Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 15,811 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about living in mount vernon, il ? I want to know what kind of jobs are there, the school system is it good, bad or what. I want to know about living expense is it cheaper then Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 13,012 times
I'm from Herrin, about 30 minutes south of Mt. Vernon. MV sits at the intersection of two major interstates (I57 and I64) ... there is, in my opinion, a good mix of manufacturing / white collor ... quite a bit of racial diversity(especially for southern illinois which is predominantly white). Living costs should be MUCH, MUCH LOWER than most areas of Chicago. The school system is not the greatest, but not the worst (sorry to be vague) ... the job market is probably about average for the nation. Marion, IL which is another 30 minutes down the interstate, is experiencing quite a bit of growth and has a very low cost of living. Higher education is in the area with Southern Illinois University, Rend Lake College, John A. Logan College, etc. You will be about 75 minutes from St. Louis and all that it has to offer (straight down I64) ... major league sports, cultural presentations, world class zoo, art museums, outdoor amphitheaters, etc. Hope that helps. In addition, Southern Illinois is great for people who like the outdoors ... tons of lakes, hiking trails, rock climbing, fishing, hunting, etc.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,838 times
Mt Vernon is host to one of the larger ghettos in southern Illinois, but its not that bad of a town. You can go to the mall late at night without getting cut open, its not that bad. You can get a lot of city data at www.city-data.com

I know people who went to the schools there and arent a big fan. Like the other said, Marion is about 45 miles south of MtV and a nicer town, a low crime rate. However with Mt Vernon you are only about an hour from St Louis, which you are adding 40 minute driving time on to if you move to Marion.

Contact me if you need any more help.
joey.toms@gmail.com

Old 11-06-2006, 12:46 PM

11 posts, read 100,089 times
I'm glad that I no longer live in the city limits. The old town is just getting to rough for us old timers. Drugs, ******, slum housing, street gangs and total control of the city retail sales by WallyWorld. Fast food, motels, truck stops and wise ass kids are the most popular. Better keep looking if you value your peace and quiet. Try North Carolina !

Last edited by linicx; 07-20-2012 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,838 times
horsecreek isn't sugarcoating, haha .

He's right. Between Marion and Mt Vernon, I would choose MtV because its closer to St Louis. But if I had kids and didn't want shot in the face, I would make it Marion.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Juice, If you enjoy living on the edge, MTV is your utopia.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:35 PM

Default "Welcome to my world"

Yeah, we need some new people to move to MtV The thughs are having to rob the same people over and over. Really boring ! We have plenty of room in our new jail but not many are caught and if they are it seems like they get off rather easy. I think the cops just get tired of trying to hold back the tide and then our whimpy judges turn them loose or aren't coming down on them hard enough. They are pretty tough on speeders though ! Watch your speed on W Broadway !

Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 12,847 times
Default mt vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfroggydog View Post
Can anyone tell me about living in mount vernon, il ? I want to know what kind of jobs are there, the school system is it good, bad or what. I want to know about living expense is it cheaper then Chicago?
ive lived here all my life,its not bad!!! ive visited worst places.living is cheaper than chicago.the truth there isnt shi!!!! here,same old thing,and nothing for kids too do.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:00 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,206 times
Default Mount Vernon Is A Nice Town

Dear Friends:

Our family owns vacation property in nearby Nason, Illinois. Although I am not a permanent resident of Mount Vernon, I can compare it to the Chicago land area where I live in Wheaton, Illinois. Mount Vernon is a very nice city and probably about the same size as Naperville, Illinois. Mt. Vernon is a city within the Bible Belt. So people live at a somewhat slower pace but also with a mixed race. Of all of the African-American people that I have associated with, those in Mount Vernon are much more courteaous than those in the Chicago (city) areas. All different races have the same dispositions. You find good and bad in both of them. Mount Vernon, Illinois is an Over The Road (OTR) trucking metropolis. So one should be able to find employment as an OTR truck driver. That's providing 'you' have a CDL driver's license. Interstate 64 and Interstate 57 cross right at Mount Vernon. Mount Vernon real estate prices are cheaper than the Chicago land area. If you live in Nason, Illinois (zip = 62866 and located on the northern shore of Rend Lake), then buildable land can be purchased for under $3K. And Nason is a beautiful but somewhat isolated town. Although a retirement town, there are also young families with children. Nason to Mount Vernon distance is about 11 miles.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 PM

13 posts, read 29,968 times
I lived in mt vernon for a year in 2001. It was a town of about 17000,which 4 to 6 thousand were employed in some way by general tire being in town. i actually got 3 speeding tickets there and ive had 4 my whole life. Someone said it was a ghetto I guess it changed a lot. Its a wanna be cop town about 80 percent white. I never heard while i was there of a murder. And i never locked my door. I lived on the north side of town. 4 dollars a cab would take you anywhere in town. That was cool for a town that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois