Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 15,870 times

Advertisements

Let me tell you from a resident instead of a friend of a friend.......Yorktown is apporx 10 minutes from BSU. The area Yorktown covers is basically a small rural town of about 2,000 and a lot of farmfields! There is virtually no crime except for the occasional pranks youngster might pull like garbage cans knocked over, etc. In Muncie, it has the crime of a normal city of 100,000. Muncie is safe to be in all hours of th night as long as you don't go to the low end like in any mid-major city. Another great area is north of Muncie in the Delta School area. Very nice area and similar setting to Yorktown. About 15 minutes from BSU.

You could take a bus to Muncie. That is probably the best way. The bad thing coming from a big city is you will find you must have a car or you will walk a lot. The city bus system only covers Muncie city area and 78% of those riders don't own cars.....most not because they don't want to, it is becasue they can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 108,302 times
Default Crime???

in yorktown...ahhhh yeah..right...couple o' speeders once in awhile and some kids talking loud outside at night. it is small town ville..no worries regarding crime if you are into the small town thing go for it but as indicated good luck with the public transport thing..have you actually been there, sounds like "no"

Old 10-15-2006, 11:56 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Default wouldn't recommend Muncie either..

I drove through the town in the early 2000s(2001/2002?), and it was a real culture shock to me driving through the downtown. Tons of boarded up buildings, and many blocks where buildings were non-existant and were open lots(I could definately tell the town was economically depressed). I don't even remember anymore why we did drive downtown, but I think maybe me and my mom and brother were trying to find our way out of town and got lost, after visiting Ball State University. Have no idea obviously if anything's changed in the 4-5 years since I went through there, as that was the one and only time I've been to Muncie.

however, the parts of town near Ball State aren't too bad. never have been through Yorktown, so i can't give you any advice about that town.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,324 times
Yorktown's great. Very high quality schools... suburban level of amenities with a small town feel. Out of all the Delaware County communities, I would say it has the best reputation and is the most suburban.

Muncie's campus areas and apartment complexes between I-69 and campus along McGalliard Road are safe and friendly and probably a little loud on weekends (campus parties.) Muncie is a good place to live especially if you want to be involved with the university in any way (which may mean taking classes or simply enjoying its cultural facilities.) Check out Ball State University - Home - they are constantly renovating and adding amenities and programs to the campus.

Nightlife in Muncie either is aimed for collegians or alumni, also with a small downtown area supposedly revitalizing.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 15,418 times
I have lived in Yorktown since 1964. They have great school systems, a huge park with excercise trails, and excercise equipment and are currently building a fantastic sports complex, unlike any in the area. It will have baseball diamonds, softball diamonds, soccer fields, and a skatepark. Please watch our video on youtube and check out our homepage under Yorktown, Indiana. The crime rate is very, very, low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana