Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 05:00 AM

4 posts, read 11,274 times

Advertisements

That also happened 17 years ago. I can count on one hand how many serious crimes have happened in Lakeville in the past 24 years ive been alive.

A serious crime in Lakeville happens very infrequently. As mentioned, I lived in Plymouth, but spent alot of time in Lakeville. Leaving car doors, house, etc open, wasn't that big of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,368 times
I grew up about 1/2 mile up the street from St Joe Med center and still live in that area. We have had no problems where we live. There is an ER doctor that lives around the corner from me and there is a resident that lives about a block down the street. There was another resident that lived around the corner but he got a job and moved away.
The South Bend schools are not great. There is a catholic grade school (St Joe) about 2 blocks from the Med Center.
I would suggest looking in the Wayne St area or the east LaSalle/Colfax/Washington St areas for housing. These are older neighborhoods with some very nice houses and are far more reasonably priced that Granger.
I would bet the Med Center probably has someone that could give you more info about the area.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,368 times
FYI.... St Joe Med Center is not right next to Notre Dame. They are about a mile apart. Game day traffic isn't that big of a deal. Most people come and go on the toll road which is north of town or on US31.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:17 AM

24 posts, read 282,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
My family and I will be relocating to from AZ to South Bend, IN for my husband's residency. Can anyone help with which areas are more desirable to live in than others. By the time we move, our three kids will be ages 12, 8, and 6 so schools are a definite consideration.

My husband wants to live as close as possible to the hospital he'll be working at, but I'm leery of moving into an area only because of it's proximity to his work.

Is there anyone out there familiar with South Bend?
You might want to check with the residency about housing. They might even have a specific realtor that works with their residents.

Isn't the Match held in March? How does your husband know for sure that he'll be in South Bend (I think both St. Joes & Memorial have residency programs)?

Last edited by FutureDomer; 10-26-2006 at 10:27 AM..

Old 12-01-2006, 02:04 PM

550 posts, read 3,267,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDomer View Post
You might want to check with the residency about housing. They might even have a specific realtor that works with their residents.

Isn't the Match held in March? How does your husband know for sure that he'll be in South Bend (I think both St. Joes & Memorial have residency programs)?
Yep, the match isn't until springtime. But you can contract with schools outside of the match.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
diggitydot
all the folks I knew in South Bend are now out in AZ. There should be a wide selection of nice homes available.

We're actually not from AZ, just living here while my husband attends medical school. We're used to nasty weather back home so I think we'll be fine in IN even though we've kind of become temperature weenies while we've been here. Well, I'm hoping we'll be fine. Eh, you adjust. The first year we were in AZ I thought I was going to die when it hit 118 in July.

Thanks for all of the great info, everyone! I'll be checking out several of the areas you've all mentioned.

Yeah, the hospitals are pretty good about getting information to people, but I'm a little anal-retentive and am beginning the search much earlier than is most likely necessary. I'd rather be prepared than surprised.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29pepper View Post
I grew up in South Bend and thought it was a nice town. I lived just south of Granger (around Ironwood and Cleveland Roads); it was a decent area. It's been a few years since I've lived there. I attended the Clay schools (not sure how good/bad they are today). Penn was getting really big, but hear that it is a good school. If I remember, I think that was on the Eastern side of town. Being from AZ, you might be in for a shock - lots of snow in the winter!
Oops, quoted the wrong post earlier. This is the one I meant to quote. Sheesh. That'll teach me to type so stinkin' fast.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 PM

24 posts, read 282,002 times
Quote:
Yep, the match isn't until springtime. But you can contract with schools outside of the match.
Is your husband a DO or MD? Do you know which residency program (Memorial or St Joe) he'll be at?

Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 17,006 times
I used to live right smac dab in the middle of Mishawaka. I worked at St Joe Med. SB. It was about a 10 min drive. 15 to Memorial Hosp. I loved it up there. Mishawaka has great shopping. I wouldn't recomend living in SB. One block is nice the next is scummy. Especially South Michigan St. Granger is more upity. Very nice homes but also expensive. Notre Dame traffic is HORRID on game day, but the area is pretty dead durring the game. Just don't try to go out after the games.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,806 times
Go for Granger. You will like it for sure and distance wise it won't matter much.

Quote:

We're actually not from AZ, just living here while my husband attends medical school. We're used to nasty weather back home so I think we'll be fine in IN even though we've kind of become temperature weenies while we've been here. Well, I'm hoping we'll be fine. Eh, you adjust. The first year we were in AZ I thought I was going to die when it hit 118 in July.

Thanks for all of the great info, everyone! I'll be checking out several of the areas you've all mentioned.

Yeah, the hospitals are pretty good about getting information to people, but I'm a little anal-retentive and am beginning the search much earlier than is most likely necessary. I'd rather be prepared than surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana