Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 16,852 times

Advertisements

What streets in Danville are the safest to live on? & Which names do you really want to stay away from?

I know many will say Danville is not a good place to live, but I'd like to know where the safest areas are.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsitter1 View Post
What streets in Danville are the safest to live on? & Which names do you really want to stay away from?

I know many will say Danville is not a good place to live, but I'd like to know where the safest areas are.

Thank you
Some place outside of Danville.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poonamt93 View Post
Roselle. Nice quiet town that is a reasonable distance from Chicago. It is maybe 45-60 minutes away from Chicago.
But what does that have to do with Danville?

Do you even know where Danville is?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 14,704 times
I was disappointed to find the town rather shabby. After 30 years of being gone. Many of the streets, houses, and buildings are exactly the same. And what do the people do for jobs? former Danville resident for my growing up life
Mod Cut

Last edited by linicx; 10-19-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
Danville? That's where 394 eventually heads if you keep on driving, right? Why move to the middle of nowhere if safety is STILL a pressing issue?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 12,187 times
I live on north Oak Street and have for over 20 years and raised 5 children here. I feel safe in this whole area. Areas to avoid when alone or after dark are mostly on the east side as well as west of downtown. Considering there is crime and drugs all over, it's unsafe to be out alone almost anywhere, even the small towns all around. As for run down shabby houses - it really does depend on where you are....I feel that Danville is no different than most other towns...drive all around champaign or indianapolis, ....bloomington, etc.... they all have run down areas and unsafe neighborhoods!!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
I used to travel to Danville on business back in the early 80's. As far as I can tell it's never improved. It was never the Garden Spot of America. Asking to find a safe place in Danville it seems is a bit like asking how much Heroin you can shoot up and still remain safe.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Default Get Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I used to travel to Danville on business back in the early 80's. As far as I can tell it's never improved. It was never the Garden Spot of America. Asking to find a safe place in Danville it seems is a bit like asking how much Heroin you can shoot up and still remain safe.
Your post makes it sound like Ford Heights or East St. Louis.
There are definitely worse towns and I can find areas that are safe. And I travel there on business currently. It's like Decatur, some not so nice areas and some quite nice areas. And perhaps stating an opinion gained from travel 20 years ago is not very credible; your heroin statement is just plain inane!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 AM

24 posts, read 77,143 times
I'm not going to paint a rosy picture of Danville. It certainly has its issues, but let's be fair here. The city still has fine neighborhoods, primarily located on the north end. The old "North of Voorhees" reference still applies. Some may not be as polished as they once were, but I wouldn't compare the neighborhoods to the likes of East St. Louis.

Last edited by Crewer; 11-13-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Danville is the largest city in Vermillion County and it is is the county seat. Vermillion county shares a border with Indiana. County seats in Illinois traditionally have the best services: Internet, cable, phone, courthouse, county/city jail, library, legal and medical services, grocers, other business and most likely a small hospital. Vermillion Lake is a 1000 acre lake plus there are three other recreational areas.

Is it paradise? No. The only Garden of Eden I ever found was a restaurant in Tulsa.

Danville is far from being the worst city in the state. In fact it is where one of the VA clinics is located plus it is the call center for Illinois VA. When it comes to crime and shabby it is isn't any worse than other city of its size in Central Illinois. And If it were as large as Chicago, it would have the same problems as Chicago has today. Consider it a blessing and stay out of the bad side of town.

Be careful what you ask for when you move nearby if you work in Danville. County roads and IL weather are not your friends. When the power fails due to weather the surrounding towns are the first to lose power and the last to get the power back. And because it is the county seat with every county record for a hudred years power will be restored to Danville first. Federal roads (I-75 and US 136) are cleared first. Then State Routes are cleared. County roads are cleared last and only then the most used are cleared. Your one-ton 4x4 with snowplow will get hired in the winter if you live in the county. Been there done that which is why I live in a county seat on a federal highway.

You can hop on I-74 west to I-55 west and go to Sprinfield or Bloomington, You can stay on I-74 and go to Peoria, It is the largest area in Illinois outside of Chicago and St. Louis. If you want to shop 'til you drop, find a dozen grocers, and the oldest and largest park district in Illinois, you will find it in Peoria along with boutique shopping, too. Danville is also not too far from Champaign. it shares a boundary with Urbana, another County seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois