Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:09 PM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
So you moved over to the STL metro?
Yep, sure did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 07:12 PM

13 posts, read 42,532 times
Good luck... there's just not much there.

My dad moved down there to retire over 15 years ago.

His lady friend has a son working on his doctorate in Psychology and had to rent a room in Cape Girardeau, Missouri to live during the week to do some contract TA work, just to make money to feed his family.

The area is just so depressed economically. I know Target was positioned to open a huge distribution center in Marion last year and pulled out at the last minute. There is a large Walgreens distribution center in Mt. Vernon, 45 minutes from Carbondale, maybe something there to hold you until you can find something you love.

Again, good luck

Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 PM

27 posts, read 126,273 times
Psychology, try the Prisons, guard. Good higher paying job. I have a friend who is also college trained, works for KFC, the chicken place, he can't get a job, good job that is. Southern Illinois has the highest unemployment rate of the entire state, so that should tell you something.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 19,134 times
Actually, if you did some hard research into the area you might find that there is a huge need for counselors and psychology services in Southern Illinois. Have you sent out resumes to many healthcare facilities? I work for a Rural Health Clinic in Southern Illinois, we sent patients to Evansville for mental health services because there isn't anyone available closer. Personally we drive almost 3 hours to St. Louis three times a month to take our daughter to a psychologist because we couldn't find one here that we liked. There is a need for mental health professionals, you just have to do the work to get noticed. I'm not sure what part of Southern Illinois you are in, but you might try the Richland, Wayne, Wabash, White, Jefferson, Edwards county areas. I know there is a mental health facility in Richland county and there are professionals in the White and Jefferson county areas. You might even consider opening your own counseling office, there are of course things to consider such as malpractice insurance, operating costs, etc. But there are options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois