Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 19,363 times

Advertisements

My wife got a faculty position in UIUC so we plan to move to Urbana-Champaign in June. We currently live in LA(actually Irvine, CA, about 40miles to downtown LA). We both came to US from China in 1997. We have a 2 year old boy and another baby boy due in July. We'd like to know how it feels to live around UIUC, where's the best place to buy a house, what you can do in weekends(for both adults and children), is there a diversified culture? I'm a software developer(mainly working on Java programming), are there job opportunities for me nearby? Any of your response will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance. - Linden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2006, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 27,940 times
lindenlu,

I have been living in Champaign-Urbana area for about 6 years. I went to UIUC for 4 years studying computer science and mathematics. Now I run a small internet related business from my condo here. Since UIUC is such a large school, it's mostly the students that make this twin city (Champaign and Urbana) come alive, especially the business district around Green street. I'm 24 so I don't know much about raising a family here. But there is a very nice park very close to where I live with bike trails and play areas for the kids, and the park is filled with sculptures and statues. It seems like the city spent a lot of money on it. The city has many gyms and fitness areas. (I know because my brother is a personal trainer and he has worked at many of them)

Wolfram Research ( http://www.wolfram.com/ ) is based from here so maybe you could get a software job with them. The Urbana area seems to be growing fast and there's a lot of new housing development so you won't have trouble finding a house. If you have any more questions email me at dominikm (a t) gmail.com

Thanks,

Dominik

Old 05-01-2006, 07:35 PM

6 posts, read 41,712 times
Champaign-Urbana is a great place and the University is a large part of that. Sad thing is, the public schools in town are a train wreck in comparison to the schools in the small towns just minutes away.

For the best in public schools in Champaign county, check out the small towns of Mahomet, St. Joseph, Philo, Fisher, Tolono and Savoy.

All are basically bedroom communities of C/U with not much in them, but they are all within 10 minutes of C/U, boast excellent schools, great growth, real estate opportunities and small town living with the convienences of the city just a few minutes away.

Best of luck and GO ILLINI!!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM

399 posts, read 728,071 times
I did the reverse, I lived in Urbana in the early 70s while my mom was in graduate school at U of I, then later on lived in the L. A. area from 1976-98 (I am now in South Florida). C-U is a good place to live, you'll have to adjust to the cold weather (though since you are from China, you may have experienced cold weather over there). As far as schools, if you stay in C-U long enough for your children to attend high school, I recommend University HS in Urbana. It is the laboratory school for UI and they are really first-rate. The curriculum is challenging though, so you should prepare your children accordingly.

Good luck in your move, and Go Illini!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
C-U is a great town and great for raising a family there. How would I know? I spent a short stint there. LOVED it. Go Illini! After the Wolverines and Wildcats (KY) of course

Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM

16 posts, read 87,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
Champaign-Urbana is a great place and the University is a large part of that. Sad thing is, the public schools in town are a train wreck in comparison to the schools in the small towns just minutes away.
Your kids can get a really excellent education in Champaign Public Schools if they take advanced classes (in high school). I've taught in Champaign (Central HS), and the teachers I worked with were really, really good. The schools definitely have plenty of problems. The test scores are not as good as, say, Mahomet. But the education your child will receive (as long as s/he is a good student) will be very strong academically, and far more well-rounded than you could get at Mahomet because your child would be attending school with students from all across the cultural and socio-economic spectrum, as opposed to the vastly white and middle-class student body at the surrounding towns. I have no problem with white, middle class people. I am one. But I would personally prefer that my children be socialized in a diverse school, where they can learn to be comfortable with all kinds of people, than be socialized in a homogeneous school. And the academic quality pretty much equal at the top. The best students in Mahomet and in Champaign get challenging classes taught by very competent teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
C-U is a great town and great for raising a family there. How would I know? I spent a short stint there. LOVED it. Go Illini! After the Wolverines and Wildcats (KY) of course
Gross.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM

33 posts, read 114,090 times
There's nothing "enriching" about having your children stuck in class with a bunch of "low income" students. Low income usually equals low IQ.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM

16 posts, read 87,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_the_OWL View Post
There's nothing "enriching" about having your children stuck in class with a bunch of "low income" students. Low income usually equals low IQ.
No, not low IQ...poor academic development, often bad attitudes, and underachievement. But raw intelligence doesn't really discriminate on the basis of income.

We'll just have to disagree about whether or not there is anything enriching about being in an economically diverse school. I really value it based on my experience and values, you don't...and that's fine

Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
This thread is 4-1/2 years old, people.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 14,444 times
My husband is taking a job in Champaign and I don't have one yet. Currently I work for the IRS but can't find anything there in Champaign. I want to know more about the cost of living..like housing, taxes and utilites. We are moving from the south and things are not that expensive in Mississippi, I consider this easy living here because we can afford so much more in homes, and other necessities to live, I'm just not sure about IL. Also how is the job market in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois