Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:46 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
It is Chicago after all. A lot of people who move here tell me how it's pricey, and I don't understand them very well since for all of my adult life I've lived here, I can't compare.

I think it's well-known we have the 2nd highest property taxes in the nation, after New Jersey. I'm not sure why this is exactly - is it because they were jacked up when the city started going broke?

I wonder if the property taxes were always this expensive, relative to the nation.
It happens because we've had 10 years of democrat control. Also property taxes can be pretty much increased whenever any of the governing bodies feel like it and it is much simpler and out of the public eye than the income tax which has many of the democrats facing reelection hesitant. What we need is a property tax cap at 1.5% or so of the property's fair market value and not what the county assessor says it is what it really is. The government not only has the option of raising the rates, they can manipluate the complicated formula and assessment values. In the end the property owners are like a bottomless piggy bank and the local governments have no pressure to be thrifty and efficient.

The entire state needs to have the government rebuilt from the bottom up or the downward spiral will continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,712,842 times
Personally, I go to work, get paid twice a month and pay Cook County twice year. My taxes are about 1.3% of my property value.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:22 AM

My mother in Niles [Cook County] pays 2.3% of what her home is really worth yearly in taxes. Based on their assessment it would be about 2 even.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,292,443 times
IL property taxes are highest in Chicago and lowest in southern Illinois. It stays local to support schools, hospitals, and county and city services such as fire, police, pension, health care, courthouse, parks and libraries. Cook County is the largest county in the midwest and the second largest in America. It's a 1000+/- sq mi. in size. IL has 76,000 miles of county roads and bridges we all support that need repair and snow removal.

We all pay for it one way or another. There are no free rides. I lived in the other places with low taxes and no services. It is why I live in Illinois and not there.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:06 PM

When it comes to govt I am a less is more person. The government here seems more bent on making our lives miserable with nanny state crap and turning this into a police state with revenue trap cameras everywhere. Besides there are a lot of places out there that provide much better essential services for a whole lot less in taxes.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,416,476 times
It's easy for someone that doesn't necessarily use a service provided by the government to label it as "non-essential."

Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
Default Illinois property taxes are stupid

Our house in Aurora is worth ~$300k. Property taxes are $7,600 a year. That is a monthly Benz payment in just property tax.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM

$7600 annually is $633.34 per month. It is a chunk of change to be sure.

Money is a funny commodity. No one wants someone else to dictate how we are ablated to spend it, but we accept the bank doing so to live the American Dream.

States should not have corporations, preachers, politicians, hedge fund managers, or political parties seeding our State House, writing our laws, telling us how to vote, or what to demand from our fearless elected leaders. If you live rural you still lose. The grocery store manager is a bigger thief than the mayor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyJ View Post
Our house in Aurora is worth ~$300k. Property taxes are $7,600 a year. That is a monthly Benz payment in just property tax.

Last edited by linicx; 07-10-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM

2,666 posts, read 3,865,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
$7600 annually is $633.34 per month. It is a chunk of change to be sure.

Money is a funny commodity. No one wants someone else to dictate how we are ablated to spend it, but we accept the bank doing so to live the American Dream.

States should not have corporations, preachers, politicians, hedge fund managers, or political parties seeding our State House, writing our laws, telling us how to vote, or what to demand from our fearless elected leaders. If you live rural you still lose. The grocery store manager is a bigger thief than the mayor.

NO, NO he/she is NOT.

Competition would allow for another grocery store to open.
No one can open another gov't entity to compete with the current one.
You have been brainwashed by someone.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:43 AM

NO, NO? Ho, ho, ho, Santa. If you live in Portland, you do not live in tiny town rural Illinois. I do and I pay $3.00 for a can of generic tomatoes, 9% locate retail tax, $53.00 for a carton of cigarettes, and $3.89 for a gallon of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois