Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 AM

197 posts, read 235,656 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the western suburbs my entire life and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been "to the lake". Anything you would want to do on Lake Michigan you can do cheaper, less crowded, easier access, and (IMO) more fun on any number of other waterways like Lake Geneva, Chain of Lakes, or the Illinois River.

The best way to enjoy Lake Michigan is by way of Michigan (places like Traverse City) or Wisconsin. Chicago area Lake access is overhyped and not worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
I've lived in the western suburbs my entire life and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been "to the lake". Anything you would want to do on Lake Michigan you can do cheaper, less crowded, easier access, and (IMO) more fun on any number of other waterways like Lake Geneva, Chain of Lakes, or the Illinois River.

The best way to enjoy Lake Michigan is by way of Michigan (places like Traverse City) or Wisconsin. Chicago area Lake access is overhyped and not worth the hassle.
Very short sighted.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:10 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
Quote:
I've lived in the western suburbs my entire life and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been "to the lake"

Interesting comment, wrong of course, based on the posters limited experience.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM

563 posts, read 677,324 times
I think it would be nice for folks who rarely get to see the city and the lake, to book a Chicago cruise ship tour that includes meals. You can rent a boat and cruise along the dunes up to Michigan. As a side note, I just read that there are now helicopter rides you can take over the city and the lake.

Last edited by glenninindy; 07-11-2019 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 09:50 AM

629 posts, read 543,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Yeah, I'm from the west burbs.... I've only been to Chicago beaches once, and I've gone a handful of times to the beach on the northshore as we have family in Lake Forest. Outside of that though, 95% of the times I've been to lake Michigan... has been in the coastal towns of southwest Michigan, not the Chicago area. A lot less hectic and busy over there, so I prefer the Michigan and even Indiana beaches more.
I used to live about a mile and a half from Oak St. beach... I would never ever go... the only time I'd head to the beach was on July 4th and I'd trek it up to Loyola beach since it wasn't so packed full of idiots, just lots of idiots shooting off their own fireworks with no regard for anyone else... definitely fun though

Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
I used to live about a mile and a half from Oak St. beach... I would never ever go... the only time I'd head to the beach was on July 4th and I'd trek it up to Loyola beach since it wasn't so packed full of idiots, just lots of idiots shooting off their own fireworks with no regard for anyone else... definitely fun though
Yeah, it's pretty much entirely a party atmosphere on Chicago beaches... which is cool, but if you're just trying to relax.... not so much fun. MI's beaches or the Dunes, and to a lesser extent the northshore are much more peaceful.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM

1,242 posts, read 821,555 times
If I lived in Chicagoland, I'd be at Illinois Beach or the Indiana Dunes every weekend. Both offer wonderful shoreline (way better than crowded city beaches unless your objective is to see and be seen).
Quote:

I kind of get this for someone from the Midwest interested in on-the-water recreation. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and I miss wide sandy/rocky beaches to walk, waves crashing, cool sea breeze, etc. None of which are to be found by inland lakes and rivers.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:15 AM

197 posts, read 235,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Interesting comment, wrong of course, based on the posters limited experience.
No problem, you guys can enjoy your violent, over-crowded, expensive beaches in Chicago. I'll be less than 2 hours away in St. Joseph, MI if you need anything!

Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:
No problem, you guys can enjoy your violent, over-crowded, expensive beaches in Chicago. I'll be less than 2 hours away in St. Joseph, MI if you need anything!
Chicago beaches are free...

Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotrain12 View Post
I have lived in the suburb near Chicago area close to about 13 years. No this is not bad luck 13. If I break a mirror will it be 7 years bad luck also.

Well actually me and my girlfriend don't drive.
Do you bicycle? That is a really good way to see the lake front though the northern half of the Lake front trail gets crazy with mixed traffic a lot of the time. It is basically a freshwater sea or ocean which in Chicago much of the lake front is parks, beaches, and harbors with the other portion nondescript rocky shore along the lake. I'd ride to the metra station closest to you and take your bikes with you (allowed except for rush hour) and do the lake front trail during some not weekend off hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois