Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 12,659 times

Advertisements

hi im new to south bend, ind. and my kids have to be enrolled in brown intermediate and coquillard schools are this good schools? ive been hearing these are where the "bad" kids go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,200 times
why did you move to SB? Not sure about the schools anymore, good luck to you!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:17 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,860 times
I wouldn't consider them bad, but your typical average urban neighborhood school. South Bend Community Schools doesn't necessarily have the best reputation, but it is a city school so with that comes consequences. If you are concerned with your children's education, I would consider going private or Penn-Harris-Madison schools.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Default reply

thank you...moved here because of my husband job...just used to a smaller comminuty, like one that has 3 elementary, not 20+..

Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 AM

so i got application for penn harris madison, look like good schools, ( hope its not to late) just curious as why alot of SB schools have a uniform policy? they seem to be more focused on that, then keeping up with schools and disiplinary actions, -new here- so not sure, just my opinion.....

Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 PM

It shouldn't be too late. Uniform policies are usually enforced in city schools because of the problem with violence and students bringing stuff into the schools. Also, it provides the students, where poverty is more prevalent, with students who all look somewhat the same rather than having the rich students, poor, etc.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Welcome to the area. I also moved here for my husband's job. We had little time to mull things over and I tried to do as much research as possible (about a weeks worth, day and night). Penn has the best public schools in the area. We rented in Mishawaka for a year and then moved to Granger. Mishawaka was okay but better than South Bend.

Penn started the open enrollment this year (for those that live out of the Penn district). I believe there is a 1,000 tuition fee and there is a stipulation that the child has to have decent grades. I imagine the competition might be fierce to get in. Not sure. They started it because of a drop in enrollment. I have been very happy thus far dealing with the schools. My child starts high school this year and I am hoping things go well. The high school is huge. It looks like a community college campus. I am not fond of that at all but it is what it is.

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Yes, Penn High School is one of the largest schools in the state with enrollment near 3,500 students. It serves all of Granger, Osceola, sections of Mishawaka, and sections of South Bend. Not too mention, the entire rural area to the north and south of Mishawaka. and all of eastern St. Joseph County. The need for another high school has been talked about, but nothing coming to frution because of the recent drop in enrollment.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Yes, Penn High School is one of the largest schools in the state with enrollment near 3,500 students. It serves all of Granger, Osceola, sections of Mishawaka, and sections of South Bend. Not too mention, the entire rural area to the north and south of Mishawaka. and all of eastern St. Joseph County. The need for another high school has been talked about, but nothing coming to frution because of the recent drop in enrollment.
I'm pretty positive South Bend is not part of the Penn district. I know when we were looking at houses, we only looked within Penn and that put us in everything but South Bend. Even parts of Granger fall into the Clay district or Elkhart.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Yes it gets really confusing around the northern part of the county. However, the extreme southeast part of South Bend, near the bypass, is actually considered to be part of the district. However, I should note that this is not in the city proper, just a mailing address that says South Bend. I am referring to the neighborhoods, somewhat suburban, south of the bypass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana