Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:03 PM

278 posts, read 622,887 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Spfld as well. Fortunately I've been gone now for over 25 years and have not missed it one bit. It's a strange little place and the people I used to know seem to just have this sort of 'old' mindset. It has a very odd mentality, and there is absolutely nothing to do. It's a small-ish city and the state workers seem to take it over. Springfield appears to be stuck and I"m not sure where. I just know I really disliked it, it never felt like home. I've lived in Kansas City now for almost twenty years (soon to move to Phoenix)and absolutely love it here. I would advise anyone who is thinking of moving to spfld to stay away. But then again, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 AM

77 posts, read 160,685 times
I hear you guys. I grew up in Springfield, graduated high school in 2004 and wanted to get the hell out of there quickly. I knew there were lots of poor people but crime was never really on my mind. I came back recently and it's just a noticably stagnating place. I was driving down North Grand and saw several cops had some guy on the ground in handcuffs. I went to the bars and the vibe was extremely violent, lots of ghetto white people trying to start fights. I know I know, that shouldn't have surprised me but it seemed worse than usual.

Just feeling scared for my town because as much as I hated it growing up I do feel some loyalty toward it now that I realize that community is important. It definitely doesn't help that all of the smart young people I knew have since gotten the hell out of there. There needs to be a way to retain that type of people... new industry or something. I wish I could help.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 22,435 times
Springfield has a class system. You have to own income-producing farm land, have your own business, work in medicine, work for the state, county, or city to actually be counted as a meaningful part of the local economy. Everyone else gets treated like dirt.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,189 times
When I saw this topic I got scared because I am moving down there from chicago soon. I agree pot holes suck but I will take pot holes over random shooting anyday. I am looking into an apartment at the poplar place townhomes it looks good on paper but I would not like to move into the same sort of thing I am leaving here.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 PM

77 posts, read 160,685 times
Depends, if you are from some of the more depressed south side or west side neighborhoods you might not think it is too bad. If my google maps is correct, you are in a bad neighborhood as far as Springfield goes though (that neighborhood west of dirksen is pretty bad and I've even seen it in the "worst neighborhoods in the US" list but I don't put a lot of stock in that.)

Unless you are living on minimum wage stay away from that part of east Springfield. It's really not that hard to find a cheap apartment in a decent area here, unlike Chicago. I really bet you could find something near the Washington Park area for cheap and live in a great place.

Last edited by temp2290; 06-04-2010 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: fjdsf

Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmarymack View Post
When I saw this topic I got scared because I am moving down there from chicago soon. I agree pot holes suck but I will take pot holes over random shooting anyday. I am looking into an apartment at the poplar place townhomes it looks good on paper but I would not like to move into the same sort of thing I am leaving here.
Yeah poplar place is on the edge of a pretty dicey neighborhood. It's nothing as bad as you may find in Chicago's more unpleasant places to live, but it's not all that great.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 AM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
I live in Springfield, have for 8 yrs now. I live right off IL 4 about 8 miles from Chatham. This is a nice area and not much crime around here. People jog through the neighborhoods, take their dogs for walks, and kids play outside. The area around Durkin Drive, is bad. Avoid that if possible. There's a lot of drug deals, sexual assaults, and robberies that take place in that area.

I'm moving from here, though. I don't like this city. It's boring because there's nothing to do and most of the people here are not friendly at all, not even the one's at church.

I'm moving back to TX where I know I'll be much happier.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,189 times
Thanks guys I really needed the feedback and I will be nearly broke when I get there so I may have to stick it out for a while mostly because the deposit is only 100 bucks and many of the places I have called want more. I will be finishing school soon and want to make a fresh start but I dont want to spread my self too thin by running through my savings.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:48 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Thanks guys I really needed the feedback and I will be nearly broke when I get there so I may have to stick it out for a while mostly because the deposit is only 100 bucks and many of the places I have called want more. I will be finishing school soon and want to make a fresh start but I dont want to spread my self too thin by running through my savings.

I understand being really broke, but honestly, try to find a better place. There are managed apartments and landlord owned apartments that may let you pay the deposit a bit at a time - doesn't hurt to ask.

Here are apt areas to avoid: Anything in the Chatham Hills/Seven Pines Road Neighborhood, Durkin Drive, Poplar Place, Georgetown apartments, MacArthur Park apartments.

These places will appear great on Craigslist or wherever, but you want to stay away. They are super cheap for a reason. If you live there, you will feel like you're still stuck in Chicago.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
I wanted to reply to this too - no, it's not quite as bad as Chicago (in most areas anyway, in terms of crime) but we have already had a few random shootings. Go to the SJR website (Home - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register) and you can read local news and police beat, and find some better apts than you'll find on craigslist. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois