Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 6,356 times

Advertisements

Please do not laugh, but I am a bit worried about the supposed increased solar flare activity predicted. I would therefore like to turn my home into essentially a large faraday cage.

I have priced 1/4 inch 4x8 steel sheets for completely surrounding my home (with cut outs for windows/doors). I have also checked the weight. Each sheet will weigh 490 pounds.

I have a 1959 slab foundation that looks in good condition all the way around. Should I be able to put these sheets under siding or will I need to do something to strengthen the foundation? If I must strengthen, can I use I-beams (as I will already have to set grounding, this could be the start).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
In addition to destroying any hope of ever selling your home to anyone other than a drug lord shopping for a bullet-proof bunker the gaps that would result from even tiny windows would render your "Faraday cage" ineffective for the truly destructive X-rays emitted as well any potential EMP...
Unless you are very highly trained in the physics of constructing such a device may result in actually creating a internally reflective wave guide that would actually result in making your little house a kind of "magnifying glass" that would intensify the destructive effects of the very short wavelength radiation emitted by coronal mass ejections -- Solar flare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

International Journal of Biometeorology, Volume 17, Number 3 - SpringerLink

hardenedstructures (http://www.hardenedstructures.com/emp-protection.html - broken link)

Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Wouldn't it be easier and more effective to wear a full suit of armor? Then you would be protected at all times - not just when you are in your house.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I live in one. I had no idea what it was when I boight it. I suspect the seller didn't either. What I can tell you is I cannot pull a rodio signal inside my house from any station - even the local that is 2 miles down the road. The battery powered radio is useless.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Any chance you're living in one these?

Lustron Preservation » Detailed Description of Lustron System

There are little cluster of these around Berwyn / Cicero border west of Chicago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I live in one. I had no idea what it was when I boight it. I suspect the seller didn't either. What I can tell you is I cannot pull a rodio signal inside my house from any station - even the local that is 2 miles down the road. The battery powered radio is useless.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM

NO. My house was probably built in the late 30's and it has been build out, too. .

Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,356 times
Karlsch, I am not afraid of the actions of a solar flare on me. I will die sometime, not even I care if I live or die. As they say, we ain't getting out of this one alive. My only preference is that is be painless.

Also I know there are regular high intensity periods that lifeforms have experienced on the earth for 2+ billion years including our own for 75k-2000k years depending on where you cut off our species.

It is my computer equipment I am worried about and all of its software. I back up but in an EMP the hardware would be damaged. I want to be able to have my toys in working condition until then.

Does that explain my reasons for wanting to make a home into a faraday cage. To protect my computer hardware.

Chet Everett, I think I can prepare a cage and I had even considered the windows. Using decorative steel shutters that actually close. My doors are already steel though only about 1 mm thick per side (thermal security doors). I do however thank you, the video article indicates the actual solar flare activity will not be much higher than normal. It also indicates the coronal mass ejections are slow moving clouds that will be seen 2-3 days before arrival allowing time for disconnecting and protecting in a small cage. I can just take a vacation.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM

If you have 2-3 days notice you can back up to an external drive and store it in a bank vault. I would think the rest you can store in a windowless basement without damage.

I would seriously ask in the Science forum.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
You're much more likely to have computer damage from a lightning strike than from solar emanations. But your computer is only a tool (albeit an expensive one). Your value resides in your data and software, as you already know. So yes, start asking in the Science forum about how to do effective backup/restore. It'll be a better use of your money and efforts than trying to put some sort of shield around your house.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 AM

174 posts, read 371,104 times
This sounds like another Y2K scare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois