Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM

23 posts, read 92,510 times

Advertisements

I know there's a huge difference between the West bluff and the town of West Peoria. I have a high opinion of the west bluff and very low opinion of West Peoria. I'm still not seeing anywhere in your explaination that explains how West Peoria is older than Peoria. That's not an attack , it's a fact. West Peoria is nowhere near as old a settlement as Peoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
BeforeFort St. Louis II there was a french candian villiage that was burned to ground by indoams. Fort St; Loouis II was formed in 1691 in the area of Mary and Adams Streets. Around 80 yrs later ol' George moved south a mile or so and bullt a fortified home. Settlers followed and the downtown section of Peoria was formed. Illinois Terrirory was owned by the French, English and Virgina before it was ceded*to the US and attained statehood. Peoria county included Tazewell county before the vote for statehood was cast - therefore Tazewell County did not get to vote.

There is big difference between the West Bluff and the City of West Peoria. Peoria COUNTY was first settled in the early 1800s. The CITY OF WEST PEORIA was located in the an unincorporated area of Peoria County before it became a Township and before it became a City.

the Peoria County Courthouse is a veritable Peoria County encyclopedia. It is a good place to start research.

Enough with the personal attacks. This is the second warning. Pleaseo think really hard about adverbs and adjectives before attack #3 is launched. Each attack is worth a 1 point infcaction and a 3 day time-out. Multiply it by 3 and it adds up to 3pt infraction and 9 day time out. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoriashows View Post
I know there's a huge difference between the West bluff and the town of West Peoria.
I fail to see what this thread has to do with the community of West Peoria. The original poster was asking about the area around Moss and University/Macarthur Hwy, which we can all agree is NOT in West Peoria.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
The first settlers came to the Illinois River Valley in the 1600s. Settlers came to an area that would become Peoria County in the early 1800s. There is nothing to debate.

Why do you dislike the City of West Peoria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoriashows View Post
I know there's a huge difference between the West bluff and the town of West Peoria. I have a high opinion of the west bluff and very low opinion of West Peoria. I'm still not seeing anywhere in your explaination that explains how West Peoria is older than Peoria. That's not an attack , it's a fact. West Peoria is nowhere near as old a settlement as Peoria.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM

148 posts, read 624,076 times
Wow, this thread has quickly lurched off topic. I think we all could benefit by going back and reading the entire thread. If you do, you'll find that:

1). The OP asked about the West Bluff neighborhood of Peoria (specifically the intersection of Moss & University), not West Peoria.

2). linicx stated that West Peoria was an older neighborhood (meaning 50, 75+ years old), not that West Peoria is older than the West Bluff or Peoria.

3). peoriashows likes the West Bluff and doesn't like West Peoria. Fine, that's his/her opinion.

That said, maybe we could move this thread back to something pertinent to the OP's original question?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM

Go back and re-read the OP message. He had already rented an apartment on Moss and McArthur when he posted. Tjat was April. My guess is he has long forgotten this thread.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Go back and re-read the OP message. He had already rented an apartment on Moss and McArthur when he posted. Tjat was April. My guess is he has long forgotten this thread.
Yeah I already did (see my prior post). Doesn't change the fact the OP wasn't asking about West Peoria and I'm sure could care less about age of West Peoria debate here. Just trying to nudge the thread back on topic and bring some civility to the discussion. If the posters here want to engage in some back and forth rant about West Peoria then, have fun....

Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 PM

The OP made one post and left.

McArthur at Moss is at the apex of what used to be called Southtown - the least affluentl area of Peoria. Martin Luther King Blvd (formerlly 7th Street) is the first street below the bluss side of Moss Avenue.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The OP made one post and left.

McArthur at Moss is at the apex of what used to be called Southtown - the least affluentl area of Peoria. Martin Luther King Blvd (formerlly 7th Street) is the first street below the bluss side of Moss Avenue.
Moss ave (even at McArthur) is no more the apex of Southtown than Grandview Dr is the apex of Averyville. Southtown was at the bottom of the bluff, not the top.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scio42 View Post
Moss ave (even at McArthur) is no more the apex of Southtown than Grandview Dr is the apex of Averyville. Southtown was at the bottom of the bluff, not the top.
Then explain what happens one street below Moss? (Dr. Martin Luther King Drive)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Then explain what happens one street below Moss? (Dr. Martin Luther King Drive)
A gated community of middle/upper middle class homes from MacArthur to what used to be Spencer st & blighted neighborhoods from MacArther to Western ave.

I think we're just differing on the meaning of 'apex', which is an inclusive term. I doubt anyone would disagree that there's a big difference between Moss ave at the top of the bluff and 7th/King Jr at the bottom of the bluff.

Last edited by Scio42; 06-21-2010 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois