Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 PM

19 posts, read 17,739 times

Advertisements

My husband, daughter (first grader) and I are relocating to Springfield. We are looking for great schools, shopping, safe and friendly neighborhood and all of that for a budget of no more than $225,000. We usually like big cities but have heard nice things about Springfield. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 09:17 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaBelle View Post
My husband, daughter (first grader) and I are relocating to Springfield. We are looking for great schools, shopping, safe and friendly neighborhood and all of that for a budget of no more than $225,000. We usually like big cities but have heard nice things about Springfield. Thanks!
Check into Chatham or the west side of Springfield.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Once you leave Chicago and move south of I-80 there are only two big cities of over 100000 and that is Springfield, the Capital City of Illinois, and Peoria, a STEM and research city. There are two sister cities that share a common border and have a combined population of over 100000. Bloomington-Normal is home of Illinois State University and State Farm Insurance. Urbana-Champaign is the home of the flagship University of Illinois. Both of these universities sponsor an independent college prep High School. B-N is midway between Champaign and Peoria, but not near Springfield.

If the Distance Calculators are correct, the distance from Champaign (or Peoria) to Springfield is 85-90 miles. Using the same calculator is is 35-40 miles from either Urbana Champaign or Peoria to Bloomington-Normal. The advantage is Champaign as Amtrak is enhancing or opening a route along the I-55 corridor to run between between Normal and Champaign. Normal is the second busiest Amtrak station in Illinois.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:13 PM

384 posts, read 383,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaBelle View Post
I live in Laketown right next to the elementry school. My kids love it and they are one of the best elementry schools in Springfield. We are happy in this neighborhood. Houses usually cost less than 100,000 here.
But the newer áreas are in the west side. That is where the mall is and many restaurants. Chatham, rochester, and sherman are nice but not real close to shopping.
I recommend using google maps toó so your can check out the área.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:11 PM

19 posts, read 17,739 times
Thanks! We've been looking at Chatham. We don't mind a little commute but would want to be by the shopping/dinning.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
The main north-south road in Chatham is a state highway that will take you directly to the White Oaks Mall and the vast majority of Springfield's big box retail in 10 minutes.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 PM

Location: somewhere in Illinois, like maybe Havana and/or Carbondale
7 posts, read 17,140 times
Pleasant Plains is worth checking out, west of town. My sister in law had relation that lived on the wrest side of Springfield, Western Knolls, off Bradfordton road, whose kids went to Pleasant Plains. If you choose to not live in a smaller town out side Springfield, stay west of Vererans Parkway.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 PM

51 posts, read 88,216 times
From what I hear and have seen Chatham is really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois