Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 01:00 PM

78,401 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Ah yes, the "assault weapon" ban that includes many types of pistols. What a total farce.

Law is going to get a constitutional beatdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 01:52 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah yes, the "assault weapon" ban that includes many types of pistols. What a total farce.

Law is going to get a constitutional beatdown.
But they are mean looking pistols and weapons of war, therefore they must be banned!

Old 03-08-2023, 03:59 PM

732 posts, read 484,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
That does not appear to be correct per the legislative language. Check with your attorney if concerned.

Pre-ban hand gun magazines holding more than 15 rounds owned by people authorized to own them before the effective date of the new restrictions........ "shall possess such device only:
  • on private property owned or immediately controlled by the person
  • on private property that is not open to the public with the express permission of the person who owns or immediately controls such property
  • while on the premises of a licensed firearms dealer or gunsmith for the purpose of lawful repair
  • while engaged in the legal use of the large capacity ammunition feeding device at a properly licensed firing range or sport shooting competition venue; or
  • while traveling to or from these locations, provided that the large capacity ammunition feeding device is unloaded and is enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container."
Section 720 ILCS 5/24-1.10(d)
Oh wow, well I guess I stand corrected on that, thx!

Old 03-08-2023, 04:21 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Oh wow, well I guess I stand corrected on that, thx!
This whole thing with magazines is all for political optics. When you get down to it, if you are only concerned about home security, nothing much has changed. If you have a CCL then you can no longer carry a handgun with more than a 15 round magazine but most carry guns are smaller and already have a magazine of less than 16 rounds. All that has happened is that they have created a PITA when you go to the range to practice with your full sized handguns with 16-19 round magazines (which you know, is something they should be encouraging). Now you have to drive there with empty magazines and waste valuable range time loading your mags.

Old 03-09-2023, 07:51 PM

232 posts, read 805,123 times
Well I didn't want to turn this post into political.... but yes I am confused why they added the pistol magazine ban to the AR ban. There's no difference between a 15 and 18 round magazine (okay maybe 3 rounds).

At the same time, why do many of you seem so confident this will be overturned? I thought there were a few states that passed similar laws and they've upheld.

Old 03-10-2023, 05:30 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
Well I didn't want to turn this post into political.... but yes I am confused why they added the pistol magazine ban to the AR ban. There's no difference between a 15 and 18 round magazine (okay maybe 3 rounds).

At the same time, why do many of you seem so confident this will be overturned? I thought there were a few states that passed similar laws and they've upheld.

Agree with you on the handgun magazine size. Makes little practical sense.

Those state laws were upheld pre-Bruen and most are now being challenged post-Bruen and/or state legislatures are trying to rewrite those laws to comply with Bruen. Also, there have been many decisions already all over the country overturning firearm restrictions and the Supreme Court tossed several active cases back down to the trial court to reevaluate their prior decisions in light of Bruen. In Illinois, a number of state cases have resulted in temporary injunctions for various parties against implementation the law. I think the most important cases against the Illinois legislation are the federal cases that have yet to be heard. Four of those cases were consolidated and will be heard in the upcoming weeks.

No one knows for sure how this will shake out but given the all the litigation across the country and the outcomes so far, the Illinois legislation seems to be on slippery footing. And it may not stop with the recent legislation. Other aspects of Illinois gun laws could be challenged as well. Only time will tell.

Old 03-12-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
This whole thing with magazines is all for political optics. When you get down to it, if you are only concerned about home security, nothing much has changed. If you have a CCL then you can no longer carry a handgun with more than a 15 round magazine but most carry guns are smaller and already have a magazine of less than 16 rounds. All that has happened is that they have created a PITA when you go to the range to practice with your full sized handguns with 16-19 round magazines (which you know, is something they should be encouraging). Now you have to drive there with empty magazines and waste valuable range time loading your mags.
Yep, all that, just annoyance/hindrance to lawful gun owners, hardly any increase of safety to the general public. I don't think these people know (or care to) how fast dumping a spent mag and slamming in a new one takes, you know, if one is loon in the midst of lighting up a place.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:25 PM

219 posts, read 135,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Registration precedes confiscation.
Absolutely. I registered my car 10 years ago and am waiting for them to confiscate it any day now.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:29 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Absolutely. I registered my car 10 years ago and am waiting for them to confiscate it any day now.
Don't hold your breath. This day may come too if the crazy far left climate fanatics get their way. If you still own a car that uses (shutter) gasoline that is made domestically they will stop at nothing to halt you from using it. Much better to have electric with Lithium batteries made in China from plants run by coal and rare earth metal mined in slave camps often by forced child labor.

Australia and Canada have proven that the next step really is confiscation. Then only the criminals or the government will be allowed to possess guns. You might also check into a little history lesson of what happened during the rise of Nazi Germany.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
You know, in the spirit of public safety and all, I applaud you for bringing attention to this. Here in murka, cars kill way more people each year than guns do, like way way more. We need an assault vehicle ban, or at least restrict the number of passengers they carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois