Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 09:55 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
27th is meaningless..... the moves out still are greater than the moves into IL. Even the 17th place state in this ranking has more moves out than in.

IL bond ratings are still bad and the worst state's bond rating in the nation by far. Not even NJ is close to as bad. Nonsensical info. IL bond ratings were decent... not great but decent.... just 10 years ago.

IL was one of the few states to ever default, back in the panic of 1837. The attempts to say that other states get into trouble are excuse-making or gross ignorance. IL is currently in the top 3 for state debt per individual at $52,000 per person.... so that's over $200k per family of 4. CT, IL, and NJ are all way ahead of the rest of the states in debt and all 3 are between $50k and $60k of debt per individual. And I see some criticism of TN but the state has a more than enough funds to pay it's debts; it is currently running a $3.4K long term surplus per individual.

It's baffling to see so many folks fooling themselves about IL finances. It is what it is. Trying to spin the story is just self-deception at best.
At 27th, it beats out Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa, all surrounding states. It is trending up, and Chicago is seen as a world class city that is more affordable than NYC, LA, SF, Boston and Washington, among others. Illinois is finally getting its fiscal house in order in baby steps. While IL and NJ have their problems, according to Bloomberg, Illinois is home to the 12 most affluent towns in America, NJ home to 14 in the top 100. NJ is home to Princeton, IL home to Northwestern, U of C and the U of I. Education and high paying jobs for those who work hard and achieve.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/top...-wealthy-uhnw/ A new survey came out pointing out globally where ultra high net worth individuals live. Chicago was number 7 in the WORLD. The city continues to become more educated and wealthy. I am sure that these individuals took the opportunities here and built upon them.

Every time I go on to the Illinois forum, It never ceases to amaze me at the whining of some person who probably has little or nothing to lose by getting out of here. Bad job, little family or friends, hate for his/her surroundings. I am sure that my property bill is probably more than most on this forum. I am paying for the privilege of good schools for my kids, social services for those around me, cultural institutions, hospitals, transportation, and being close to well paying jobs and opportunities that come from living in a 9.5 million metropolis. Chicago is a great city with 200+ suburbs, a flavor for everyone.

No one is fooling themselves about Illinois finances. They are getting better slowly, and people are aware of the problem and working on it, as shown by the first improvment in the bond rating in 20 years and the 3rd balanced budget in a row.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:01 AM

734 posts, read 486,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coccino View Post
That's probably because your house is worth a lot less than it was in Illinois. I'm sure a small ranch in Englewood or Elizabethtown Illinois has taxes close to 1,200
It's not just a matter of how much your house is worth.

Exhibit A: tax rates.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...ty-taxes/11585

Old 07-03-2021, 07:09 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coccino View Post
That's probably because your house is worth a lot less than it was in Illinois. I'm sure a small ranch in Englewood or Elizabethtown Illinois has taxes close to 1,200
my cuirrent house value has almost DOUBLED in value in just 4 years..where has that happened in the "Land of Lincoln"?

Old 07-03-2021, 08:07 AM

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

https://www.homesbymarco.com/cities/hinsdale_il

Here is the link to the sale statistics in town you claimed you lived in in Illinois, Hinsdale, which you said you couldn't unload at around $200,000, but your taxes were $14,000. The MEDIAN in Hinsdale now is $1,060,000 for a house, up 18%. Sales are up over 100% year over year. That is what is happening in the Land of Lincoln, Just scroll down to the sales statistics. Other towns are even greater in appreciation.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-03-2021 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-03-2021, 08:33 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
https://www.homesbymarco.com/cities/hinsdale_il

Here is the link to the sale statistics in town you claimed you lived in in Illinois, Hinsdale, which you said you couldn't unload at around $200,000, but your taves were $14,000.
show me where I said I couldnt unload my house for 200k...making stuff up doesnt make your fantasy more real..

Old 07-03-2021, 09:31 AM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
They always come back.
No, they don't. I lived in Illinois 20 years ago, saw the direction it was going and got the hell out. You couldn't pay me enough to move back. Anything you paid me would be stolen by the Democrats in taxes anyway.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
No, they don't. I lived in Illinois 20 years ago, saw the direction it was going and got the hell out. You couldn't pay me enough to move back. Anything you paid me would be stolen by the Democrats in taxes anyway.
I made the mistake of coming back and now I'm looking to leave again. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

However, when I returned we had a 3% income tax, Republican Governor and a half sane mayor of Chicago. I thought maybe, just maybe things would improve, but now I realize I made a grave error in judgement. Oh well, live and learn...

Old 07-03-2021, 05:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I left back in 81 and for some years until the early 2000's still visited (the North Shore) several times till my parents passed away. No family there anymore and I watched it's demise slowly but surely. I must say however the last decade has been by far the worst one could imagine compared to the years prior. It seems your government just continued to ignore the public, and the south and west sides of the city have declined into a shear warzone. Not that they were over the last 40 years great places or anything, just that they sure turned into advanced sewers. The events there over just the last 2 years alone put your beloved city into some rather non desirable categories to say the least. Numbers don't lie. There continues to be record numbers of exiles. Your taxes are beyond absurd and inner city life is a shear nightmare. But if you want to glorify it and make it what it's not go right ahead. We'll just watch your implosion from a distance (fortunately).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-03-2021 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-03-2021, 06:21 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
People, I've done a bit of cleanup of this thread, deleting recent rude, off-topic and/or trolling posts. Thank you, member who reported it. There aren't enough hours in a day to read through 300 more posts and delete what doesn't belong.

Remember the Terms of Service whenever you post: rude remarks, personal attacks; hijacking and trolling are not permitted. Stay on topic. You may dispute information posted by others, but you may not attack the veracity, character, intelligence nor the intent of another member.

If the thread goes awry again, it will be permanently locked.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
show me where I said I couldnt unload my house for 200k...making stuff up doesnt make your fantasy more real..
I tried to go back and find your post where you stated this, but they only go back so far. Actually, I was wrong about the amount of increase in Hinsdale real estate, where you once lived. In looking at the link I provided, in June, year over year, the appreciation according to the link I provided was 38.1% (2020 to 2021) to a median price of $1,160,000 for a house, and a market time of 9 days. RED HOT.

My fantasy is posted in black and white and posted with actual statistics in the link. If I were you, according to these stats, I would be re-examining my move and sale of my house in Illinois. If you sold for $200k, or even $300k, and your house in AZ is now worth $300k or $350k, you have lost big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois