Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,536 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to which Bschool among the following three is good(in terms of job opportunities,cost of living, tution fee) to pursue an MBA degree.
1.IIT Chicago
2.NIU
3.LOYOLA.

Any one who could help me out,Please reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
What kind of field within business are you trying to pursue afterwards (what do you want your MBA concentration to be in)?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Weird choices...

IIT Kent has a couple of decent programs like a combined JD/MBA and a computational finance but is otherwise unremarkable.

NIU has programs for folks with jobs in Naperville and Hoffman, but those serve specialized subgroups. Regional / main campus is not going to generate much hiring...

Loyola has a fraction of the alumni network that DePaul does...

Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I don't know it it opened or not, but a couple of years ago ISU was talking about starting a new Masters program in Chicago for business majors.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 AM

Hi reppin,
I am not yet decided about the concentration. I am planning to decide on that during my 1st year of MBA study.As of now, I am concerned about which Bschool to choose. How is the reputation of IIT Chicago's MBA program. Please let me know.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 AM

Can someone provide info on good bschools in illinois. I know booth,kellogg,uic are on the top of the list. But apart from them?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
ISU at Normal has an excellent math program, and it is one of the top 14 actuary schools in North America. They decided to open a MBA program in Chicago because of the business opportunities. Attending at ISU is considerably less costly than most Chicago schools. There is also EIU, SIU, and WIU. Bradley is private and it too has a solid MBA and doctoral programs. SIU may have an MBA at Springfield, but I am not sure as it is a smaller satellite. Most of the other schools I am familiar with are four year only.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 AM

While deciding on a concentration during your first year is not the worst idea it might be wise to at least consider what sorts of things you hope to gain from spending a big pile of money and quite a lot of time at any of these schools. What was your undergrad major? What sort of college did you attend? Which classes did you find the most enjoyable? What corses did you earn your highest grades? Do you have any work experience? What sorts of things do you envision after completing your MBA?

Frankly the few clues I gave might be a good starting point -- the range of recruiters / alumni connections you could leverage from any of these schools is orders of magnitude less good than either the world class MBA programs like NU & UofC or even the very reputation driven programs at DePaul or Notre Dame's Chicago campus. If you do not have a rather focused plan / realistic goal it might be better to rethink your path. IIT does have one of the more respected programs for combined JD/MBA as well as solid mathematical finance offerings. If neither or those programs appeal to you I would not go there. NIU has lots of "cadre" students that work together at the Naperville or Hoffman Eststes campuses how intend ,mat least initially, to continue their careers with their current employers. Students at the main campus that have connections to "downstate" employers tend to do well down that path but options for national recruiting are more limited. Finally Loyola has been successful in helping the careers of some folks in the broad healthcare fields as well as not-for-profit executives though less successful as a "general" path to national recruiters. Even the connections to McDonalds executives, who once huge supporters of Loyola's Business School, have faded over the years...

What do you hope to acheive both in schools and afterwards?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM

Hi chet,
Thank you! I have 3 yrs of work experience. I did my engineering and have always enjoyed maths. After MBA, I see myself as a consultant for a couple of yrs and then work towards becoming one among the top management. I am very much interested in Loyola chicago. Can you tell me more about it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

With out knowing anything else I would suggest that Loyola is among the less mathematically oriented B-Schools in the region -- Purdue and Carnigie Mellon are two B-Schools that immediately come to mind as possibly be a better fit for someone that excels in math and has engineering experience...

The salaries that Loyola grads typically recieve reflect the fact that it is not in the "top 100"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois