Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I loved shopping at Walgreen when I lived in Ohio, and since moving to Illinois and discovering that the nearest one to where I now live is a minimum of 35-40 minutes away, I've been weaned now for a few years. It's very telling as a consumer (to me anyway) to realize that no matter what - the $ will always be more important to the big dogs. I realize they're in it to make money but as long as there is an alternative to go to - that's where I'll be heading. I'm as loyal to them as they are/were to me!!
According to one of your previous posts, you live in Byron Township. From the furthest corner of Byron Township down by Leaf River to the Walgreen's on 11th Street in Rockford is about a 20-minute drive. Plus you said your husband works in Rockford which has at least half a dozen Walgreen's locations where he can stop by before coming home.

If that's not good enough for you, well, it's not Walgreen's fault that you chose to live in the middle of Bumblenuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
According to one of your previous posts, you live in Byron Township. From the furthest corner of Byron Township down by Leaf River to the Walgreen's on 11th Street in Rockford is about a 20-minute drive. Plus you said your husband works in Rockford which has at least half a dozen Walgreen's locations where he can stop by before coming home.

If that's not good enough for you, well, it's not Walgreen's fault that you chose to live in the middle of Bumblenuts.

Why the rudeness? True - I do live in the township - and there is a brand new pharmacy in my local town that I do my business with. It may be a 20 minute drive for you - but I don't drive like a maniac and since there is a crapload of construction going on in Rockford at this time -I choose not to go to Rockford unless I absolutely have to. Since I can obviously obtain the items that I need at other stores - I do not have to shop at Walgreen's and I don't. My husband does work in Rockford - so what? Walgreen's is certainly not a selling point for a person to decide what area to move to - and FYI- last time I checked nobody out here in Bumblenuts had a home invasion, a drive-by, got shot while waiting a a traffic light, etc. It's in the country, farm land, and we deliberately moved here to stay away from places like Rockford. Glad to hear you're keeping tabs on me....geez.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:06 AM

If by "keeping tabs on you" you mean "we happened to participate in common thread a few days ago where you shared details about where you live," then yes, I'm "keeping tabs on you."

You don't have to drive like a maniac to get from Byron Township to SE Rockford in 20 minutes. It's an 8- to 15-mile, mostly highway drive. And yes, you made a choice to live in Bumblenuts because nothing bad ever happens there ever. But it's not Walgreen's obligation to accommodate either your paranoia about driving to Big Bad Rockford or your decision to live in a place where amenities are scarce, and they were not "disloyal" to you in choosing not to.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 AM

490 posts, read 649,967 times
It probably has less to do with Illinois (rare to say that with the dirtbags in Springfield) and more to do with national taxes. At 35% tax rate, the USA has the highest corporate taxes in the world. If the company does business overseas, they get taxed again to repatriate the money. Some companies lobby and get a niche cut out for them in the tax code, while other just move overseas.

In Walgreens case, they plan on acquiring Boots (I think that's the name) which is a company based out in the UK. If so, they are considering moving as to avoid US federal taxes, and probably Illinois taxes assuming we still have Quinn in office next year.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
It probably has less to do with Illinois (rare to say that with the dirtbags in Springfield) and more to do with national taxes. At 35% tax rate, the USA has the highest corporate taxes in the world. If the company does business overseas, they get taxed again to repatriate the money. Some companies lobby and get a niche cut out for them in the tax code, while other just move overseas.

In Walgreens case, they plan on acquiring Boots (I think that's the name) which is a company based out in the UK. If so, they are considering moving as to avoid US federal taxes, and probably Illinois taxes assuming we still have Quinn in office next year.
Yep, I had posted something to the same effect but it seems I inadvertently deleted my post.

Not only does the USA have a mercilessly byzantine tax code and the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world (and much of the non-developed world too for that matter), but we are the only developed nation that taxes corporate profits earned and already taxed in foreign jurisdictions should a U.S.-based company do something as foolish as repatriate those profits or neglect to conduct overseas business through a foreign shell subsidiary. Even though the foreign tax credit would take some of the bite out of that second tax bill, the IRS will insist that you exhaust every available remedy to minimize your foreign tax liability and send you another bill for the difference if they think you haven't.

And then we scratch our heads and wonder why so many "American" jobs have moved overseas. Well duh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois