Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 47,321 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and will be working in South Bend. Can anyone offer several suggestions for "safe" nice apartments in the Mishawaka area. I am a single person and living alone; so a safe place is the number one important thing on my list.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Just curious, where are you moving to Mishawaka from?

Ok, Mishawaka is a pretty safe town really. Indian Lakes Indian Lakes Apartments - Location - Edward Rose & Sons
is a nice community right in the heart of shopping, dining, etc.

Edward Rose Real Estate is buying up much of the apartments in the area so in the link I posted you will find links to many other apartment communities as well.

There is a couple apts in the Main St. area near Edison (if memory serves right) that does accept section 8 and can be a little swanky so beware of that.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,994 times
Mishawaka is a very nice city, somewhat of suburban due to the expanding population growth and its proximity to South Bend (next door). Heavy commercial area with nearly all the stores one could want. As far as apartments, I would suggest the apartments on Main Street and Grape Road around the Edison intersection. In addition, there are nicer ones on Douglas and Day further north in the newer area.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 28,191 times
I just found these forums while looking for online real estate investing forums. I am actually a landlord in Mishawaka and live in one of my smaller apartment buildings on Main Street. With a smaller building, it's a lot easier to keep out the nonsense because first of all I live here and it's less people so they don't get away with blaming it on someone else. I've had no problem with safety for 3 years and used to live in Chicago suburbs and frankly find it safer here.

I have two one bedroom units or I would be happy to talk to you about the complexes that other landlords in the area have. I won't lie, some have nicer amenities than mine if you want pools, workout rooms, etc... (higher cost for that stuff though). Either way, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Currently living in the Elkhart area. I moved here from out west due to the economy/unemployment issues I was facing. So far I have not seen much in Elkhart that I like..... there are pockets of nice spots, but for the most part, the city is in need of a major overhaul. But I mostly want to live closer to my job, especially with driving in the winter weather.

Thanks All for the information so far.... it will help in my search.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM

34 posts, read 106,365 times
What part of the mishawaka area? If you're talking about downtown mishawaka rather than grape road, it might make a difference.

I lived in River Park apartments, which is right on the mishawaka/south bend border (half a block down from the logan street bridge on northside), for 8 or 9 years. I was very happy there. Free wireless internet for residents... I helped them set it up in ... I think it was early 2002. When I was there it was really quiet... mostly retirees and cops (the property manager was a retired cop and they gave special deals to cops I think) with a few young professionals. I don't maintain their website anymore... gave them tools to do it themselves, so I'm not up on the latest, but I think it's about 650 a month for a 2 bedroom.

So far as safety/crime... Just try to avoid parking on the street. You have a nice covered parking spot. The only problem I had was related to parking on the street... one year on the 4th of july, some punk teenagers in a pickup truck drove down several roads in the area smashing in windshields with baseball bats. Also, you can get plowed in if you park on the street, which kinda sucks for getting to work. Of course, you can get stuck in the parking lot if there's an ice storm, so park with good judgement

Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM

I am not sure what part of Mishawaka...... I am still trying to get familiar with the area. I just know when I was driving around checking things out, that Mishawaka impressed me the most. Since I am new to the area, all I have to go on is what I hear from others and what I hear on the news about crime in certain areas. I will be working in downtown South Bend (near Main St./Western. I like areas that are more well developed.... but safety comes first. I know you can't get away from problems completely, but I would like to at least minimize it.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab5456 View Post
Currently living in the Elkhart area. I moved here from out west due to the economy/unemployment issues I was facing. So far I have not seen much in Elkhart that I like..... there are pockets of nice spots, but for the most part, the city is in need of a major overhaul. But I mostly want to live closer to my job, especially with driving in the winter weather.

Thanks All for the information so far.... it will help in my search.
I spent some time out west as well and i also lived in Hellkart too. That city is so depressing and boring. Mishawaka is worlds better, you would not think 15 miles could make such a great difference but it does. lol.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Actually yeah, the whole elkhart/goshen area is wierd. Lots of country types there, more than over in Mishawaka so it seems. A little more diversity in the Mish/S Bend area too. I think you will find it more suiting than elk.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM

34 posts, read 106,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab5456 View Post
I will be working in downtown South Bend (near Main St./Western. I like areas that are more well developed.... but safety comes first. I know you can't get away from problems completely, but I would like to at least minimize it.
In that case, you'll want to be sticking to 'real' Mishawaka... the area surrounding Lincoln Way. The grape road area is a weird half-breed of Mishawaka and Granger, but either way, it's a bit out of the way, especially with traffic, for working in downtown south bend. There's lots of stuff actually *in* downtown south bend, too.

The apartments I mentioned above are about 8 minutes from your work. Mar-Main apartments are 2 minutes away. Those are really cheap but pretty cool if you dig historic buildings. The Pointe at St. Joseph is 3 minutes away. That's one of the more expensive places to live. Supposed to be very nice. I think it's gated and the parking is underground, but I've never been inside so I'm not sure.

There are also loads and loads of houses available for rent in the area if you're not tied to the apartment idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana