Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM

41 posts, read 85,005 times

Advertisements

Like it says, I am new to Northern, IL...well Illinois as a whole. Moved up here from Texas about a month ago, and I am LOVING it! Yes, yes, I am aware of the winters lol. Anyway, I do not know a soul up here! I know this may not be the best place to reachout for others but everything else is a dating site and seeing as I am married with two kiddos....not going there lol. So, what is there to do here? I am 29M and in Rockford, though my job has me constantly going to places like La Salle, Bloomington, Peoria, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,355 times
You can try those meet up sites for people who have shared interests.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
I'm not terribly familiar with the Rockford area specifically, but can give you a few tips for some near by areas where you can do stuff on the weekends.

Just down I-39 near La Salle is Starved Rock State Park. Cool place to take the kids camping or for just a day trip with hiking. There's a lot to do in southern Wisconsin. The Dells is your prototypical summer tourist trap, but kids tend to love it. I even enjoy it, maybe because I went there a lot as a kid myself. A lot of the stuff shuts down after labor day, but there are 4 resorts in the area with massive indoor waterparks that run year-round. Circus World Museum is near the Dells in Baraboo. It's a "working" museum with circus acts and attractions. A little north and west of there is the Elroy-Sparta bike trail. Its on an old rail line so the inclines are modest. There are three tunnels along the route, ranging from a little over a quarter mile to almost 3/4 of a mile long. You can even rent bikes if you don't have a vehicle capable of transporting your own bikes. Took my then-8-year-old there a couple years ago and he had a ball. West from you is historic Galena, an artsy little community where you'll find the Ulysses S. Grant Home historic site and the typical craft and antique shops. There are some newer hotels/resorts as well as some more historic hotels and Bed-&-Breakfasts. If you like skiing there's a resort near Galena and several in southern Wisconsin. East of you is the fox river valley area. St. Charles and Geneva are particularly nice. There are more bike trails there, mostly along side the river so again flat and easy to ride.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM

223 posts, read 662,649 times
There's a recent thread called "Bloomington or Peoria" -- something to that effect. Read through it for some ideas, and some particularly good ideas for Peoria from site member linicx.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Peoria has a lot of stuff that goes on that is cool for kids like the Wheels O' Time Museum, Lookout Tower (187'), Planetarium and Science Museum, Chuck E. Cheese, two zoological parks, river cruise, carriage rides, trolley tours, and water fountains to play in. The problem is distance. If I remember correctly, its about 90 miles to Peoria. For a dad who drives all week for his job, Peoria is a long haul. Grizzly Jack's Resort and indoor water park that is outside of Starved Rock should be closer. Only overnight guests have access to the facilities. But the good news is the cabins have washer/dryer and fully equipped kitchens as there is no restaurant nearby.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 PM

90 posts, read 353,164 times
There are plenty of things to do here.
Rockford has an amazing park district. I encourage you to get the kids involved. They have a great youth hockey program. Even if your kids have never skated, there are programs for that too.
The Discovery Center is a great place to take the family. Be ready to spend most of the day there though.
The Rockford Ice Hogs are the AHL affiliate for the Chicago Blackhawks. That is a great family atmosphere.
The Burbpe museum is a nice stop. It’s a little boring for little ones but it’s worth a look.
Rock Cut State Park is incredible. Miles of hiking/biking trails, fishing, swimming (in the summer obviously) and more.
Volcano Falls on Riverside has batting cages, laser tag, game room, mini golf, and go-carts.
In the summer, be sure to go check out the Rockford Riverhawks (baseball). That’s a great time for the family too.

Both of my kids are involved with travel/club sports so that takes up most of our free time but these are the places we hit when time permits.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Be sure to take a drive over to Galena, and SW Wisconsin. Beautiful countryside!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
The Amana Colonies is not too far West of Davenport and just off I-80. It is an interesting and educational seven communities where people work and live true to their principles.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM

41 posts, read 85,005 times
WOW! Everybody! Thank you so much for the responses! And holy cow is there A LOT to do here! I am super excited now for the summer. Luckily, I dont mind driving much at all. A couple weekends ago the family and I went to Sheboygan, WI. Went to lake Michigan, Parnell Tower, and an orchard. Wow were the trees beautiful! We were able to get a lot of good pictures! Week before that we went to Dabuque, IA and took a look at the Grant historic areas along the way. This weekend I have a Golf outing in Saint Louis, and I think we want to make a trip to Chicago the weekend after next. I really am enjoying all the things we are close to! Trust me, coming for Texas, Peoria is not that far from Rockford! Thanks again guys! I will be sure to try and do all of your suggestions!!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:22 AM

19 posts, read 59,906 times
Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick (who still lives in Rockford) recently opened an exhibit “Rick’s Picks: A Lifelong Affair With Guitars and Music” at the Burpee museum.

Cheap Trick Guitarist Debuts Rockford Museum Exhibit « CBS Chicago

If you're into rock & roll memorabilia it's worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois