Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 55,640 times

Advertisements

In response to the person above me, yeah I haven't heard anything about murder. I hear about vandalism often and I'd rather have that, then murder!

I do have to say one BAD thing about CWL. Their maintenance sucks! The plow trucks tilted the wood my mailbox was on and they were trying to tell me that's not what it was....in all honesty, I don't care who did it. FIX IT! It's been a month and they never did a thing to it, so my next door neighbor did!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,198 times
Default moving to boone county

Think twice! They are allowing building without restraint. acres and acres of pale vinyl houses and they STILL have apparently no idea how they are going to deal with paying for the new schools, roads, sewer, water, etc. they are having meetings to appoint committees to investigate and meanwhile the problem gets worse and worse. And the police... well because of several bad experiences, i have programmed the state police number into my cell phone. Maybe in a few years it'll straightnen out, but meanwhile...keep looking.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:12 AM

It will all get figured out "homebody"....communities have been doing it for years. You think this if the first time a county has been built up? I think not. Communities grow...have faith.

Poplar Grove elementary school just got granted money to expand their school from 250 children to 500. They are building on 14 additional classrooms and so on.....the junior high is the old HS so it's fitting. And their HS in new.....I am not worried about it. Things will all pan out!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 17,067 times
Steer clear of Candlewick. There are many other nice areas surrounding Candlewick to consider, especially if you have kids.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 AM

9 posts, read 42,284 times
IMO I would give a second thought to buying something at Candlewick lake.My Husband and his Dad were thinking of buying a lot back in 1993.Even then they heard not so great things about this subdivision.Wow even 14 years later Candlewick lake is still the target of negative conversation!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 PM

You know it's all a matter of if you live here or not...you can't listen to what everybody says. I really moved in here not knowing anything and it's not bad at all. The association ticks me off, but again, it's not that bad....the only I worry about is not being able to sell my house when the time comes.

I feel completely safe here. It's a great place to raise kids as well. There are other great communities here...sure, but for a hefty price. I would love to move into one of those houses with the runways in the back yard, but that's not going to happen! :P

Old 07-05-2007, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,908 times
Default Notagoodplace

You really should weigh all of the pros and cons when moving into Candlwick. The schools aren't very good currently...however, there are measures that may improve some of those negative issue in the future. Also, there are very few jobs in the area, I'm not sure where you currently live but do understand that if you move to Poplar Grove there may be long commutes involved...if you plan to work. Also, drive throught the community yourself once in the am...then at noon...and again in the evenving. You'll learn alot about the community. One thing you may not notice, unless you're a particular observer, is that many of the homes in the area are forsale, foreclosed etc. People are leaving the community for various reasons (why) I'm not sure. Maybe it is the pricey sewer bill, the rise in taxes\association fees, homes are not increasing in value, poor schools, having to ask to put a fence in your yard, or a number of other reasons. But the fact is that they are moving. I live and Candlwick and I can tolerate it, but I was in the military for some time and I'm used to living in military housing...its the same. But if you like managing your your assets\property the way you won't when you want. You may want to really consider moving somewhere else....

Old 09-07-2007, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 20,330 times
Default Candlewick Lake

I'm truly not a big forum posting kind of guy. As I sat here at work reading these post on my community (yes I should be working I know) I had to say something.

My family and I have lived in major cities. NY, San Diego, Norfolk, and even Japan. I could not be happier living in (what I consider) a rulal area. Candlewick Lake is a great community, with outstanding ammenities if you choose to use them and get your money's worth. Fishing, boating, golfing, beach, gym, and a restuarant inside the community. WELL worth the cost to live there (again) if you use them. I can't speak for everyone, but my neighbors are friendly, and I have had no problems with the schools. I live in the NW side of the lake, and my kids each attend a different school. Elementary, middle and high. Excellant teachers, and staff!

Crime in my area is non-existant, not even (as previously stated) vandalism. I believe the folks posting negitive items on here have not truly used or read the by-laws. The by-law are in place to make sure property values stay up, and people "do the right thing". Cut your lawn, do not speed through the neighborhood, pick up after yourself etc. Things that should not need to be said, but as you drive around through other neighborhoods, truly look at the way people keep thier properties. You will not find that in Candlewick.

The water/sewage bill is a bit high, but so is gas. I'll pay a bit more to have a good quality of life. Truly, the bill is not much more in comparisan to folks that live in Lake County.

For sale signs and foreclosures are a product of the market right now. You nor I can control that. I do not believe houses stay on the market longer in Candlewick. The market has changed, and everything comes in cycles. People that are seeling a home need to stage it right, and not be greedy in a buyers market. It's all subjective these days.

My home with all the ammenities would have cost me around $300,000 in Lake or McHenry county. I paid well under that.

If you are thinking about making Candlewick Lake your home. Get information from a Realtor and the website on our community. A few people on here with a negitive or positive should not effect your decision.

Can you put a price on a great way of life?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 AM

90 posts, read 353,014 times
Default Great Thread

I just stumbled onto this site today and find this great thread about Candlewick. What a great debate here. This thread is a mirror image of the conversations the residents of Candlewick have themselves.
I can tell you from experience that you either love it or hate it. The information in this thread is great for someone that has never been here.
Yes the lake had problems, but now everything is great
Yes the local police have their tickets, but it keeps the "hometown" feel in check.
Yes the water bill is high, but the property taxes are incredibly low! After factoring in your taxes, association dues, and utilities, you're paying the same amount in Candlewick as you would out of Candlewick in the same County.
There's crime is every County across the County. If the stats about crime rate scare you, then you need to go live in the middle of the country on a farm.
Yes, there are two school districts in Candlewick. Both are very good, both a growing very fast.

Overall, Candlewick is a very nice community. It's a shame that it has such a bad rap from some people.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 09-16-2007 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: AD

Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 20,330 times
Default Property values

Jeff,

Great post.....Quick question..Do you see property values going up or staying pretty steady in Candlewick? I'm looking to re-finance some time in the near future but don't want to waste my time if the market won't support it. The new golf course was suppose to boost values, have you seen that in your travels? Thanks,

Pat

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 09-16-2007 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: ad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois