Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 10:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am moving next week.

1)I am dealing with a real estate attorney who says 25% of his closings are people leaving the state.
2)The movers are saying the trucks are going out full and coming back empty....so you are essentially paying the cost of both moves.
3)The car shippers said there is a nationwide driver shortage, (no doubt because people are being paid not to work) and because so many people are leaving California and the car shippers make a lot of money coming out of there because demand is so high, there are fewer drivers here.
4) I am consigning furniture because I can't use it in my new home. The consignment shop says they are full to the brim.

Just thought this was interesting.

I am also in FB group on the other end where I am moving. Hard to find new doctors because of overwhelming demand.
I remember when we moved to the chicago suburbs a few years back (spring 2018?) and our RE agent said almost all of her clients were moving out of the chicago area and we were in the small minority moving into the area.
Little did we know that 2.5 yrs later we'd be moving out ourselves. I can only imagine that there's been an uptick over the years of more and more people leaving (vs moving into the area).

Old 07-01-2021, 11:23 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Quote:
I am moving next week.

1)I am dealing with a real estate attorney who says 25% of his closings are people leaving the state.
2)The movers are saying the trucks are going out full and coming back empty....so you are essentially paying the cost of both moves.
3)The car shippers said there is a nationwide driver shortage, (no doubt because people are being paid not to work) and because so many people are leaving California and the car shippers make a lot of money coming out of there because demand is so high, there are fewer drivers here.
4) I am consigning furniture because I can't use it in my new home. The consignment shop says they are full to the brim.

I am also in FB group on the other end where I am moving. Hard to find new doctors because of overwhelming demand.
If this is true, good luck, although looking up your posting history that you are so active on in Illinois I don't see any " what are good places to move" in any other state or city. Maybe you will suddenly go from disgruntled to happy, I sure hope so, as do many others on this forum. Life is too short to complain constantly and make yourself and others miserable.

I have never understood the need to leave a wealthy world class city to go to a place where there are no doctors, few hospitals, less of everything just to save a couple of bucks literally on taxes. Maybe you can take that check for the $ you saved and have someone put it into the coffin with you after you pass from some catrastrophic illness that could have been prevented with access to good health care facilities.

In addition, this: https://res.cloudinary.com/updater-m...rt_-_FINAL.pdf Just so you know, Illinois is now ranked 27th in inbound moves vs outbound. People look like they are actually coming back to a great place to live. In addition, Moodys just upgraded Illinois bond rating yesterday, the first time in 20 years, all under Pritzker. Just a reality check to the complainers out there. You are leaving just in time.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-says/2543666/
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/6/...cy-wall-street

Last edited by Justabystander; 07-01-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-01-2021, 12:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 936,473 times
Quote:
I am moving next week.

As others.... good luck in your move. Retiring folk have been moving to Florida for decades... nothing new there. Florida is not Alabama cheap.... not for the most desirable near the coast areas. If you are already pretty wealthy. No problema as it seems you are. Selling perhaps high in Chicagoland certainly helps.

My plans were to originally retire to Florida or some form of sunbird status. Just not a trailer-court....oh no. Retiring early did not make me richer. I also knew I would find no place cheaper then what I have here in small city PA. That goes for many small cities and rural areas in all our states.

Larger metros always are a .... you are going to pay a demand premium and in a high-retirement state that was always there. Cheaper taxes also are on location location. You want the coast prime areas. You will pay for it and a hefty HOA if a condo or renting.

Once I know coastal Florida probably would not be my baby.... I have chosen to stay put. Walking to everything and just borrowing one of my Brothers vehicles give me all I need and save money too.

When someone is TRULY SUCCESSFUL say in IL and have that nearly 3000ft home and 3-car garage or something close..... They DID DARN GOOD yet never see it that way cause POLITICS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Still one will see that they will find another bit of cultural difference and life-style. No Winters for some is just so huge a plus it is part of a reason for such a choice. Not young and not gonna live to see the possible worst of climate change effecting Florida is also a plus. Within 30 yrs I say its find yet.... then there might be more and more issues like South Florida getting some will be state-wide.

So far the upper-Midwest has been more free from calamities (but for yes some tornado's that can and has hit Chicagoland and even by me in PA.... just bit rarer and they surely can hit Florida too. You are not really lossing that threat in Florida and gaining the Hurricane one.

I would also not want any flood-prone area since Slab-Homes are the norm. Getting exterminating monthly is a added expense also. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Just the fact one is SUCCESSFUL and may have a HOME TO SELL in IL is a HUGE plus that should be noted.... One who was successful in IL should at least acknowledge that also.

I am sure we will hear at least how great your wealth is going further in Florida. I await how great it is.... and if less about Florida and still they TALK STILL ALL ABOUT IL .... It may seem to be a usual case for former residents who leave with baggage and Political demonizing did not change in a move to rid oneself of it....

Best bet for Doctor's supply and hospitals might be where the most retirement communities are..... Florida is not a top rated state on that front which always surprised me. I will always remember my ex-sister-in-law who was from the Philippines. She was a registered Nurse there .... but PA would not recognize that without more re-certification and even added education..... IN FLORIDA they DID recognize her skills in Florida and one reason she did make the move and winters of course after the separation with a Sister already there.

Higher-regulated states did expect more for a registered Nurse then merely her Philippine's credentials provided..... not sure if good or not. Was certainly good for her. She bought her Sisters newer home while prices were lower also.... brought her mother and son over... though the son moved back to the Philippines for a FREE Sex-change operation.... yes fully one.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:44 PM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
If this is true, good luck, although looking up your posting history that you are so active on in Illinois I don't see any " what are good places to move" in any other state or city. Maybe you will suddenly go from disgruntled to happy, I sure hope so, as do many others on this forum. Life is too short to complain constantly and make yourself and others miserable.

I have never understood the need to leave a wealthy world class city to go to a place where there are no doctors, few hospitals, less of everything just to save a couple of bucks literally on taxes. Maybe you can take that check for the $ you saved and have someone put it into the coffin with you after you pass from some catrastrophic illness that could have been prevented with access to good health care facilities.

In addition, this: https://res.cloudinary.com/updater-m...rt_-_FINAL.pdf Just so you know, Illinois is now ranked 27th in inbound moves vs outbound. People look like they are actually coming back to a great place to live. In addition, Moodys just upgraded Illinois bond rating yesterday, the first time in 20 years, all under Pritzker. Just a reality check to the complainers out there. You are leaving just in time.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/6/...cy-wall-street
More than a couple of bucks.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:05 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
More than a couple of bucks.
my RE taxes went from 14,000 to 1,200 after leaving Illinois

Just a FEW MORE than a "couple of bucks"

Old 07-02-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my RE taxes went from 14,000 to 1,200 after leaving Illinois

Just a FEW MORE than a "couple of bucks"
That must have been a million$$$ home then? I mean that was years ago no? City or suburbs?

I remember I think you crying a loss? My taxes are cheaper in more Rural PA and I believe given a small IL city there too as much much cheaper.

I think we are curious. I know prime Chicago homes in like Lincoln Park are up there in taxes. But heck, it is still close to like a $800,00 + value home with the works. Some prized codos can be up there too. Now that is top tier. Not the bungalow belt or nice also Nothwest side of Chicago where I lived. Iv'e seen taxes all over the spectrum also. A longtime homeowner is still key to lower on average taxes. I have mine for 20-some yrs.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:35 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
you're not curious, just trying to start an argument...

I have a good friend in a 1600 SF house on the outskirts of highland park, who's latest tax bill is 13, 875.00
I also still own property in illinois; do you?

You live in PA, NOT in Illinois, so you have not clue..

Old 07-02-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
you're not curious, just trying to start an argument...

I have a good friend in a 1600 SF house on the outskirts of highland park, who's latest tax bill is 13, 875.00
I also still own property in illinois; do you?

You live in PA, NOT in Illinois, so you have not clue..
I did not deny you taxes as cheap as that in dry Nevada. Just we would like to know a tad on you home you sold in I believe Chicagoland.

Arguing is saying you are not being honest which I did not.

I look are real estate and taxes in Chicagolad. Alway interesting on location, value and taxes. Can be big differences.

If fully happy in dry Nevada that is great. I believe in fully coming to terms with what life gives you. Letting go of bad memories and blame.

Your friend was not you saying YOUR taxes when you lived in Chicagoland was $14,000.

Also seems you sold years ago. Was yours $14,000 then? I left IL for reasons of returning home and My Father a major having accident I was still in my 20s.

I saw my owning a home on Chicago's Northwest side in the mid-80s already out of reach for me. I sooo wanted a pink brick bungalow ranch then. If only I got more degrees ... Though all my relatives who owned in Chicago were blue-collar workers.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
It's not an exaggeration, most of the ~$600k homes around my area (far West suburbs) are $14,000ish in taxes.

Here's a $660K home with $18K taxes. Down from $21K in 2016, but it's trending back up now, plus another $1K per year in HOA fees. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...12443839_zpid/

So even if you completely paid off your home, you still get to pay nearly $2K per month.

I can't do Florida though, just too damn hot most of the year. I'm thinking South, but in the mountains where at least it cools down at night during the Summer.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 07-02-2021 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-02-2021, 08:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post

27th is meaningless..... the moves out still are greater than the moves into IL. Even the 17th place state in this ranking has more moves out than in.

IL bond ratings are still bad and the worst state's bond rating in the nation by far. Not even NJ is close to as bad. Nonsensical info. IL bond ratings were decent... not great but decent.... just 10 years ago.

IL was one of the few states to ever default, back in the panic of 1837. The attempts to say that other states get into trouble are excuse-making or gross ignorance. IL is currently in the top 3 for state debt per individual at $52,000 per person.... so that's over $200k per family of 4. CT, IL, and NJ are all way ahead of the rest of the states in debt and all 3 are between $50k and $60k of debt per individual. And I see some criticism of TN but the state has a more than enough funds to pay it's debts; it is currently running a $3.4K long term surplus per individual.

It's baffling to see so many folks fooling themselves about IL finances. It is what it is. Trying to spin the story is just self-deception at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois