Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite/most intruiging bit of Illinois history?

Im gonna go with the Indian Creek massacre and the Chicago gangster days. That history is a bit grim, but I find it quite fascinating.

What about you guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,242,543 times
You know..interestingly enough I was reading this book last night...It's called "Lost Chicago" and it chronicles the old architecture of the city. It mainly focuses on structures built before the Chicago Fire and more specifically, the structures built immediately thereafter, most of which were demolished by the mid to late 1960's. You really get a sense of the grandeur of the city...and it drives home the fact that architecture was really born in Chicago. Not only that, but there were some pretty magnificent and oppulent buildings which served a whole class of Chicago "royalty." Seeing the original Carson, PierreI, Scott building was pretty cool. think the way people reacted to the fire and the rebuilding of the city thereafter is simply amazing. I had no idea, for instance, that once much of the debris stopped smoking and smoldering, it was dumped on the shores of Lake Mich in order to extend the shoreline. Much of fire debris is under the greenery that is now Grant Park. At first Chicagoans simply couldn't grasp the magnatude of the fire. The day after, people were heading "downtown" for work, only to realize that much of it was gone. Several million dollars of the city's money was storehoused in a large metal safe that was thought to be fireproof, but with temperatures reaching well over 3000 degrees, well, the money burned as well. There are pictures of the city rebuilding efforts and there is such a noticeable difference and growth only 6 weeks after the fire. In one of the pics, you see burnt buildings, charred remains, and rubble on the Mag Mile, but there's the Water Tower, still standing. I mean, we see this stuff now in the framework of our current architecture but to see it standing amid all the ruins back then, that's really something.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Probably the al capone/gangster history. Because husband's relatives lived in Cicero at the time this was all going on. He has some interesting family stories for sure. And we also lived in Cicero for many years. That town has some "stories".

Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 AM

634 posts, read 2,347,823 times
Being from Springfield originally, I enjoy most things about Abe Lincoln.

Also, the stories of the pre-Manhattan Project work at Old Stagg Field at the Univ. of Chicago are pretty fascinating (search under Chicago Pile-1).

On the seedier side of things, probably the exploits of John Wayne Gacy (who also resided in Spfld. in the 1960's).

Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times
Posting again: But second would be "the chicago fire". Because my west side irish relatives were in it. I have researched it extensively.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
You know..interestingly enough I was reading this book last night...It's called "Lost Chicago" and it chronicles the old architecture of the city. It mainly focuses on structures built before the Chicago Fire and more specifically, the structures built immediately thereafter, most of which were demolished by the mid to late 1960's. You really get a sense of the grandeur of the city...and it drives home the fact that architecture was really born in Chicago. Not only that, but there were some pretty magnificent and oppulent buildings which served a whole class of Chicago "royalty." Seeing the original Carson, PierreI, Scott building was pretty cool. think the way people reacted to the fire and the rebuilding of the city thereafter is simply amazing. I had no idea, for instance, that once much of the debris stopped smoking and smoldering, it was dumped on the shores of Lake Mich in order to extend the shoreline. Much of fire debris is under the greenery that is now Grant Park. At first Chicagoans simply couldn't grasp the magnatude of the fire. The day after, people were heading "downtown" for work, only to realize that much of it was gone. Several million dollars of the city's money was storehoused in a large metal safe that was thought to be fireproof, but with temperatures reaching well over 3000 degrees, well, the money burned as well. There are pictures of the city rebuilding efforts and there is such a noticeable difference and growth only 6 weeks after the fire. In one of the pics, you see burnt buildings, charred remains, and rubble on the Mag Mile, but there's the Water Tower, still standing. I mean, we see this stuff now in the framework of our current architecture but to see it standing amid all the ruins back then, that's really something.
Very cool indeed.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM

634 posts, read 2,347,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
There is a great local PBS (WTTW) series that talks about this as well, done by Geoffrey Baer (WTTW - Geoffrey Baer). While I haven't seen all of them, the river boat tour and the El train tours were really neat.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Default Fascinating Tidbits:

Either the Chicago Fire (It burned from Taylor street to Fullerton; i.e. 34 blocks! Oxygen was depleted from the air, like at Dresden.) or

The Joseph Smith assassination in Nauvoo. Support Mormon reparations!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:20 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
the manhattan project.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 AM

5 posts, read 32,131 times
Peoria own Richard Pryor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois