Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:01 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Interesting. Not sure which people on this thread actually live in Chicago. My perspective since moving to the city last year from the suburbs has changed a lot. Here's my take. Note, this is just "generally" and doesn't apply to every person.

The people in the city are generally more empathetic, more about total community, and more about causes. It's a night and day difference. People in the suburbs tend to enjoy their space, their silos, and are much more competitive with each other. There is less sharing in the suburbs, more independence. People I've met in the city, the community boards, spirit, etc. is much more about togetherness.

Sometimes, this togetherness mindset can be bothersome to people who happen to live here, doing just dandy, and want to be left alone. But this is a much lower % of the population than it is in the suburbs.

I say all that because this permeates into politics. I've observed JB and Lightfoot very closely. Yes, there is a solidarity against Trump sentiment with both of them, but frankly, that's true about a lot of the residents in Chicago proper as well. When it comes to the virus, the PEOPLE all around me are WAY more afraid of it, WAY more careful, WAY more hesitant to open their businesses. People in Naperville, for example, don't wear masks even in crowds, and want rapid opening so they can drink their wine at restaurants again. We had lunch at Quigley's - and as I put on my mask to go inside and use the bathroom, the staff was like, "you don't need to do that". I'm like, "um, I'll do it anyway".

Lightfoot and JB have been cautious about the virus, but look at Illinois' numbers. All our metrics have plummeted, to the point we are one of the safest states now. And things are opening up. Look at what's happening in Arizona. Just look at the arrows at the top of this link.

https://projects.propublica.org/reop...1_Raa6eiUB7PPk

I do not buy all this conspiracy bulls$!t. The behavior of our politicians surrounding the virus are generally following CHICAGO's mindset of the PEOPLE here. Now, you can argue that JB needs to think of the whole state, and he should, and frankly, I totally agree he should have opened the rural areas of Illinois several weeks earlier. But Chicago has been handled appropriately.

Think about this - if there was a conspiracy to keep businesses closed, wouldn't Lori have used the protests as an excuse to delay the Phase 3 rollout? She didn't though, she moved ahead with reopening as planned.

As for the looting/rioting. I honestly think Lightfoot and JB were under-prepared for that initial weekend. They got caught a little bit with their pants down. They should have lined up more protection. They brought in IL state guard on Day 2 or 3 I believe. This seemed to be pretty consistent with other cities.
This is a pretty good observation generally. I'd say Naperville has looked like a very risk-based place in terms of masks and cautious behavior. I've generally seen extreme caution while in grocery stores the last couple months, but I saw a lot less concern at restaurants Friday when I drove through dt Naperville.

In terms of the protests that have occurred out here (Naperville), they've generally been peaceful except for Monday night after they were peaceful for 6+ hours. It seems like the looting that occurred were more of the opportunists. Two subsequent protests occurred Thursday and Friday and wrapped up by about 6:30pm. I don't think Pritzker should've done anything else, even on Monday. I'd blame any looting on the local police, but apparently the police's strategy was to minimize any physical conflict. I watched a livestream, and the police seemed to just trudge north on Main St following the path of the looters. I'm sure they could've gone faster and at least scared them off and prevented some of the looting and vandalism. They drove into the Walgreens parking lot and stopped them from doing anything beyond breaking the front window, and the looters ran off. It was encouraging later in the week to see all the people get out and put up the hearts throughout downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 09:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,469,474 times
Quote:
Interesting. Not sure which people on this thread actually live in Chicago. My perspective since moving to the city last year from the suburbs has changed a lot. Here's my take. Note, this is just "generally" and doesn't apply to every person.

The people in the city are generally more empathetic, more about total community, and more about causes. It's a night and day difference. People in the suburbs tend to enjoy their space, their silos, and are much more competitive with each other. There is less sharing in the suburbs, more independence. People I've met in the city, the community boards, spirit, etc. is much more about togetherness.

Sometimes, this togetherness mindset can be bothersome to people who happen to live here, doing just dandy, and want to be left alone. But this is a much lower % of the population than it is in the suburbs.
I live in Chicago and that sounds really nice. But, census data shows we have more segregation than togetherness:

North Lawndale: 89% African-American (Not far from the north side at all)

East Garfield Park (this is literally right next to the up and coming Humboldt Park and West Town (home of Wicker Park and Bucktown), and the Blue and Green Lines run right through it): 91.28% African-American

West Garfield Park: 95.60% African-American

Douglas (right next to red hot Armour Square/Bridgeport): 70.68% African-American

Grand Boulevard (ditto): 90.62% African-American

Chatham: 96.61% African-American

Auburn-Gresham: 96.86% African-American

Englewood: 94.98% African-American

South Shore: 93.47% African-American

South Lawndale: 88.31% Hispanic

Brighton Park: 85.11% Hispanic

Archer Heights: 76.2% Hispanic

South Chicago: 74.1% African-American; 21.65% Hispanic

And so on...

Do you have any explanation for this if Chicago is so together to the point of being bothersome to outsiders? Do you think this will change now that BLM and protests have taken such a prominent role over the past couple weeks? I know of a group which urged protesters to come to the south side and help clean up. The event wasn't well attended by people outside the area I heard. So I'm not hopeful but I am willing to listen as to why we should be hopeful. Otherwise, people are going to continue to be more bothered by the blatant hypocrisy than this annoying togetherness you speak of!

Old 06-08-2020, 11:33 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,857,367 times
Great stats BRU. Chicago is indeed an extremely segregated city when you look at certain areas of it.

I guess my post applies more to the majority white communities, where I've spent most of my time. I went from a mostly white Naperville to a slightly less (but still mostly) white section of Chicago. I should have qualified my comments to that.

I have seen groups from up here volunteering to clean up looting in mostly black neighborhoods though. Generally speaking, when people live in higher density areas, they are more cognizant of their communities than people living in huge louses on culdesac lots, where you can move around a fair amount and still be on your own property.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:18 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Different races dont get along and never will. Its human nature. it is safer to have us even more segrated than we are now. And the crap this week will tear people more apart than ever

Old 06-08-2020, 01:37 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,267,221 times
Robert9, my brother, I do believe that " no one is born a bigot." That said, it seems to be human nature for humans as they age to side with those typically with commonalities.
Look at small children on a playground. ALL they want to do is play with other children, and smile, and laugh, and have fun! What a great time of life.... If I may quote Jesus Christ from the Bible: I assure you that whoever does not accept the reign of God like a little child shall not take part in it." Mark 10:15
But even take an all-White populated school, for example. All children are friends since kindergarten and by middle school cliques form and not everyone is a friend. And only 5 or so years have passed, the whole time they have been school mates.
In an ideal world, everyone would accept everyine as an equal. But, this is the egotistical flaw in many human beings.
By a person's golden years when everyone is in a nursing home, everyone is friends again it seems, regardless of who they are. Did you ever notice that? Everyone just wants to be old people friends again.
Hmmm, I guess human nature brings us as extreme elders to live the same as when we are babies ( eat soft foods, hardly any teeth, use a diaper, sleep all the time, not much that is remembered and JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN WITH WHOMEVER IS BY YOUR SIDE!
Now, if only there was a way we could hold onto that last part, for all the years in between!

Old 06-08-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Great stats BRU. Chicago is indeed an extremely segregated city when you look at certain areas of it.

I guess my post applies more to the majority white communities, where I've spent most of my time. I went from a mostly white Naperville to a slightly less (but still mostly) white section of Chicago. I should have qualified my comments to that.

I have seen groups from up here volunteering to clean up looting in mostly black neighborhoods though. Generally speaking, when people live in higher density areas, they are more cognizant of their communities than people living in huge louses on culdesac lots, where you can move around a fair amount and still be on your own property.
I don't want to virtue signal in reverse here and that's all well and good. By no means do I want someone to feel bad about living in a community that has great amenities, architecture, vibrancy, and all that. More power to you. We've got enough guilt around here as it is, clearly. But when people are angrily protesting about unfair treatment of minorities, particularly African-Americans, I just have to ask, "well, why don't you move to one of these communities, if you really believe cops, disinvestment, and realtor redlining are the problem?" You could fix the last two and make a dent in the first one (if the cops are systemically abusing people, which quite frankly the stats don't show). Just by virtue of presence.

That's what's happening now, louder and more shrilly than I've seen in all my days. And I'm betting I'm not the youngest person on here. So will we get more integration now? Or will this turn into a big nothing burger?

Old 06-08-2020, 03:00 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Different races dont get along and never will. Its human nature. it is safer to have us even more segrated than we are now. And the crap this week will tear people more apart than ever
There is some truth to this, but it is woefully simplistic. All socially constructed groups will find themselves at odds at some point or another. Race is certainly a big one. But, looking historically, it isn't at all clear that race is any more contentious than nationality, for example. Gaps can be bridged. Wounds can be healed. However, it is very difficult, and radical politics are entirely counterproductive.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
There is some truth to this, but it is woefully simplistic. All socially constructed groups will find themselves at odds at some point or another. Race is certainly a big one. But, looking historically, it isn't at all clear that race is any more contentious than nationality, for example. Gaps can be bridged. Wounds can be healed. However, it is very difficult, and radical politics are entirely counterproductive.
Everyone is going for these feel good solutions right now. "Don't worry, we'll get the police off your streets and then the decades of oppression will be gone and you will be fine!" That's a load of mob-driven horse manure. If you want to see impoverished big city neighborhoods quickly morph into Rio-style favelas, go ahead and abolish police departments. The poor neighborhoods will be quickly divided up by violent warring gang factions and ignored by the rest of the city. To get protection, they'll have to pay the local gang. Only this style of policing won't be covered by civil rights laws.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:19 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Everyone is going for these feel good solutions right now. "Don't worry, we'll get the police off your streets and then the decades of oppression will be gone and you will be fine!" That's a load of mob-driven horse manure. If you want to see impoverished big city neighborhoods quickly morph into Rio-style favelas, go ahead and abolish police departments. The poor neighborhoods will be quickly divided up by violent warring gang factions and ignored by the rest of the city. To get protection, they'll have to pay the local gang. Only this style of policing won't be covered by civil rights laws.

"Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is also true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on".
-John F. Kennedy

Old 06-08-2020, 07:36 PM

4,869 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
"Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is also true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on".
-John F. Kennedy
John F. Kennedy's values and leadership would would make him a Republican today.

The liberals love to claim him, yet today's Democrat statement is:

"Ask not, what you can do for your country, but what your country can do FOR YOU!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois