Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 52,025 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of Elmhurst (which i love by the way) because it is getting way to expensive and we need a bigger house. I work downtown so can live wherever there is a train station. Does anyone have any thougts on Manhattan, IL? I think it is kind of what naperville was about 30 years ago...farming community, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,219 times
Default Manhattan is nice

Hi! I'm from Manhattan, grew up there as a kid and had a good time. Just wanted to drop you a little information......

You're kind of right in what you said, Manhattan is a bit more of a farming community. But it has seen a few businesses pop up and whatnot recently, so it's getting away from that. Still though, I think it's a very nice small town, with nice people, and if you have a family, it's a great place for kids to grow up.

Some plus side aspects of Manhattan....

-small town feeling
-friendly community
-you're surrounded by farm land, but go north 45 minutes and you're in Chicago
-on the other hand, go south 45 minutes, and you're in the middle of nowhere (great for camping, parks, etc)
-EXCELLENT school system (that's why it's growing so much)
-property values consistently going up over last 15 years
-brand new Metro station

Of course, there are all the usual downsides to a small town, but nothing really other than that. Feel free to send me a private message if you have specific questions. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 16,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoclone View Post
I am moving out of Elmhurst (which i love by the way) because it is getting way to expensive and we need a bigger house. I work downtown so can live wherever there is a train station. Does anyone have any thougts on Manhattan, IL? I think it is kind of what naperville was about 30 years ago...farming community, etc.
I have lived in Manhattan for fifteen years and love it. Town is growing and fast! There is now Metra service twice daily. About a hour and 15 to Chicago. Housing stock is plentiful. Tons of new subdivisons going in.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:48 PM

16 posts, read 111,537 times
I used to work in Manhattan--housing is reasonably priced for being in the acclaimed Lincoln-Way high school district, and new subdivisions are popping up all over due to that. It still has a small town feel--it reminds me of what nearby Frankfort and New Lenox used to be like 20 years ago. Property values are increasing at a good rate due to the school system, and more people discovering this hidden gem. Metra added a station there earlier this year, so definitely take a look at Manhattan.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 12,740 times
If you haven't moved yet- New Lenox is next to Manhattan and a little more built up but still very nice. I used to live in New Lenox and work in downtown Chicago. On an express train it was an hour ten minute commute. Manahattan is a bit further. Don't know if you have a family but something to keep in mind.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:31 PM

17 posts, read 65,696 times
Post Ain't even close to Naperville

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoclone View Post
First, my daughter lives in Manhattan--she lives there because her boyfriend wanted to move there. Manhattan is much more like Wilmington than Naperville--and the term we always used for those areas wasn't "redneck" or "hillbilly" but "yellowhammer" and it hasn't changed much. I've only visited out there a couple of times because its depressing. She lived near downtown--there's biker bar a couple of blocks from the house. Also remember that infrastructure in Will County is not something that's top of the list. Metra does travel to Manhattan now, but it doesn't travel on weekends and if you have to take highways, it's about 20-30 minutes before you get to I-80(by New Lenox). High school is Lincoln Way.

Only other person I knew that lived there ended up in prison for sexually abusing his step-daughter(that was in the early 90's).

Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 6,954 times
Manhattan is not like Wilmington. I live outside Manhattan. It is a growning community. There are a lot of affordable new house's as well as larger custom homes in the area depending on what you are looking for. It is only about 15 minuets away from I-80 and the same to I-55. Either way it is close to the express way, has the Metra station, and is maybe 20 way from Joliet and New Lenox which also has train stations. It is changing from a farm community, however, you'll still have the local's which are nothing like "yellow-hammers". The school district is one of the best and if you have kid's there will be another branch completed in 09'. I think Manhattan is a good choice.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 AM

220 posts, read 675,389 times
If you think Manhattan is like Wilmington, you are dead wrong..

Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
Manhattan will go the same was as Frankfort or Tinley Park now that there is train service there. Next will be Chicago water installed some 10-15 years from now. With 355 coming into the area in the next couple of months this area is going to boom meaning more shopping, wider roads will be needed, more schools need I go on? Manhattan is the Tinley Park of the 1970\'s where little subdivisions dotted the land inbetween the corn and soybean fields back when Harlem Avenue didn\'t even go all the way through yet. Manhattan may look rural today, but wait. At one time only 30 years ago Orland Park was rural, now look at it!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM

220 posts, read 675,389 times
Isn't their a tentative plan for LW South to open in Manhattan between 2011-2013?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois