Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times

Advertisements

Muleskinner, is your shop close to the Tunnel Hill trail?
Beautiful country down there, always enjoy my business trips down that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Muleskinner, is your shop close to the Tunnel Hill trail?
Beautiful country down there, always enjoy my business trips down that way.
Yes Sir...it touches it...If you take the trail you can reach your arm out as you ride by and hit my back bay door

Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM

110 posts, read 204,951 times
Golconda. Man, that brings back memories of being a kid. Grandpa's camper, hunting, watching him skin the fish.

Sorry, mule's post got me all nostalgic.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:16 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Focused- View Post
Golconda. Man, that brings back memories of being a kid. Grandpa's camper, hunting, watching him skin the fish.

Sorry, mule's post got me all nostalgic.
LOL~When I think of Golconda all I can think about is eating shrimp,gator tail etc.

We used to fish there quite a bit too,but for some reason I haven't fished that area in quite awhile...may have to make that a goal for this spring.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,010,518 times
The further southern counties are more closely aligned with Paducah KY for goods and services, than Carbondale/Marion. Most of us rarely go to Carbondale/Marion, unless it's something SIU related.

Paducah is superior retail and healthcare wise IMHO. The same holds true for Cape Girardeau MO, for those in Alexander and Pulaski County. Carbondale/Marion is not necessarily the closest or best option, depending on where you live. Anything south of IL146 is closer to either Cape or Paducah.

Pope County is the general location for horse trails, hiking, hunting, etc. Boating and fishing is more often conducted in the Kentucky/Barkley Lake area. I'm speaking strictly of the counties that border the Ohio River.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 PM

23 posts, read 58,636 times
Carbondale is a better option than Marion, in my opinion. I believe someone on this thread said Carbondale has "gone down hill" or something like that in the past couple of years, but this isn't true. Population has increased by about 4,000 since 2000, we have gotten numerous new businesses and services, and Marion has progressed at somewhat of a slower rate.

If you are looking for some place with culture, Carbondale is a clear choice. It is in almost every way the cultural "beacon" of Southern Illinois (most of this is due to the university).

As for crime, it has gone down in the past couple of years and is mostly confined to a few neighborhoods on the East Side (and even that crime isn't huge).

Not to bash Marion, but it is somewhat bland and colorless, merely a product of sitting on the interstate.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 10,445 times
So what happened? I think that unless you are from So Ill, you won't like it. It's just one of those things, like alot of rural areas. Once you get away from Marion/Carbondale/Herrin, that highway, you won't find much. It is just a dying area, and health care there is atrocious. At least in Marion and Carbondale, they have docs, but just keep in mind you will end up in St Louis for anything serious. The Miners have added a fun element to lifestyle. These areas are largely not progressive in their thinking, keep that in mind. There is some wealth in Marion, though, and you could find a very nice house there; look out by the high school, out by the golf course, and then further out from the high school, there are some "mansions" out there. Those are certainly nice areas in which to live.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Let's make one thing crystal clear. Health care in rural America sucks. It makes no difference what state you live in, you will find medical persons who should not hold a license. In very isolated rural America the best "doctor" is often the large animal Veterinarian.

In the Midwest there are only two hospitals consistently ranked among the TOP 25. Mayo's in Minnesota and Barnes-Jewish in St. Louis. Depending upon the illness Illinois Doctors do send patients to both hospitals. This is not to say there are not smart hospitals and excellent doctors in rural Illinois because there are. The real challenge is to find him/her. I know of a old country doctor who has practiced more than 50 years and still charges $5 office call, and takes conference calls, too.

If you are accustomed to big city services and instant gratification, moving to rural America is a culture shock. Illinois is a heavily populated, beautiful Ag state with rolling hills, high cliffs, and large bodies of water that is sprinkled with small farm towns though out the state from border to border. If you do not like four seasons, being car dependent, and not being near a large city, do yourself a favor and stay home. You will never adjust or be happy.

Last edited by linicx; 09-26-2012 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 AM

10 posts, read 24,998 times
I would live down there in a heartbeat, except for healthcare, jobs, and schools. Wow, I guess those are big, huh? The point is, I love it down there but those areas mentioned are in bad shape, and I just can't do it. I know St Louis has some world class medical facilities but it is still a ways off and if you are in an emergency that is not good. I don't think any of the schools are top notch, even in the university town of Carbondale. You will find all kinds of people, although for the most part it is generally a bit "conservative" in thinking, whatever you take from that. Tolerance is not its strong point, but, I have lived in Chicago and tolerance there is atrocious for the most part. All that said, I would probably live in Marion, outside of Carbondale or anywhere in between. Otherwise, it is a hurting area, and I am not saying those areas are perfect by any means. Marion has some beautiful areas of town, with some affluence around the high school and back beyond, as well as out by the mall. Literally, some homes upwards of $1 million. I'd pick Kokopelli if you can afford it.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Interesting. Kokopelli, the flute player, is a Native American fertility deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scomu03 View Post
I would live down there in a heartbeat, except for healthcare, jobs, and schools. Wow, I guess those are big, huh? The point is, I love it down there but those areas mentioned are in bad shape, and I just can't do it. I know St Louis has some world class medical facilities but it is still a ways off and if you are in an emergency that is not good. I don't think any of the schools are top notch, even in the university town of Carbondale. You will find all kinds of people, although for the most part it is generally a bit "conservative" in thinking, whatever you take from that. Tolerance is not its strong point, but, I have lived in Chicago and tolerance there is atrocious for the most part. All that said, I would probably live in Marion, outside of Carbondale or anywhere in between. Otherwise, it is a hurting area, and I am not saying those areas are perfect by any means. Marion has some beautiful areas of town, with some affluence around the high school and back beyond, as well as out by the mall. Literally, some homes upwards of $1 million. I'd pick Kokopelli if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois