Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:12 AM

13 posts, read 88,636 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from Chicagoland Southwest Suburbs to Indy. He is from Crawfordsville originally.

I want to be near good gyms (like Lifetime) and natural food stores (like Wild Oats) which is why we're considering Indy rather than closer to Cville.

Anyhoo, any recommendations of really good areas but not TOO expensive out by Indy? I'm looking mostly for SAFE, low crime, areas.

Also, we have 4 dogs so dog limits are a consideration for us. (we have 2 GSDs and 2 Shiba Inus) No kids.

How is the commute to Indy? Since there is no real transit system like Chicago has, is it costly to commute to Indy to work as far as parking and commuting time??

I work in insurance but my husband currently telecommutes.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated as far as areas or suburbs to consider. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Just sent you a pm ..

Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 16,522 times
I'm not sure about natural food options, I currently live in Connecticut but am originally from Avon, a town right out side downtown Indy. I would maybe suggest checking out Danville. It's maybe about 20 mins from downtown Indy, it's somewhat rural but a nice little community. Avon, has been built up quite a bit, I would suggest being close to it but maybe not living there. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 57,333 times
Try Pendleton. Small but growing into a "bedromm" comm. In transition from rural to commuter. Ready access to large mall, but also convient to fresh produce and local farm 's, and road side stands, as well as health and natural food stores around the Castleton Mall area. Taxes are moderate schools are better( And safer)People are friendly. I lived there for several years and was reluctant to leave.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 29,426 times
Traffic is horrible 24 hours a day, plan on an extra 30 mins to get anywhere, cuz people drive on average of 25mph, and that's no joke!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 36,713 times
Gyms & natural food stores won't be found much outside of Indianapolis. You probably need to look at Broad Ripple or other areas on the north side of Indianapolis or Carmel and other northern suburbs. You might try looking up Trader Joe's locations in the Indianapolis area and use that as a basis for starting your search. The farther out you move from Indy the longer the commute and the fewer amenities will exist. Danville is a pleasant enough small community but the commute to downtown Indy will be tortuous with all the new construction that has occurred in in the Avon area between Danville and Indianapolis. The only market in Danville is a Kroger grocery. There would be plenty of room for four dogs though if you are out there in the country.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeofgoodies View Post
Traffic is horrible 24 hours a day, plan on an extra 30 mins to get anywhere, cuz people drive on average of 25mph, and that's no joke!
Seriously? Well, commute from Joliet to Chicago on the train is 3 hours r/t daily.

Can you beat that one?

Generally anywhere you commute in Chicago South to North suburbs near Chi will be about 1-3 hours one way every day...on a good day.

Gas in IL is about $3.50 a gallon mid grade when in Indiana it is $2.83. When your prices go lower, ours will too..but about .50 per gallon than yours are.

So again, what are the commutes like compared to mine?

Old 09-11-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo4iu View Post
Gyms & natural food stores won't be found much outside of Indianapolis. You probably need to look at Broad Ripple or other areas on the north side of Indianapolis or Carmel and other northern suburbs. You might try looking up Trader Joe's locations in the Indianapolis area and use that as a basis for starting your search. The farther out you move from Indy the longer the commute and the fewer amenities will exist. Danville is a pleasant enough small community but the commute to downtown Indy will be tortuous with all the new construction that has occurred in in the Avon area between Danville and Indianapolis. The only market in Danville is a Kroger grocery. There would be plenty of room for four dogs though if you are out there in the country.
I don't like Trader Joes.

My hubby mapped it and Lifetime and Wild Oats are 6 miles approx from Fishers. So somewhere around Fishers would be good for me!

Although I understand a lot of the supermarkets sell the vegetarian options now (my husband's mom lives in CVille and she can get all the veggie selections.. after her husband died of a stroke this year she's been a bit more careful about what she eats than ever).

Old 09-12-2006, 03:43 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollew View Post
I don't like Trader Joes.

My hubby mapped it and Lifetime and Wild Oats are 6 miles approx from Fishers. So somewhere around Fishers would be good for me!

Although I understand a lot of the supermarkets sell the vegetarian options now (my husband's mom lives in CVille and she can get all the veggie selections.. after her husband died of a stroke this year she's been a bit more careful about what she eats than ever).

Nic ... oh come on pal!!! You don't like Trader Joes??? Just kidding. I actually love the place. Actually, TJ's, Costco & Lifetime all all within a mile of each other and close to OUR HOUSE THAT'S FOR SALE in Fishers. I just had to throw that one in. And most of the mega marts here also have decent veggie and organic selections.

There's also Sunflower Market in Broad Ripple. It's a great little organic store.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 38,256 times
Living in Avon & Plainfield, Indiana are very expensive. The housing and taxes are exhorbitant. Commuting into Indy takes about 15 minutes. You could live on the west edge of Indy and go either direction, shopping in Avon--WalMart, Best Buy, eating out, etc.

Cardinal Fitness is a fitness chain that has locations all over Indy that has general treadmills, EFX's, bikes and weight equipment, as well as childcare. They charge $20/month per person + childcare. The other gyms are $40-$100/month per person or family. NIFS is the leading gym in the city and it's on the IUPUI campus. You can generally do a week or two of trial membership at most fitness center's including the YMCA's. If you are not picky about the equipment or prices, you will having plenty of choices. I needed a specific piece of cardio and cost & childcare were important so I bought a cardio piece and an all-inclusive piece for me to use at home.

Parking can be pricey to go to downtown events and work there too.

Nancy

Someone suggested living in Danville to commute to Indy. You'd be wishing for your right foot to fall off if you did that! It's annoying and car suicide to drive from I-465 all of the way through Avon to Danville. You will highly regret it. You would have a 25 minute commute west of the loop to/from work and that's with NO TRAFFIC. Then add the 20 minutes to get downtown. That's a bad suggestion unless you REALLY want a small town and don't want to pay the taxes. I wish we would have bought on that side of Avon now that we are paying such a high $ amount for gas since my husband has to commute west every day.

Nancy

Last edited by Marka; 10-15-2006 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana