Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:28 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Marshall Wild Bill Hickock got in the middle of a near brawl after school graduation ceremonies that could have cost a great uncle his life. He said to uncle he would walk the family home and uncle argued. Wild Bill said, "I think I understand the situation better than you." He walked the famly home.

Mule, I think I'll just call you Bill.
"Ah just hates it when a know nothing loser talks bad about something he's clueless about ,Miss Kitty....have you seen Festus or Marshal Dillon today?"

Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
"Ah just hates it when a know nothing loser talks bad about something he's clueless about ,Miss Kitty....have you seen Festus or Marshal Dillon today?"
What was it the Marshall said? Oh yeah, now I remember. One of hte town crazies was wasting his time. Right before Matt left he commented, "Nothing from nothing is nothing; his well is empty." Why are you looking for Festus?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What was it the Marshall said? Oh yeah, now I remember. One of hte town crazies was wasting his time. Right before Matt left he commented, "Nothing from nothing is nothing; his well is empty." Why are you looking for Festus?
" He stole muh mule"

Old 03-01-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
" He stole muh mule"
Bill, that don't sound like Festus. He said he was goin' to the hotel for dinner. He musta borrowed it to do somthin' for Matt.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Ohio is the best state in the midwest overall. It has a good variety of large and mid-size cities like Cleveland (2nd Largest, Largest Metro), Cincinnati (3rd Largest, Largest Actual Metro some lies outside of Ohio), Columbus (Largest, 3rd Largest Metro), as well as Toledo, Dayton, Akron, and Youngstown. Illinois is completely downhill outside of Chicago. Michigan has many metros, Tri-cities, Detroit, Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Ann Arbor. I think the closest thing Illinois has to a second city is St. Louis or the Quad Cities. Peoria is too close to Chicago to be considered fully independent. Peoria gets Chicago and Peoria local news, so its disqualified.
So Peoria is part of Metro Chicago? Seriously?

Have you ever been to Illinois.

If tv news is your reasoning, when I lived in Georgia I got WGN. Atlanta is now part of Chicagoland.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Ohio is the best state in the midwest overall. It has a good variety of large and mid-size cities like Cleveland (2nd Largest, Largest Metro), Cincinnati (3rd Largest, Largest Actual Metro some lies outside of Ohio), Columbus (Largest, 3rd Largest Metro), as well as Toledo, Dayton, Akron, and Youngstown. Illinois is completely downhill outside of Chicago. Michigan has many metros, Tri-cities, Detroit, Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, and Ann Arbor. I think the closest thing Illinois has to a second city is St. Louis or the Quad Cities. Peoria is too close to Chicago to be considered fully independent. Peoria gets Chicago and Peoria local news, so its disqualified.
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any metro in IL that doesn't get Chicago news...Besides, by that reasoning, if my city receives the New York Times daily, does that make my city part of the NYC metro area even though I live in Wisconsin? o_O

Sorry, but Peoria could never even remotely be misconstrued as being part of the Chicago metro area.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any metro in IL that doesn't get Chicago news...Besides, by that reasoning, if my city receives the New York Times daily, does that make my city part of the NYC metro area even though I live in Wisconsin? o_O

Sorry, but Peoria could never even remotely be misconstrued as being part of the Chicago metro area.
Do not feel sorry. You have nothing to apologize for. Thank you for your post. Here is something for your reading pleasure. A four hour one-way drive time does not qualify Peoria as a Chicago bedroom community.but Kankakee does quailfy by its near Chicago location. Chicago is the Largest metro area in the Midwest, the largest city in the Midwest and the Chicago Metro areasa has greatest Midwest population whereas St. Louis is the smallest. It seems to me Central Illinois has the best of both worlds: mega metro Chicago to the North and Metro St. Louis to the South.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM

220 posts, read 675,193 times
How can St. Louis possibly be considered the smallest metro area in the midwest?

Also don't understand your logic that Central Illinois has the perfect location, using the same thinking, don't people in the Chicago area have it better because they live in the biggest metro area and have Milwaukee right next door?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 AM

Milwaukee is NOT in the Chicago Metro area and neither is Central Illinois or St. Louis. Look joh, when you try to compare Chicago to Peoria the pig won't fly. It is like traying to compare Kanakee to Atlanta, Georgia because of the colored population. This pig won't fly either. Let's not do that. I think Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the US. We should be able to agree. I think Kankakee residents are very lucky to be able to shop in Chicago every day of the week. If was there I would spend all my money at Costco and Trader Joe's. When I lived in Chicago those stores did not exist. Marshall Fields was the big dog in town.

In the Midwest, Wikipedia ranks Chicago metro as the largest and St, Louis as the smallest.

Illinois is a grain and livestock state. The OP wanted to know why IL does not have a second city posted on the forum? Where would you put a second city? The northern part of hte state has Chicago and the quads. Central Illinois has four smaller cities. Southern Illinois is heavily forested. Where would you build a second city that did not destroy tousands of acres of farm land? Most developers are just bot prepared to spend 750K on a section of land when thee is aleady four cities serving the entire region.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 AM

220 posts, read 675,193 times
I never said Milwaukee was in the Chicago area, simply said it was right next door, also giving the people of Nothern Illinois the "best of both worlds" that you feel Peoria has..

So St. Louis is smaller than Milwaukee?? How about Peoria? Bloomington-Normal? Indy?? Kansas City? Des Moines? Cedar Rapids? Quad Cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois