Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:38 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

Do the Quad Cities count as poorly as the Big Ten Conference? Both liked their name so much, both were so totallt branded by it, they could not, would not change their names to fit their number.

Once there were only four Quad Cities and ever so close to the west, a bunch of Hawkeyes played in the ten team Big Ten.

When the Big Tn added an eleventh team, it didn’t change its name and every one of them was the Big Ten......there was no Big Ten + Penn State.

But the Quad Cities...from all I could see...went a different route in dealing with the fact that they were actually five cities. So with the growth of Bettendorf in the second half of the 20th century, its numbers advanced to a point they could not be ignored.

Thus the Quad Cities played the fiction they were only four, and non-indusrial Bettendorf was made a part of what was four river towns that built a lot of stuff.

If Bettendorf received membership and only four cities could be quad, someone had to go and smallest and underoerforming East Moline was the obvious one to go. So it was East Moline out, Bettendorf.

First off...am I right in my assessment about who came out and who came in based on the name Quad Cities (E Oline is still a part of the Quad Cities Metro; it is just not recognized as one of four core cities? I think it is fine that the five cities are still called Quad Cities, not the Quint Cities. I am fine that Iowa City is not a Bif Fourteen college town

All I ask is why the Quad Cities had to pull East Moline out of the mix. Couldn’t they have announced that due to demographics, there were now five Quad Cities...Rock Island, Moline, East Moline, Davenport and Bettendorf but they still.wished to stick with their historical name of Quad Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
It was originally the Trie-Cities. Davenport, Moline and Rock Island.

E. Moline was added in the 1930's, so then it was the Quad Cities, Davenport, Moline, Rock Island and E. Moline. As you said Bettendorf started making things awkward as it outgrew E Moline in importance and population.

Back in the 70's or so they DID actually try to rebrand as the "Quint Cities", but of course old habits die hard, they had the Quad City Times, it was written on buildings, in store and company names and very familiar to people - The Quad Cities.

No one followed along with the Quint Cities, and it just stayed the Quad Cities. As Bettendorf became the "obvious" fourth city, people just thought of it as part of the Quad Cities and E. Moline was just - whatever.

If you ask people who are aged 50 and under they'll just know the Quad Cities as Davenport, Bettendorf, Rock Island and Moline. If you try to debate on E. Moline they will probably just roll their eyes and say "whatever".

It's just a nickname.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It was originally the Trie-Cities. Davenport, Moline and Rock Island.

E. Moline was added in the 1930's, so then it was the Quad Cities, Davenport, Moline, Rock Island and E. Moline. As you said Bettendorf started making things awkward as it outgrew E Moline in importance and population.

Back in the 70's or so they DID actually try to rebrand as the "Quint Cities", but of course old habits die hard, they had the Quad City Times, it was written on buildings, in store and company names and very familiar to people - The Quad Cities.

No one followed along with the Quint Cities, and it just stayed the Quad Cities. As Bettendorf became the "obvious" fourth city, people just thought of it as part of the Quad Cities and E. Moline was just - whatever.

If you ask people who are aged 50 and under they'll just know the Quad Cities as Davenport, Bettendorf, Rock Island and Moline. If you try to debate on E. Moline they will probably just roll their eyes and say "whatever".

It's just a nickname.
Thanks for the answer..lots of stuff i didnt know

Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
On a further note, the suburban boom inspired growth of Bettendorf has slowed dramatically in recent decades but nevertheless it is still climbing albeit at a much slower pace such that it will likely pass Rock Island soon after the 2020 census count.
Moline is currently the largest of the Illinois cities in the metro area but, if long term trends continue, it too will eventually be passed by Bettendorf.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Wow, I always thought Bettendorf was the 4th city. Not E Moline.

I was born in Davenport and lived in Bettendorf as a baby.

Mind is blown.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM

529 posts, read 647,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Wow, I always thought Bettendorf was the 4th city. Not E Moline.
Hand up, same here.

Also the B1G hasn't had 10 teams in forever. I'm pretty sure all of the other conferences with a number in their name do not have the corresponding number of teams in their conference. This thread is dumb.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Here is a link with very specific & recent (2015) population estimate data for the Quad Cities metro & it's various cities. I should have included this when I last posted here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_C...ropolitan_area

Old 06-04-2019, 10:14 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Bettendorf also actually helps form a quadrant with the other three whereas East Moline lopsides it a bit.

Since these are across state lines, is the mass transit system there really balkanized?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
It's kind of like how Chicago still gets called the "Second City" sometimes.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:01 PM

66 posts, read 47,370 times
Love the Quad Cities, wish more development would happen in downtown areas and just overall there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois