Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 06:40 PM

108 posts, read 135,054 times

Advertisements

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Not looking for some lofty position--I would be willing to work at the university, be a teacher assistant, or in a library. I would also like to know if there are many outdoors activities nearby--lakes for swimming and kayaking, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 AM

369 posts, read 760,035 times
I'm not familiar with the job market there but central Illinois is wonderful for outdoor activities. Not far from Champaign is Clinton Lake, and there are many other state parks and forest preserves within a 30 mile radius.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
If you're a "water person" it takes a little work to find recreation around here. There are small public lakes ('large ponds" might be a better description) at Urbana's Crystal Lake Park & Champaign's Kaufman Park. Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve in Mahomet is a little bit larger, but not much. Used to be a swimming beach there but not any longer. Clinton Lake 30 min to the west and Lake Shelbyville ~ 1 hour to the south are the closest real boating destinations.

Employment prospects are decent; The unemployment rate in Champaign County is consistently lower than the state-wide average. Most recently is was 6.5% indicating that most people who really want a job can find one. Don't expect premium wages, however. Costs of living are a little lower than average here and so are the wages.

Getting hired at the University of Illinois can be an exercise in patience. Unless you are qualified for a faculty job, the process typically begins with an extensive online civil service application, then some aptitude testing. If you score high enough for a particular line of work, you go on a list to be called for further interviewing when and if a position opens. Sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes years.

You might also consider Parkland Community College for employment. My wife applied to U of I first, then Parkland. By the time U of I finally called her for an interview she was already working for Parkland.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Have you considered Madison, WI? Better option regarding outdoor activities, kayaking and lakes for swimming!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM

Yes, the only thing is that Champaign/Urbana has more reasonable housing costs than Madison, which mirror my current location (Chicagoland). But that is still on the radar, as well.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 AM

What about Carbondale, Peoria, or the Quad Cities? IMO, prettier areas with more natural beauty and outdoor activities. What about Bloomington, IN? Champaign is not a bad area, but for cycling, kayaking, camping and outdoor activities, surely there are better choices. And I'm not so sure I wouldn't leave the state if starting new. The political dysfunction permeates so much of the news that it becomes a bit of a mental burden after a while...........

Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM

Um...I didn't grasp your last sentence. Are you referring to political upheaval in general? Because IL has its own madness. Dear God, I have lived here my whole life and I am so over the bee ess with Crook County, etc.

If you are saying that starting new is too risky in another state, why? I am here in the Western 'burbs of Crook County. I rarely even get an interview. So staying safe doesn't even make sense. Plus, you have to take some risks in life. It's uncharacteristic of me but I realize how much that holds us back. Staying safe instead of expanding and allowing faith to guide us when we feel driven to make a change.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM

What I am saying is that the entire State is in a financial mess and I would look at other states as well.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
I don't know a whole lot about the job market in the Champaign area but its a decent area which a decent selection of food and nightlife. Keep in mind its a college town so expect to be around a lot of college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois