Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 30,547 times

Advertisements

Just tossing around some entrepreneural thoughts about the Carbondale, Il area and wanting to know what the people down there are needing or wanting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Close to the SIU campus, anything that students might want to buy. But the market is full of all types of small shops and eateries. Competition would be stiff for new entrants.

Away from the campus, it's all the usual national chains.

Probably more opportunities in smaller surrounding towns, if you have a unique product or service.

Best advice down in these parts, is to offer something Walmart doesn't sell or do.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:50 AM

17 posts, read 70,182 times
Is there a music store in this area which sells new and/or used guitars?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixxiSpumoni View Post
Is there a music store in this area which sells new and/or used guitars?
Most likely, as SIU has 25,000 students, many fitting into the guitar buying demographic.

Seems easier to search online, unless a guitar aficiando happens to wonder through this forum..

Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 30,547 times
I'm familar with the town, but I was thinking about things like speciality resturants, mail boxes etc. dry cleaners, GOOD laundry services, the day to day stuff you need and find it's not available in Carbondale, and you have to run to Marian. Something thats needed by the students, but when the college kids go home, its' still needed by the locals. How about a Swimming Pool facility! Unless you pay to go to the SIU rec or go to the lake, your out of luck. Come on anything else you can think of?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchance View Post
I'm familar with the town, but I was thinking about things like speciality resturants, mail boxes etc. dry cleaners, GOOD laundry services, the day to day stuff you need and find it's not available in Carbondale, and you have to run to Marian. Something thats needed by the students, but when the college kids go home, its' still needed by the locals. How about a Swimming Pool facility! Unless you pay to go to the SIU rec or go to the lake, your out of luck. Come on anything else you can think of?
Real estate is so cheap here, most people of any means, have some sort of pool at their home. What towns that do have public pools, you wouldn't want your kids swimming there.

Most businesses in these parts are subject to failure. Other than the occasional new bar or restaurant, there's not much success here.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,512 times
I am considering moving to the area. How is the night life? Are there good bars that offer entertainment? What kind of bars are represented and doing well? Country, Rock and Roll, Hip Hop (I could live without this one)? How about a nice Wine Bar or Brewery?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 AM
tlw

97 posts, read 432,573 times
Carbondale is a rough town for many businesses whether new or existing. SIU is the largest employer and has been losing students since the 1990's. The enrollment was at a high of 25,000 then, got down to 19,000, and is barely 20,000 now and stalled. People in the know will tell you that the 20,000 figure is being fudged too. Town is a ghost town in the summer.
The hospital is the next largest employer. There is no industry there to speak of and the downtown area is rather bleak and not much to it.

However, down the road a few miles on 13 east is where the growth is happening. Herrin, Carterville, and especially Marion .......... which sits on the interstate. Aside from losing their Circuit City distribution center recently, which was not Marion's fault, that town is kinda kicking everyones butt down there.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,334 times
Default Question about contracting business

I'm not all that familiar with the correct posting format, so please bear with me. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, however, my mom grew up in Murphysboro. I have always loved visiting, and some of mom's childhood friends are still in the area. For those who live in Carbondale or the surrounding areas, how do you think a contracting business would fly there? My husband and I have been in the business for four and a half years and find the increased red tape in Chicago to be frustrating. We did live in Minocqua, WI, for four years, so we know that rural areas aren't without their own issues. It's just that he grew up in small western Illinois towns and would really like to get back to his roots. We do have a bit of money stashed away for the transition time, but if there wasn't really a great chance of success, we'd just stay put for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
tlw

97 posts, read 432,573 times
I think a new contracting business in Carbondale would be a challenge. As I stated, SIU enrollment has really taken a hit since the early 90's. They are finally taking some steps that other universities in the area have been doing for years in offering instate tuition rates to try to draw students that might attend SEMO, Murray State, Evansville ......... can't remember the entire area the offer covers.

Enrollment has gone down from a high of about 25,000 in the early 90's to 19,000. It is now barely 20,000. Also in that time, the university has built hundreds of new student rental apartment units. Many of those parking lots are pretty empty. In turn, this has the private landlords screaming as they now have a ton of empty units.

There was some construction of what in that area would be considered higher end homes outside the Murphysboro city limits. I'm guessing the economy has slowed that considerably. I feel the potential for new starts is west of Carbondale. Carterville, Herrin, Marion are almost melding into one area with the residential and business construction, though I'm sure they are taking a hit too. John A. Logan College in Carterville has had a huge enrollment increase in the last 10 years and added buildings. Marion, in particular, has been very aggressive in recruiting new businesses to their town. They have had the sense to target real business and not just another box store or chain restaurant there though they have those too. Just north on the interstate from Marion is Rend Lake State Park which is a wonderful facility, and also very active in their marketing especially to St. Louis. Marion also has a relatively new minor league baseball team and stadium. The town in general seems to have quite alot of community drive, plus the interstate is a draw for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois