Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Bob, Illinois' law has been long-known throughout the COUNTRY as being intentionally vague and run by a kangaroo-court system, specifically so that they CAN issue more tickets!

I used to be in a band, and our drummer wore a shirt onstage that pictures a State Police cruiser and read, "Welcome to Illinois!---It's QUOTA TIME!!!"..... and the shirt was only HALF-kidding.......

Truckers do what they can to avoid crossing Illinois if they can, and I hold the state politicians and court systems in a personal state of contempt, for their dereliction of duty on a number of occasions.... but that's another story....

Send them a letter saying that no one has ever heard of this dumb-assed law, and DARE them to take your license away.... of course, they WILL do so, and eagerly at that, but maybe then you'd have grounds to sue for not only the return of the license, but financial damages as well... I dunno....

...but anything that sticks a finger in the craw of the Illinois "injustice system" is worthy of a donation, by me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,269 times
drivers watch your speed when on I 57 and you are between the 30 mile marker and the mississippi river. You will find state police, county police and even the cario police sitting up speed traps. This has been know for years by truckers and Illinois drivers. SO BEWARE

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake schmidt View Post
drivers watch your speed when on I 57 and you are between the 30 mile marker and the mississippi river. You will find state police, county police and even the cario police sitting up speed traps. This has been know for years by truckers and Illinois drivers. SO BEWARE
That is one of THE worst speed traps in the US....I used to haul coal down to Mounds and it was a rip off stretch even back then.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
It cannot be any worse than Mack's Creek in MO. They were writing so many bugus tickets, the city got hauled into court and ordered to stop harrasing drivers. It was one of the few times the courts actually did it by the book.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 PM

14 posts, read 67,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'm sorry Bob that you had that experience in our state....Unfortunately for you,you had several things going against you all at one time....

1) A VFF working a crash scene was killed south of Mt.Vernon on I-57 last year when a bus ran over him by not pulling over.

2) This state is nazi like on traffic enforcement (not issues that matter tho' such as meth eradication) and you just happened through an entrapment area that is second only to far south I-57 (mm 30 or so down to Cairo is by far the worst that I'm aware of) and it gets worse all the time.

3) You had out of state tags which spell easy money to this broke state.

I wish it wasn't like that but it is,and again,I'm sorry it happened.

You may want to call the county courthouse and check on other arrangements (Jefferson county more likely than not if it was right near Mt.Vernon)
thats funny because im a police officer, and i have never heard of giving tickets to someone and giving no breaks to anyone if they have out of state plates...i must have missed that training session in the police training institute

Old 03-13-2009, 06:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini_69_2000 View Post
thats funny because im a police officer, and i have never heard of giving tickets to someone and giving no breaks to anyone if they have out of state plates...i must have missed that training session in the police training institute
I'm a lawyer, and this seems to be one of those things that happens so often I'm amazed you didn't hear about it.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM

15 posts, read 86,007 times
Update:

I made several phone calls and talked to lawyers and friends in Illinois and wrote nasty emails but the short of it was to simply pay the fine. I did not have to go back to Illinois for the trial but it did cost me $350 and I was on 3 months probation -- so if I got another ticket in Illinois I could have got my license taken away. I was not planning to go to Illinois for quite some time so that was not a problem. It is really a sick unfair law but that the way it is in Illinois at the moment.

Some people recommended gettting a lawyer but that seemed overkill to me. I just called the local DA and worked out the "plea" deal.

Bob

Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 PM

15 posts, read 86,007 times
Another update to NotfromIllinois:

I did not "request another date and a jury trial". I simply called the DA's office as soon as I could and made arrangements to pay the fine. It was a nightmare but they mainly want your money. Just pay it and get it over with. Just my suggestion.

BTW, I suggest you post directly to this forum and not send private messages to me. Others will benefit from your situation.

Bob

Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbob99 View Post
Update:

I made several phone calls and talked to lawyers and friends in Illinois and wrote nasty emails but the short of it was to simply pay the fine. I did not have to go back to Illinois for the trial but it did cost me $350 and I was on 3 months probation -- so if I got another ticket in Illinois I could have got my license taken away. I was not planning to go to Illinois for quite some time so that was not a problem. It is really a sick unfair law but that the way it is in Illinois at the moment.

Some people recommended gettting a lawyer but that seemed overkill to me. I just called the local DA and worked out the "plea" deal.

Bob
Good, I am glad to see that your reckless behavior did not go unpunished.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbob99 View Post
Yes, I am going to call the Jefferson county States Attorney office as instructed by the trooper. Maybe there are alternatives -- I dearly hope so. Thanks for your concern and advice. I will post a follow-up on the results.
At your arraignment DEMAND that the court produce a "VERIFIED COMPLAINT" ( a complaint signed in front of a notary stating his/ her injury ) you see no injury no action the court can rule on .Its your constitutional rightto face you accuser. Here in California they even put the numbers on the NOTICE to APPEAR that the cop gives you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois