Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The area around Shriners is safe. Its technically in Chicago but not bad, its not in the bad part of Austin. ITs more Elmwood Parkish. Lake Geneva is lovely but don't know if there are many good jobs there. Resort towns usually suck for job prospects, lots of lower paying service jobs. If you want to live near but not in Chicago, look into Geneva IL, Batavia, Warrenville, Winfield, they are nice places to live. True high property taxes but millions are paying it myself included. We pay to live in beautiful communities with parks, good schools, wonderful libraries and good city services. I live in Wheaton myself and do pay high taxes but just suck it up.
We went to both spots to start the week. Lake Geneva reminds me very much of where we live now in N. Mich. Pretty cool to have a spot like that so close to both Chicago and Milwaukee. My interview was a home run, but the benefits package may not be condusive to what we need with 3 special needs kids. Im an x-ray tech by the way, so I can work anywhere there are medical facilities.

After the interview, we took hwy 12 back into Illinois. I wanted to see what some of those towns were like, since Im only working 3 days a week and we could live a bit away from LG if we chose to. Didn't seem to be much until we got to Lake Zurich, but we never went through Crystal Lake or McHenry which were further to the west.

I liked the neighborhood Shriners was in. Older, but very charming. Never felt unsafe at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM

Update: I got the job in Lake Geneva, and we are likely going to settle in the Crystal Lake, Mchenry, Woodstock area of Illinois. Going (rental) house hunting next week!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 PM

67 posts, read 107,849 times
Congrats on the job. I grew up in Woodstock and still have family there. If you have any questions I would be glad to help out if I can. Lived there for 40 years and still go back monthly.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Congrats. Woodstock would be a 20 mile drive. I have heard good things about Antioch as well which is also a 20 mile drive. However, I'd prefer to be close to work especially on a day like tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how well the roads up that way are plowed.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 PM

And the winner is........McHenry! Love the area, only 40 minutes from work on the weekends. We move in 3 days. Rented us a nice townhome, so won't have to worry about those nasty property taxes for at least a year.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Congratulations again. McHenry is a nice area I go up there bike riding a fair ammount in the summer. The only downside is the metra service there in infrequent but the Crystal Lake station is only about 5 miles south.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,095 times
How about Hometown in Aurora, IL. Property taxes average $2,000 to $3,000 a year. School district is East Aurora, so would not send my kids there, but there are several very nice private schools in the area. St. Paul Lutheran on the West Side of Aurora is building a school. Aurora Christian has a school and I believe Rosary.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klvoo View Post
How about Hometown in Aurora, IL. Property taxes average $2,000 to $3,000 a year. School district is East Aurora, so would not send my kids there, but there are several very nice private schools in the area. St. Paul Lutheran on the West Side of Aurora is building a school. Aurora Christian has a school and I believe Rosary.
READ THE THREAD!!! Someone working in Lake Geneva isn't going to want to live in Aurora

Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,917 times
Like you have stated, be careful of your property taxes when you buy in the area. I live in Woodstock, bought house 7 years ago for $530k now worth probably $375k (maybe) and my taxes are $13,000 a year!! Yes, fought the amount a couple of years ago and got them reduced to this amount. They go up every year. Don't even have kids in school anymore and when I did, we paid for private. BTW, great private high school, Marian Central Catholic.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Where do they have taxes like that? I live in Chicago and pay around $2,400 on my place that's worth around $200,000. I have a few friends who pay around $8,000 a year, but their place is also worth over $500,000.
I live in (way) southern Illinois. My house is appraised at $138,000 -- and my property taxes are $5,000 a year. Not something I planned in my budget when I took early retirement and moved back to the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois