Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 09:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,861 times

Advertisements

I will be driving through Illinois to points west and returning. I've never really spent a lot of time in the Midwest and, believe it or not, I actually like the Midwest and would like to explore a little as I'm driving through and returning.

I am looking for suggestions for things to see in the following cities that might be cool and worthy of a couple hour diversion:

-Champaign
-Bloomington/Normal
-Peoria
-Rockford
-Moline/Davenport

I'm looking for .... anything cool to look at; This includes:

-Downtowns
-Cool upscale/historic areas (old and new)
-Artsy districts
-Even modern commercial districts if they're pleasing to the eye
-Restaurants for a quick bite to eat

I just want to get a quick feel for these cities (or any others along the interstate that might be worthy of stopping in) as I'm driving through there on my way to Iowa.

I'm not looking for anything necessarily touristy. Just looking for any kind of suggestions to help me explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Well for one thing, distance is against you in downstate Illinois. For example Champaign to Peoria is 90 miles, but Peoria is only about 35 miles from Bloomington-Normal.

You are also dealing with four differnt routes: I-80, I-55, I-74 and I-72 - presuming you are moving across IL on 1-80 to Iowa, and you are not meandering through Indiana. If there is an advantage it is that Illnois has 38000 state and federal roads. It means you can do more in less time. Peoria has everything on your list from 19 historic distriacts, waterfront plaze near museums, theatre, arists' community, planetarium, and fine dining at Two 25. Casual dining at Joe's Crab Shack is on the water, plus a micro brewery and sports center is nearby. Peoria County, from IL 9 on the SW to Lacon in the NE, follows the course of the river for close to 50 miles.

You should be aware that Peoria was not built in a grid. It is more like Chicago as it sprawl aloneg the banks of the Illinois River. So, is possible to visit the two zoological parks in the same day but I think it the distance is about 20 miles between them. One features wild animals from around the world. The other features the wild animals of Illnois. Peoria also has three parks of over 300 acres each.

I am going to offer a couple of different routes.
1- Ohio to Iowa via I-80. Princeton, Ottowa, Rockford, and Moline (John Deer Museum). Moline and Rock Island are the Illnois half of the Quad Cities (Bettendorf and Davenport).
2- If you want to enjoy this then plan on two days.
......1-80 to Princeton. Turn South on IL 26 to IL 29. Part of this ties into the route Ronald Regan took to his grandmothers house when he was a student at Eureka College. STay on IL 29. It is a scenic route for many miles. Chillicothe is he frist town of size, It is followed in a few miles by 500 acre Detweiller Park. When you come into Peoria the route splits as Jefferson is the SW street. When you reach the court house and MAIN street.you are less than 3 blocks from the river and where the River Front Plaza begtins.

IL 29 will take you to Pekin. As far as I am concerned Pekin is best known for two things: Maury's Candies and Mineral Springs Park. Maury's is on Court Street about 4 blocks from from 1L 29. The park is on the corner of 14th and Court. Entrance on Parkway Street. IL 29 comes to a stop at US 136. Entrance to one of the IL State Parks is a couple of miles through the access point to Forest City. Nevertheless turn left because IL 29 splits here. To coninue on IL 29 follow the signs. This will take you into Springfield and Lincoln's library, etc. Or when you turn left follow US 136 to I-55 and slightly south of B-N. and far north of Champaign. You do not want to miss Funk's Grove. Owners tap the trees and make Maple Sirup fresh every spring. This is a fraction of what is available.

Venues are closed now. You and your SO cannot take a horse drawn carriage ride, or a leisurely cruise on the river to the Gulf of Mexico. Most of the animals hybenate for the winter. You may see the wolf or coyote but you won't see the bears until Spring. The Wheel's O' Time Museum isn't open either, but the Caterpillar Museum is. However, East Peoria is host to one of the largest night time Christmas Parades and Displays in America. It is open from the day after Thanksgiving to the first weekend in January. If you are a kid at heart, and you like bigger than life exhibits, you don't be disappointed. Lincoln is nice little town that has a cool vibe and very good food. It is between Bloomington and Springfield on 1-55. You will probablyh want to follow I-74 tp Champaign.

If you are ready leave Illinois follow I-74 NW to the Iowa border. I-474 separates from I-74 at Morton. It bypasses Peoria on the far west side and rejoins I-74 MW of Peoria a few short miles.

Others can tell you more about the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois