Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Hartmax protest: Illinois treasurer backs workers effort to keep factory open for Hartmax, maker of Obama's suits -- chicagotribune.com

Can anyone explain to me that this is anything short of flat-out corruption and official blackmail? Since when did the state have the authority to dictate a company's perfectly legal, legitimate business decisions? Does this guy have no conception of how damaging stuff like this is to the reputation of the state's business climate? Who the hell would want to set up a business in Illinois if they know they'll be working for Alexi Giannoulias and not for themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
How did Giannoulias get elected? Elect my liberal Republican Congressman to Senate - Mark Kirk 2010.

Giannoulias and his family are an example of what is wrong with Illinois. Giannoulias, Jackson, and Daley families are all opportunist faux-liberal idiots.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 PM

415 posts, read 1,739,070 times
He didn't threaten to pull their business license. He threatened to stop giving them the state's business. The state of Illinois can't tell them what to do, but Wells Fargo can't tell the state they have to keep their money in their bank either.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
He did not get my vote in the past and will not get my vote in the future.
This guy is going to run for governor or senator. Mark my words.

Don't vote for him.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
He didn't threaten to pull their business license. He threatened to stop giving them the state's business. The state of Illinois can't tell them what to do, but Wells Fargo can't tell the state they have to keep their money in their bank either.
Ah, they've changed some vital details of the story. But this is still sheer blackmail and it's a great way to 1) shrink the number of companies willing to do business with the state, and 2) build inefficiencies into the state's economy, which will hamper recovery efforts in the short term and drive business away in the long term.

Additionally, Mr. Giannoulias should be reminded that he is not in charge of the liquidation process, the bankruptcy judge is. And bankruptcy law generally favors recovering as much value as possible for the creditors. So maybe he should write his letter to the bankruptcy judge and see what he thinks about it. My guess is the judge would feed it to a billy goat.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
This sort of anti-corporate and anti-upper class populism is big right now. It's a good way to sort out the idiots, though. I'm suprised Joe Moore isn't marching around with Alexi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois