Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,929 times

Advertisements

me and the family are seriously thinking about moving to Springfield Illinois. Can anyone give any hints, tips, suggestions, do's, don'ts or any other helpful info please.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2006, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,923 times
Generally, Springfiled is located in central Illinois. It is about 3 hours to Chicago and 2 hours from St. Louis.

(a) Many Europeans don't understand how big the United States is very large. Travelling in the United States is not like travelling in Europe. Train transportation is terrible in the U.S. So, you either drive or you fly.

(b) The weather in Springfield is the worst of both worlds. It is very hot in the summer. It is much warmer than anything you experienced in the UK. The winters in Springfiled are cold with little snow. Go to Springfield in July for a taste of summer in Springfield.

(c) Springfield has 120,000 people. There are no suburbs. Entertainment and eating establishments are very limited. There is no theatre, opera or orchestra to speak of. There is no major university in Springfield.

(d) There is no "pub life" in the United States.

(e) You will be moving to the center of the United States. People in Springfield will be very conservative.

What more do you want to know?

Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,920 times
Smile Springfield, Illinois is not that bad.

Let me guess .. Ratwod lives in "Chicago". YUCK!

Jim and Sonia -

What do you want to know?

Springfield is the Capital of Illinois and is mostly a government town (lots of state agency buildings).

I live in a small town about an hour away. For me Springfield is a large city. Springfield is one of the cities we go to shop, eat out, see shows, etc. Others in Central Illinois include Decatur (ADM, Catapillar), Bloomington (State Farm), and Champaign/Urbana (University of Illinois).

I'm sure that moving from the UK to the US will be a culture shock, but dispite what Ratwod things, I like living in central Illinois. I like living in a small town where people are friendly and helpful.

What's important to you? What are you looking for?

I hope you give Illinois a try .. I think you'll like it.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:12 PM

35 posts, read 118,185 times
I live in Chicago too Russfort and my particular neighborhood is helpful, safe, and friendly. Everyone watches out for each other. Therefore, I highly believe you have your own stereotypes of what Chicago really is.
As for the Englishman, I used to be based in the United Kingdom with the United States Air Force and have traveled it well. being that I'm an Illinoisan, naturally I have been to Springfield. The biggest thing about Springfield is that it's a state capitol where all of the state government is operated. The other thing about Springfield is that it's firmly rooted in the agriculture business as its other industry outside of government. Much of Springfield's history surrounds Abraham Lincoln the former Preasident of the United States during the 1860s and Civil War. He's the original reason why America moved to a no slavery nation. It's not terribly small but it's definitely not cosmopolitan either. basic restaurants, basic retail, and basic entertainment. My best friend just completed his state police academy to be a state police officer in Springfield so I've spent sometime there with him before and after. And of course he had to live there 6 months. He hated it. He found it downright boring. If you're from a cosmopolitan city with culture, dining, entertainment, retail, diverse ethnicities, and multiple industries, you won't like Springfield. If you like really easy going, laid back, relaxed days and nights with farms surrounding you for miles and miles then Springfield is for you.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Unregistered

n/a posts
Default Jeez, Ratwood, Springfield isn't THAT bad

Actually, Springfield has daily Amtrak service to Chicago and St. Louis.

Yes, it's quite hot and humid in the summer and cold (and often rather dry) in the winter, but its summers are better than those in the South and winters less cold or snowy than those to the North.

Springfield has two substantial suburbs: Chatham and Rochester, and there are several smaller towns in the surrounding county.

It has no "major" university, but has a small state University, the University of Illinois at Springfield. Its auditorium hosts touring plays, comedians, opera, and musical acts, and is also the home of the Illinois Symphony Orchestra, which is surprisingly good.

Springfield is quite conservative politically (although it presently has a Democratic mayor). It does have a certain amount of nightlife in its increasingly lively downtown, where several taverns host live music (Blues and Jazz, particularly). The new Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is helping to fuel a revivial of downtown.

If you want a big city, Springfield isn't that. If you want a small city that's within a few hour's drive of Chicago and St. Louis, and has affordable housing and minimal traffic problems, it's not bad at all.

--A Springfield transplant

Old 01-28-2006, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 11,640 times
Default Much better--Springfield MISSOURI

I lived for 10 years in Springfield, Illinois. I live outside Springfield, Missouri now and can tell you that Springfield, Missouri is MUCH better for weather, conveniences, travel, culture, and only 30 minutes from Branson.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 20,217 times
Default Don't do it!

First of all, you do not seem to be getting much feedback from people who have actually lived in Springfield, IL. I had spent most of my life (38 years) in Springfield or the surrounding communities. A lot will depend on what you are looking for. If corn, soybeans and the continual barage of Abraham Lincoln slogans are what you are looking for--you will enjoy it. If by employment you are looking to work in a government position (state government), again you should do just fine. Most of the work is service oriented (low paying) and very few other positions you will be able to find that will support a family through any substantial means unless you are looking at owning a business and keeping the primary sums for you and your family to live on. Between my wife, kids and I we have had direct involvement with almost every school and know the town like the back of our hands. We still go there frequently to visit family. More of our family just moved away also. I am not bitter on Springfield, just realistic. To get ahead, you move on to somewhere else. There is little growth and the houses are basically remaining static in value. Growth is on the west side of town and is somewhat good for central Illinois--Bloomington is booming more than Springfield. If you live in England and want to remain true to your roots, you will not find any English stores, or any other English "culture". My wife is English and she felt lost while she was there. Much of the food she liked, simply was not available to be found anywhere. We moved to Florida a few years ago and cannot get enough of it. The culture from northern to southern florida appeals more to people of English descent as there are many more shops, stores, etc that will allow you to step home again. The people are nicer overall the more north you go--gets to be like New York the farther south you go--more hustle and bustle less neighborly attitudes. The growth in Florida is rather unbeatable. There are communities that the house values are growing 30-35%. The state average for house values is 20%. This is unheard of in Illinois.

Take my advice--don't go to Illinois. You will feel trapped, unproductive and bored. To get ahead, you don't make lateral or backword steps...

Old 04-02-2006, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,890 times
Default Also moving to Springfield area

I'm also contemplating a move to Springfield and have visted both London and Springfield, so perhaps I can be objective. I find Springfield to be a charming city and enjoy my time there. While it's true that there isn't the pub life that you find in the UK, it's not exactly the backwater town that some people have described here. Whatever you decide, best of luck and perhaps we'll run into each other!

Old 05-12-2006, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,884 times
Smile Well.. I live in Springfield...

As a teenager I always thought I would move 'away' as soon as I could. Twenty years later I am still here and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. We actually live near one the suburbs (that Ratwood believes don't exist) so that my son can go to school there... there are about 8-10 'suburbs' around Springfield. Most are very small towns... ranging from 1000-4000 people. For groceries, dining and entertainment most people go into Springfield from the suburbs but they are very close. From my home on the very farthest of one side of Springfield to my friend's house on the farthest edge at the other side it is about a 25minute drive by highway. In between is the rest of Springfield!

Springfield is not a large city by any means... approx. 110,000 plus suburbs. We do have entertainment and dining. But they are not as varied as a big city of course. BUT... Chicago is only 3 hours by car and St. Louis only about 1 1/2. As far as I am concerned it's the best of both worlds. If you thrive on the big city life then Spfld would not be the place for you. But if you enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere where the cost of living is much less than a large city... while being able to easily drive to 2 larger cities easily... then it might be a place you would like.

I'm certain you have seen the demographic information on the city already so I won't go into any more of that. As for practical 'do's and don'ts' that you asked about. I would suggest some time renting a place first to get to know the city before investing in property. Safest bet for someone unfamiliar with the area would be to rent someplace on the west side of town. One place to AVOID on the west side is the area that includes Orchard Park Apartments and Chatham Hills apartments ... all in the Seven Pines road area.... as it isn't the safest area. Springfield is the type of smaller city where you will learn the 'areas' fairly quickly and it won't take you long to decide what area you would really like to settle down in 'for good'.

You haven't told us anything about the make up of your family (just you and wife?kids?) so it's hard to direct you to anything really specific but here are some thoughts ...

1) The Muni Opera (outdoor theatre) is a must do for fun in the summer... not always fabulous theater but always fun...and affordable too!
2) Have a horsehoe. It's THE local sandwich and there are tons of variations. The title of 'best' is always a topic to be discussed but you can't go wrong with the horseshoes at D'Arcy's Pint if you have time to stand in line to wait for a table... if not, I think the horseshoes are good at TopCats (rather unassuming place but good food). I'm not a huge horshoe fan myself but I do order them at both of these restaurants.
3) Parks... Washington Park, Nelson Park, Lincoln Memorial Gardens and Carpenter Park... all nice for a nature walk.
4) Historical sites... if you are at all interested in American history see the sites. There are all of the obvious Lincoln sites in Springfield and then there are New Salem and Clayville as well!

As I said... it's not big city... but it's very comfortable. It's primarily a 'soccer mom' community and if that's what you are looking for then I think you will enjoy it here. If you are looking for something more truly suburban I would suggest some of the suburbs of St. Louis... also very nice but a bit closer to 'the big city'. Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Maybe you should consider Boston. You might like it better than Il, though Boston is expensive (probably cheaper than London, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois