Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 11:17 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times

Advertisements

Chris Welch to replace Mike Madigan as speaker!!!!! Proof that if we stand together we can get rid of evil!!!! My hats off to the courageous 19 democrats who said no more to his tyranny!!!

https://abc7chicago.com/chris-welch-...chael/9623611/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Chris Welch is Madigan's closest ally and underling. He is probably going to be a proxy for Mike Madigan. Overall, it looks to be a case of meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:07 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Chris Welch to replace Mike Madigan as speaker!!!!! Proof that if we stand together we can get rid of evil!!!! My hats off to the courageous 19 democrats who said no more to his tyranny!!!

https://abc7chicago.com/chris-welch-...chael/9623611/
Chris Welch, the same committee chair who just torpedoed the investigation of Madigan's involvement in the ComEd scandal and then lectured the committee Republicans for daring to smear Madigan's good name? Yeah, that's the guy I trust to provide ethical, transparent governance.

This state is fk'd.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:40 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times
I hear ya but at the very least it now creates a power struggle. Remember Welch had to say all that stuff because Madigan was the mafia boss. Now he's not. Will Welch's ego really allow him to cater to Madigan's demands after the party just told Madigan to step down? Will donors / bribes flock to Madigan's door or to Welch's? I predict this will put a sizeable dent in the power Madigan normally has...and Welch will gradually say more and more "What do I need you for?" Politics is all about power...and Welch just took that away from Madigan.

Next step is now hopefully Welch isn't as careful as Madigan is about phone/email and we catch him in a provable scandal...and so on and so on until we gradually bring the whole thing down. But none of this would start without taking Madigan out as speaker!

Old 01-13-2021, 01:08 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
A power struggle between two corruptocrats is not worth choosing sides over. A power struggle between Stalin and Trotsky yields roughly the same result.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:07 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Considering Welch's first move was to publicly fellate Madigan for all his years of "service", Welch looks to be nothing more than Madigan's hand-puppet going forward. Lovely.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I was just glad to hear Madigan stepped down and is replaced. Who knows, even though the new guy is closely linked to Madigan, he is new blood. MAYBE he will be his own man. I can dream, cant i?

Old 01-13-2021, 10:11 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I was just glad to hear Madigan stepped down and is replaced. Who knows, even though the new guy is closely linked to Madigan, he is new blood. MAYBE he will be his own man. I can dream, cant i?
I think Aerosmith said it best...

Old 01-14-2021, 07:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Chris Welch, the same committee chair who just torpedoed the investigation of Madigan's involvement in the ComEd scandal and then lectured the committee Republicans for daring to smear Madigan's good name? Yeah, that's the guy I trust to provide ethical, transparent governance.

This state is fk'd.
Yeah unfortunately that was my initial reaction. This seems like a calculated and perhaps cynical political move to take the heat off the Democratic Party. Minority Speaker and all that. We will see what happens but he's a long time part of the political machine, going back to his days on the Proviso school board. And as was said, he immediately quashed the investigation into Madigan by the General Assembly.

I'm also surprised the past allegations of violence and retaliation against women are not more of a factor in the media. Has any outlet even reached out to the alleged victims? Not that I've seen. But I guess it's different because he's not being appointed to the Supreme Court? I don't know. It's hard to keep up with which standards apply where these days!

Old 01-15-2021, 08:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
A couple threads from another board talking about our new speaker from back in the day, for what they are worth..

D201 withdrawals

Voting Question

Sorry to turn to blog posts but I remain absolutely gobsmacked that our local media is not digging into this more. The Tribune editorial board is always whining about the "Illinois Exodus" and bad government, yet they are basically dead silent on analyzing our new speaker's background, which includes potential violence and retaliation against women.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. His appointment seems to be kind of a modern political take on the old "are you gonna hit a guy with glasses?" schtick from a long time ago. They don't dare criticize him, lest they be accused of bias. That is really our loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois