Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM

16 posts, read 42,152 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Our family is considering a move to Bloomington. In researching Bloomington, I noticed that the number of burglaries in Bloomington is very high, and the number of thefts is also very high. Does anyone know why they are so high, and continue to rise every year? Is Bloomington a safe city?

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,519,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemove123 View Post
Hi,
Our family is considering a move to Bloomington. In researching Bloomington, I noticed that the number of burglaries in Bloomington is very high, and the number of thefts is also very high. Does anyone know why they are so high, and continue to rise every year? Is Bloomington a safe city?

Thank You!
Bloomington is a safe city however you have to keep in mind IU is in the city so you have *College Students*
I would recommend not having anything valuable on display and the farther away you are from the University the better you are.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 PM

8,985 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Bloomington is a safe city however you have to keep in mind IU is in the city so you have *College Students*
I would recommend not having anything valuable on display and the farther away you are from the University the better you are.
You mean like the southside of Bloomington where this happened:

Bloomington pizza man shooting: Bloomington police investigate shooting of pizza delivery man - fox59.com (http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-bloomington-police-investigate-alleged-delivery-driver-shooting-20111103,0,485704.column - broken link)

Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the replies, but I'm not sure that I can blame the high crime rate on the University students. If you compare Bloomington crime rates with Iowa City, Iowa ( https://www.city-data.com/city/Iowa-City-Iowa.html ), a very similar university town, the crime rate is considerably lower in Iowa City. Has there been a large number of people moving to Bloomington from Indianapolis or Louisville? Is there a lot of gang activity in Bloomington?
Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,415,731 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but I'm not sure that I can blame the high crime rate on the University students. If you compare Bloomington crime rates with Iowa City, Iowa ( https://www.city-data.com/city/Iowa-City-Iowa.html ), a very similar university town, the crime rate is considerably lower in Iowa City. Has there been a large number of people moving to Bloomington from Indianapolis or Louisville? Is there a lot of gang activity in Bloomington?
Thanks again!
And you could compare Bloomington to other "college towns" like Columbia, MO and Lafayette, who both have higher rates of violent crime, or you could compare B-town to Ann Arbor, which has a lower rate of violent crime.

It's all relative, and the crime rates in all of the examples are actually quite good for 50K to 150K cities containing the degree of economic diversity that they do.

There are gangs in Bloomington. but I wouldn't say there is a lot of gang activity. I think it's important to remember that while Bloomington isn't considered to be an industrial/manufacturing hub today, it does have some manufacturing roots and jobs have been lost in the last 20 years. It's not the rust belt, but there is some poverty. A lot of the crime you see is relatively petty theft by breaking into vehicles or stealing things from people's lawns. College towns in general will see more simple assaults and drug offenses as well.

Bloomington is still a very safe city, though. If you have worries about B-Town, then you will probably have worries about 90% of all 50K plus cities.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,363,220 times
The students do provide opportunities for low-life scum. The thieves know students leave for breaks, know which apartment complexes are likely to be empty during these breaks, and thus know which ones to hit.

One needs to be smart. Lock your doors and windows. Keep your car locked and don't keep valuables in plain sight in your car. I can't tell you the number of times I read about someone having valuables stolen from a car. What are people thinking?

There is not a place in Bloomington that I would be afraid to be in at night with the right amount of caution. I can't say that for many places.

I've been told by a former federal law enforcement official that worked in Bloomington that Bloomington does not really have gang activity on it's own. That is not to say there are not gang members in B-ton, but they are minimal, and I have never seen gang tags among the graffiti I do see. People from northern towns will make there way here and stay awhile because there is a market for their goods (read drugs). The police keep a close eye on it.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,071 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thank You!
Not enough jobs. The unemployment rate is actually fairly low, but if you factor in students, and the high number of people who have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet here, then it makes it awfully tough for someone looking for work in this town. Even the local Work One office told me that if I am single and don't have any commitments here that I should look elsewhere for employment.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 21,932 times
I have lived in Bloomington for going on 2 years, and I consider it to be a pretty safe city. Of course with IU taking up the main part of the middle of the city there is two distinct areas of town. West Side and East side. The west side is more industrial, and the east side is where the mall is and a lot of the nicer places. South of the mall area on the East side is a really nice area, a area where I would feel safe walking around at night.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana