U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 27,462,867 times
Reputation: 6341

Advertisements

The State of Illinois sends notice to every county setting out the tax rate. Every county is different. Probably the least expensive real estate tax in in unincorporated county, but I don't know this to be a fact. County taxes are always less expensive than inside a city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 PM
 
Location: broke leftist craphole Illizuela
9,904 posts, read 14,874,056 times
Reputation: 18678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you rent, higher property taxes are passed on through your rent. Landlords don't just eat the cost!
In the case of apartments, the property tax is diluted as there are more residents/per $ of property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,662 posts, read 5,231,073 times
Reputation: 5639
We would rent first anyway, obviously, to make sure we got grounded and into a good job situation. If we like the Chicago doc my daughter is going to see in a couple weeks and he becomes her permanent surgeon, then we'll rent for as long as it takes in order for her to be able to walk someday. We'll own again one way or the other......eventually.........somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,479 posts, read 10,966,087 times
Reputation: 2818
Have you considered NW Indiana?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Isanti County, Minnesota
3,662 posts, read 5,231,073 times
Reputation: 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Have you considered NW Indiana?
Wasn't going to initially because I've heard there's a lot of rough areas in that part of the state, especially once you start getting near Gary (I read that Merrillville, for instance, has really gone downhill), but feel free to enlighten me. I want to have an open mind for my family's sake. I really want to be within an hour and a half of Chicago wherever we land, though, because anything more than that would be too much considering all the trips we'll be making for appointments and surgeries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 04:15 PM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,841,149 times
Reputation: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you rent, higher property taxes are passed on through your rent. Landlords don't just eat the cost!
True, but as long as the rent doesn't change it's all good. I've looked at small houses but I can't justify the cost ,or being tied down since it's just me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 27,462,867 times
Reputation: 6341
Default What is your opinion?

If my destination place was ultimately, say an inner ring suburb such as Oak Park ... and I am looking for the easiest surface street route from IN to the suburb .... would I live in NW IN or closer to I-80? What kind of drive time should I expect in NON rush hour, and dry streets?

Also does 1-39 exit on the Ike? It's been a long time since I've been in the 'burbs.

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Have you considered NW Indiana?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,479 posts, read 10,966,087 times
Reputation: 2818
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Wasn't going to initially because I've heard there's a lot of rough areas in that part of the state, especially once you start getting near Gary (I read that Merrillville, for instance, has really gone downhill), but feel free to enlighten me. I want to have an open mind for my family's sake. I really want to be within an hour and a half of Chicago wherever we land, though, because anything more than that would be too much considering all the trips we'll be making for appointments and surgeries.
I would go to the Indiana forum and ask questions on the NW Indiana forum. There are some very nice areas as well and taxes are lower.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Lake Arlington Heights, IL
5,479 posts, read 10,966,087 times
Reputation: 2818
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If my destination place was ultimately, say an inner ring suburb such as Oak Park ... and I am looking for the easiest surface street route from IN to the suburb .... would I live in NW IN or closer to I-80? What kind of drive time should I expect in NON rush hour, and dry streets?

Also does 1-39 exit on the Ike? It's been a long time since I've been in the 'burbs.
Thanks
Top part, still computing...........
Second question, I-39 connects to I-88 just west of DeKalb. I-88 will connect to the Ike (I-290) at its eastern terminus. From Havana area(IIRC that's your neck of the woods), I would probably take I-74 to I-55 to 355 to 290 or I-55 to 294 to 290 or I-55 to IL Rte 171 (1st ave) and take that north to appropriate E/W street into Oak park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 27,462,867 times
Reputation: 6341
Thanks, but it doesn't answer the question. I am contemplating moving. The question is the same. Time and best routes between Oak Park and NW IN or closer to I-80 in IN? I think it will be annoying either way. Perhaps there is a better route I haven't discovered. I drove once from Niles, MI to Western and Devon by the Skyway, LSD and over to Western. It seemed like it took forever. Maybe 90min into OP from NW IN?

As to to the other I'd probably pick up I-39 and go N. As to Ike I was thinking of the West of Aurora. For all I know it is still a dirt road. Routes in and around Chicago have been altered and added in the last 50 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Top part, still computing...........
Second question, I-39 connects to I-88 just west of DeKalb. I-88 will connect to the Ike (I-290) at its eastern terminus. or I-55 to IL Rte 171 (1st ave) and take that north to appropriate E/W street into Oak park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top