Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 PM

99 posts, read 70,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I don't base my "reality" on silly sites like Zillow; which, is more often inaccurate and off the mark, in both trends AND pricing..
When ACTUAL PEOPLE tell me something, I am much more likely to believe it, then something seen on the internet..
The actual trends in the aforementioned areas are much different than a random example or 2 you have posted here..

Believe what you want, let us know when YOU try to actually sell your house, what the experience is like..
Just to add since this is something I have personal experience with extremely recently, but I originally found the house I will close on soon In Wisconsin on Zillow and Hot Pads. What it ended up appraising for and what the eventual accepted offer ended up being was nowhere close to what it was listed as on either site.

You can take from that what you will, but still extremely helpful sites that likely saved me a lot of time before I did end up dealing with a real estate agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Random? Go to Moment Design Hinsdale on the internet and see drawings of many of the homes going up now in your former town of Hinsdale, Elmhurst, Barrington. All big money with smart people building them, having plunked down at least a million on each teardown lot. The prices on the North Shore this year took off; Glencoe is up 9%. These are educated people who are investing now in Chicago which has been a corporate relocation center for the last few years. New York, California, Illinois are not going to the toilet by losing those who can't afford to live there.

Those moving out are primarily lower income, who like you, would rather live in an outpost in Arizona than in an urban area and pay taxes and recieve the benefit of those taxes in the form of services, schools, sidewalks etc.

As for real examples, our friends in Hinsdale sold their house with a small lot for 1.2 M in 5 days; another sold it before it even hit the market. the average market time now in Hinsdale is 31 days on sold homes.

Since you are in AZ and not in IL, you have no idea what is going on firsthand.
Sorry, but I take issue with this characterization entirely. I make damn good money, and I consider myself pretty adept at what I do. By any reasonable unit of measure, Illinois is one of the most corrupt and poorly financially managed locations on Earth outside of the third world.

Human beings generally don’t appreciate being taken advantage of, and I 100% feel that way by the powers that be In this state. Sticking around to pay more taxes would not be getting me one iota of additional services. I would basically be paying to subsidize large scale incompetence from the last several decades and for some state employee to retire in Florida with a north of 6 figure annual pension.

To sanctimoniously paint those of us who are angry and looking for a way out as beneath your cosmopolitan sensibilities says a great deal more about you than it does us.

Last edited by TheEnigmaMachine; 08-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-06-2019, 05:55 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnigmaMachine View Post
Sorry, but I take issue with this characterization entirely. I make damn good money, and I consider myself pretty adept at what I do. By any reasonable unit of measure, Illinois is one of the most corrupt and poorly financially managed locations on Earth outside of the third world.

Human beings generally don’t appreciate being taken advantage of, and I 100% feel that way by the powers that be In this state. Sticking around to pay more taxes would not be getting me one iota of additional services. I would basically be paying to subsidize large scale incompetence from the last several decades and for some state employee to retire in Florida with a north of 6 figure annual pension.

To sanctimoniously paint those of us who are angry and looking for a way out as beneath your cosmopolitan sensibilities says a great deal more about you than it does us.
I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. You make your choices, and I will make mine. I paint those who live out of state and slam Illinois the way I do because their motives are to make themselves feel better about their move. I would never give up my 25 minute train commute to my job in the Loop and if I have to pay alittle more to make much more in a job that doesn't exist in the areas outside of Chicago, I will. I pay to be close to a world class city; every time I land at Union Station and get off that train with the crowds, clean city, new construction and beauty I am reminded of that. Mayor Lightfoot is the first, hopefully of other politicians in this State to bring reform. I also admire the Senators that represent us that have a conscious. On the other hand, Wisconsin politics with former Gov. Walker and the legislature there to me are revolting. To each his own.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. You make your choices, and I will make mine. I paint those who live out of state and slam Illinois the way I do because their motives are to make themselves feel better about their move. I would never give up my 25 minute train commute to my job in the Loop and if I have to pay alittle more to make much more in a job that doesn't exist in the areas outside of Chicago, I will. I pay to be close to a world class city; every time I land at Union Station and get off that train with the crowds, clean city, new construction and beauty I am reminded of that. Mayor Lightfoot is the first, hopefully of other politicians in this State to bring reform. I also admire the Senators that represent us that have a conscious. On the other hand, Wisconsin politics with former Gov. Walker and the legislature there to me are revolting. To each his own.
Everyone has their own breaking point as to what they will tolerate I suppose, and mine is relatively short. I really do not give AF about the politics of Wisconsin (or anywhere I have lived for that matter). I am not some crusader for a cause. I am a pragmatist. Provided I am left alone for the most part and their policy decisions do not interference with my life significantly, I don't really care.The less I know politicians even exist the better.

If illinois was just another typical midwestern state with reasonable taxes and non-sociopathic governance, It would not have come to this. I hate moving. Doesn't everyone? But to stay when I have a golden opportunity to leave would be far too bitter of a pill for me to swallow. I would then be passively complicit and it would eat at me on a daily basis.

I hope you get the change you are seeking, but I have serious doubts to put it mildly.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:11 AM

207 posts, read 213,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
You're not seeing this "mass exodus" because you haven't seen the population statistics!! Illinois, Chicagoland, and Chicago proper are all going down in population. It's the ONLY major metro area in the entire country to actually lose population, year after year. A title no-one wants to claim.

The housing market stats support this: Home appreciation in metro Chicagoland is basically flat.
I'm saying that I'm not seeing an exodus where I live...

Old 08-06-2019, 10:40 AM

629 posts, read 543,099 times
everyone I talk to that lives in the burbs or the city wants out... but they are mostly older folks (60+), who knows if they'll actually have the guts to do it or not.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
everyone I talk to that lives in the burbs or the city wants out... but they are mostly older folks (60+), who knows if they'll actually have the guts to do it or not.

Amount of children/Grandchildren seems to be the #1 reason for them staying put.
For me it's the opposite, old parents in need of taking care of.
I'm gone when they pass, but relocation to another state won't help much; I've done this already.
I'm(and most likely you)better off in the developing Caribbean country I went to school in.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:31 PM

213 posts, read 165,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my friend in Lake of the hills has been trying to sell his house for over a year; he's listed it 30k UNDER what he should, and not even 1 real offer in a year..

my best friend, who is a realtor in Hinsdale area, says there are over 2 years worth of unsold inventory in the 500-600k range which is lower end in that area, he's given up on residential, after 15 years, and only doing commercial..

I know of many more instances just like this, including my brother and sister in law, who can't sell their 250k house in Oak forest, completely remodeled and updated..
Unless you live in the City itself, selling any house is becoming a nightmare in the Chicagoland market...
buy when nobody is buying and sell when everyone is buying ... kinda ... buy low and sell high

is just a trend, learn to ride the wave

just wait for the next recession and midwest will be invaded by coast residents where properties are $500 ~ $600k

Old 08-06-2019, 01:40 PM

629 posts, read 543,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
buy when nobody is buying and sell when everyone is buying ... kinda ... buy low and sell high

is just a trend, learn to ride the wave

just wait for the next recession and midwest will be invaded by coast residents where properties are $500 ~ $600k
lmao what

Old 08-07-2019, 06:06 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,314 times
My husband retires in a year. Initially we looked at other states to live in but decided to stay in Illinois at least for several more years. Want to remain close enough to friends and things we enjoy here. We decided to just move out farther, near the WI border. If we do move out of state it won't be for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois