Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times

Advertisements

The most pressing issue facing the state and its budget yet again goes unresolved. This issue is far more important than anything passed this legislative session, yet the two chambers still couldn't move beyond their respective impasses. The House didn't even vote on the Senate's plan.

Lawmakers leave without pension reform - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

In my opinion, lawmakers should be forced to continue to spend their time in Springfield without pay until they come to a consensus. Certainly they don't deserve to be paid if they call another special session...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM

149 posts, read 256,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The most pressing issue facing the state and its budget yet again goes unresolved. This issue is far more important than anything passed this legislative session, yet the two chambers still couldn't move beyond their respective impasses. The House didn't even vote on the Senate's plan.

Lawmakers leave without pension reform - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

In my opinion, lawmakers should be forced to continue to spend their time in Springfield without pay until they come to a consensus. Certainly they don't deserve to be paid if they call another special session...

We need to vote almost all of the people out of office, pat quinn needs to go and the Chicago mayor is going to only be a one term mayor. This state is going to go straight into the toilet. We are going to have the lowest credit rating of all the states and it is going to get to the point where people are going to leave the state in masses just to get away from all the crap that is going on down state. I was shocked they where able to pass a conceal and carry measure because they really haven't gotten anything done.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
There is something that is worse for the moment. The legislature overturned Quinn's Veto that would have stopped ComEd from adding an additional raise of the utilities. ComED lined pockets and now y'all get to pay an additional $71M in addition to the $311M it was awarded just took a couple of day ago. All the utility companies are colluding to weaken state PUC/CUB and state Commerce Commissions from border to border.

I think our wonderful legislators and principle government employees in Springfield need to be gifted with boxes of road apples, cow patties, and used tea bags. I've had enough and I'm reasonably tolerant.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:18 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is something that is worse for the moment. The legislature overturned Quinn's Veto that would have stopped ComEd from adding an additional raise of the utilities. ComED lined pockets and now y'all get to pay an additional $71M in addition to the $311M it was awarded just took a couple of day ago. All the utility companies are colluding to weaken state PUC/CUB and state Commerce Commissions from border to border.

I think our wonderful legislators and principle government employees in Springfield need to be gifted with boxes of road apples, cow patties, and used tea bags. I've had enough and I'm reasonably tolerant.
I'm not sure the Smart Grid veto veto is worse. It certainly doesn't attract the kind of vitriolic editorials like pension reform. See just this morning's Trib:

Editorial: Madigan, Cullerton and the price of their petulance - chicagotribune.com

Old 06-01-2013, 07:39 AM

219 posts, read 377,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyDC10AA View Post
We need to vote almost all of the people out of office, pat quinn needs to go and the Chicago mayor is going to only be a one term mayor. This state is going to go straight into the toilet. We are going to have the lowest credit rating of all the states and it is going to get to the point where people are going to leave the state in masses just to get away from all the crap that is going on down state. I was shocked they where able to pass a conceal and carry measure because they really haven't gotten anything done.
This state is already in the toilet!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 PM

It does me little good to complain because I cannot move. Sadly its the same thing in D.C.. Getting rid of the honest legislators, yes there are a few who try to represnet their constituents, is nota solution.

Being able to tell the sheep from the wolf in sheep's clothing is the trick.

If there is good news it is the legislators passed some new regs and stiff rules regarding fracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'm not sure the Smart Grid veto veto is worse. It certainly doesn't attract the kind of vitriolic editorials like pension reform. See just this morning's Trib:

Editorial: Madigan, Cullerton and the price of their petulance - chicagotribune.com

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 PM

There are two places in California I really like. Palm Springs and the ocean in the winter. Good luck with your move. I probably should say that was tongue in cheek, or maybe foot in mouth. I enjoyed it when I visited my kids. We took the dogs out to the beach in the winter and and took pictures. If I could have a beach house and dogs I'd be very happy. The rent prices near the ocean are insane. But you can get a nice house, condo or apartment in Oceanside or Vista for under $2000. A one bedroom in Venice Beach is about the same. But if you get 40 miles from the beach, or up around Hayword the COL is less. Beverley Hills, Malibu, Carmel, and places like that the rent is probably 3x higher. If you are accustomed to paying $100 for a lobster dinner you will not be shocked. Winters are warm enough that you can usually heat with artificial logs in a wood burning fireplace. Most modern apartments have some type of fireplace. If you get closer to the mountains you'll see snow and you might even get some.

Real Estate taxes are worse than Chicago; so are the gasoline prices and cigarettes, but you also find a head shop (that was a trip). On the other hand if you rent a place with fruit trees you can pick your breakfast. You can get good buys at grocery stores like Albertson's, Von's, Smiths, and Ralph's (Kroger). It is not unusual to find lemons and limes 10/$1.00 and rice in barrels for $1 pound. Boney's has some good buys too. And you will find Trader Joe's, Costco, Apple, Walmart, Target, and other familiar stores. Freshly picked dates are yummy, and the avocado is inexpensive too; you can buy those by the bag. I love the 8 lane banks that stay open to 10pm most nights and are open 7 days except holidays. Fry's has come good buys on all things electronic.

I spent more time in SD county than I did in LA. Speaking of ... there is some type of metro between SD and LA. SD airport is smaller and has weird routes, but SW Airlines has good deals. It is not that hard to catch a flight to LV.. One other thing, there is some really good medical care in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Musician View Post
Well, I'm going to worse. Moving to California in 2 weeks.

Last edited by linicx; 06-03-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
All along I thought this was a game between Madigan and Cullerton. Let's appease the masses by trying REALLY hard to pass needed legislation, but let's not anger our constituents so we can hold onto power. Let's play this long enough to hold onto power during the Statewide election of 2014...........
OR, it's a lose lose situation and Cullerton and Madigan cannot agree on best choice:
1) pass Madigan's plan and keep swing voters, moderate voters and maybe gain some "RHINO's" BUT Union voters stay home or vote R
2) do nothing, keep Union voters happy but lose swing voters and moderates.
3) Pass Cullerton's plan and lose some Union voters and ?? with swing voters and Moderates vote R.
Hello!?!?! Will voters finally make changes in 2014?? Will Republicans finally learn to keep their traps shut regarding social issues?? Will D voters finally wake up and cross party lines to get office holders who will actually do something?!

It's a pathetic version of the movie "Groundhog Day" and i/we keep hoping they will FINALLY get the day RIGHT!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Cullerton's plan is a waste of paper and time. Pass Madigan's bill and be done with it. Unfortunatey, looks like we have to wait until 2014?!?!?!?!!?

Idiots.....

Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 PM

41 posts, read 91,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Musician View Post
Well, I'm going to worse. Moving to California in 2 weeks.
You're actually improving your situation.

Illinois credit rating lowered after pension reform failure

California has actually made concrete strides toward improving its fiscal situation. Illinois? Nope. Only in Illinois can one party hold a supermajority in each house of the legislature AND the Governor's mansion and still manage to fail to pass something as pressing as pension reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois