Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM

65 posts, read 169,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why this sudden search for conservative this conservative that on forum?
Are a lot of people afraid of something? Is conservative code for white or Christian?
Like the word "values" - this is beginning to give me the creeps!

so don't waste my or your time by writing useless post. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM

11 posts, read 38,519 times
Well it's according to how "red" you would like to go. Want to go all the way? Try Martinsville.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Walkerton seems to fit the bill.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
So does Bremen ... oh mah G ... Bremen is conservative de tutti conservative.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:07 PM

389 posts, read 586,791 times
I'm curious... Is the Southern and more rural part of the state more Conservative while the North and big towns and cities like Gary more left-leaning?

Has Indiana always been like this?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 PM

26,427 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I'm curious... Is the Southern and more rural part of the state more Conservative while the North and big towns and cities like Gary more left-leaning?

Southern Indiana (closer to Louisville) is more fiscally conservative and socially moderate. The more rural areas are much more socially conservative.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post

Not just Indiana. You'll find that in many parts of the U.S.. Large cities (e.g. NYC) will be "progressive" or "liberal" while their rural counterparts in the same state (Upstate NY anyone?) will be much more "conservative".

My crackpot theory ( I was an art major, not poly-sci ) is that people who live "out in the sticks" tend to think of themselves as self-sufficient. In other words they don't "need" the government.

People who are attracted to cities are, by their very nature, somewhat communal/community minded. They see daily the benefits of their tax dollars (sidewalks, libraries, police) and may be more inclined the vote for a liberal ticket.

That's my theory anyway. If we have any ~real~ poly-sci peeps on the board, I'd love to get the inside scoop.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM

how about lafeyette? is that a more dominate right wing city? i want to make it clear that I'm not planning on living in the city. A small town nearby is my taste. I just need a city unfotunatly for job opportunities, otherwise I'd be slap dab in nebraska or montana.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:11 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue321 View Post
how about lafeyette? is that a more dominate right wing city? i want to make it clear that I'm not planning on living in the city. A small town nearby is my taste. I just need a city unfotunatly for job opportunities, otherwise I'd be slap dab in nebraska or montana.
Purdue is in West Lafayette. A lot of scientists and engineers there.

I don't think you are going to find what you want in Indiana. Most cities by your definition in the midwest and northeast are more liberal. There are some with conservative pockets, but they are few and far between. Texas, Louisiana, Phoenix, or Utah are honestly your best bet.

Also, I find it funny that you need to slap an insult to both Nebraska and Montana at the end there... Omaha, Lincoln, Billings, and Missoula are four great cities.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Purdue is in West Lafayette. A lot of scientists and engineers there.

I don't think you are going to find what you want in Indiana. Most cities by your definition in the midwest and northeast are more liberal. There are some with conservative pockets, but they are few and far between. Texas, Louisiana, Phoenix, or Utah are honestly your best bet.

Also, I find it funny that you need to slap an insult to both Nebraska and Montana at the end there... Omaha, Lincoln, Billings, and Missoula are four great cities.

i'm originally from nebraska.. i love nebraska.. and i go hunting in montana frequently, another great state.. what did i say that was so insulting? i was simply implying i love wide open spaces. but thank you for the information about lafayette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana