Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,624 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, my name is bambi and i'm from Argentina.
I'm going to attend a semester in the University of Illinois and i need to know the prices of the food you know basic stuff, for example (bread, milk, fruit, vegetables, meat, pasta etc), and the thing you need for the house like (tooth paste, shampoo, things to clean the house, etc) can you guys help me out? i'll really apreciate it.
thank you
p.s: sorry, my English is not very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:42 PM

115 posts, read 291,523 times
Bambi- What a fun semester abroad! (Welcome to the US and Illinois, early too!)

A really good way to see the prices of basic food and household needs is to see some store ads. Here's a link to Jewel (http://www.jewelosco.com/eCommerceWeb/LandingPageAction.do?action=begin - broken link), one of the major chain grocery stores here in the Illinois. Dominicks is another chain. I'm not sure which would be closer but you can go to each of the sites and see their weekly ad. You have to enter in a zipcode to get the information so try one where you'll be- do you have any correspondence with the University that would have the zipcode on the return address?

You can also look at the websites of Walgreens and CVS pharmacies where you can get basic stuff like toothpaste. (Although the grocery stores will have this too.)

As for basic food prices, it's hard to tell. I live in the Chicago suburbs and the prices are probably higher than near the University. For my family of 5 we spend about $800 a month (which is a lot) but we eat most meals at home and I have young children who need specific things. For one person this would be a lot less. Maybe $100 to $150 a month? It depends on what you like and how much you cook.

I hope this helps you plan for your stay here at the University. Enjoy it!

And don't worry about your English.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM

thank you so much Sarah, you have really helped me out. =)

Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Just stay away from the hunters and you'll be alright!

Sorry, that was lame, I know. Couldnt help myself though.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Bambi, your English is just fine. The main UI campus is in Champaign, Illlinois. If you going to come to Chicago for school, your biggest challenge is learning how to use the EL, trains and buses to get your groceries. Campus housing might be the best answer for you.

Most of the grocery stores also sell tooth paste, cleaning supplies, dish and bath soap, paper towels, toilet paper, tissues, and laundry supplies. You can buy plates, glasses, pans, skillets, sheets, pillow cases, kitchen towels, bath towels, hand towels and washcloths at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, Dollar General and some other places. I think Aldi's and Walmart have the best food prices. Don't worry so much about foods as most of the canned goods have pictures of what you are buying - and a few have labels in Spanish and English. If you have a sensitive skin I like Trader Joe's products. They sell a nice boday was gel and shampoo and also natural food..

If you are in Chicago you may well find many foods you are familiar with.. It is a very multi-cultural city. You can find the ladies personal feminine hygiene products at any pharmacy or grocery store, It would be good if you brought that with you to start. The girls or on campus can help you. with many things.

Almost any cleaning product made by Johnson & Johnson is pretty good. They sell products like Pledge furniture polish. Lysol has some nice air spray. Windex is pretty good for cleaning windows and mirrors. I like Tide laundry soap and Clorox bleach. You will also want a no-bleach fabric cleaner too and a fabric softner. Clorox is only for white cotton clothes like towels and underwear. The no-bleach is for colored clothes, nylon, rayon and polyester. If you put bleach such as Clorox on the colored clothes it can do a lot of harm. The colored clothes may have white spots, white streaks or no color. Be careful of what you buy. If the blouse you buy is silk - you will need to hand wash in the sink at home and hang to dry in the bathroom.

Your appliances may not work in America without a converter. American power is 110 volt AC (Alternating Current).

The following link is from the US State Department.. It tells you almost everything you will ever nneed to know about travel in America. There is a section for students, and a place to read Argentenian Health Alerts. Be sure to read everything especially about passports and documentation. Immunization, etc.. Argentina

The metro area is 12M and growing. It is a terrific city with mich to see and do. If no one is going to meet you at Ohare airport, be prepared for a long ride into the city. It have a lot of luggage you will be smart to take a cab to your new residence. It needs to be resrved well in advance. Now would be a good time to talk to the school if that has not already been arranged for you.

Good luck and welcome to the prettiest city in the world. If you get a chance to go home with a chum during break, do go. See and do all that you can when you have the opportunity.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM

wow linicx, thank you so much, you've written a lot of helpfull things.
that was very considereted of you.
again thank you very much.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:43 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
Which University of Illinois are you going to? Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, Springfield? That will determine what tips we can give, other than the typical ones you have to know living in the states. Congrats on going there, great choice as it's a great school!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 18,343 times
Default University of Illinois Champaign

Hi Bambi, if you're moving to Champaign Urbana campus, the prices are very afordable, bus is free with university card, operates day and night, so no need for a car, rent on average is 350 for a studio, 415 for a one bedroom, and 520 for two bedrooms, on campus. As far as groceries, walmart or aldi are the cheapest places, you can estimate to spend about 100 dollars a month in groceries if you're not extravagant, 50 can be enough if you're trying to economise.
Let me know if you have more questions,
best of luck

Old 05-10-2009, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,751 times
For a single person, I think if you are frugal you could get by for $150 per month for food and household/personal items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois