Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,873,576 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are coming for a visit next week. Can't wait!! I was wondering if anyone can give me some idea of what you pay for car insurance, electricity, cable, water, property tax etc. I'm curious about the cost of living. Do you think groceries are overpriced or a good buy, if you've come from someplace else. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Any Bloomington folks out there??

Old 06-02-2008, 06:45 PM

119 posts, read 384,496 times
I was born and raised in Bloomington. I moved a year ago...so I can't speak to the current prices. Gas there seems overpriced because it is a college town. However, I think groceries are pretty standard. In fact, milk is cheaper up there now then it is down here in TN where I live now.... Property taxes were pretty average. Utilities.....seems to me they were also pretty average. I know that probably isn't much help. LOL I think you can find all different ranges though...one thing I miss about where we live now is the lack of places like Aldi's, bread stores, etc for discount items....which were great there in Bloomington.

Anyway....good luck....Bloomington was all I knew for 36 years and it'll always be a place I hold dear.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 AM

thanks for your reply.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM

25 posts, read 65,420 times
Cool This may be a little late... sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Hi there,

We are coming for a visit next week. Can't wait!! I was wondering if anyone can give me some idea of what you pay for car insurance, electricity, cable, water, property tax etc. I'm curious about the cost of living. Do you think groceries are overpriced or a good buy, if you've come from someplace else. Thanks.

Bloomington's a nice town, but you have to be patient with us -- we're not like other cities. People here love food, the arts and kindness, so we're civil and relatively easy to win over. However, Bloomington can have its days when the weather sucks, the public transit can be inconvenient as buses don't run on Sundays and please forgive the moodiness. This quaint town, nestled in the rolling hills of south central Indiana, is safe though somewhat sissified -- hope that's OK with you, no big city thrills here. Sorry! If you can tolerate the minor quirks, you should have no problems.

That out of the way, here's some history. It took three years for Bloomington to grow on me. Being from a big city, I had to struggle with my restlessness and settle down in a small town. I even left B-town a few times to move to Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne, back to Indy, and Springfield, MO. But I always came back to B-town. And I'm glad I came back. I like my soft-touch town -- no one sleeps on the streets or in the alleys and every one has access to community kitchens all over town so no one goes hungry. No gangs, no drive-by's, no riots.

Even though Bloomington is famous for IU and being a Big Ten town, it's a good place to raise a family away from the crime and noise of the big city. We value education here, obviously. Anyway, enough of my advertizing.

Electricity can be expensive here in the winter. I pay $50/month to Duke Energy to heat a small efficiency. I pay $11.37/month to Comcast for basic cable. Water is usually free, unless you own a home. Even then it's not outrageously overpriced. Most people here do the Geico, Safe Auto, Allstate thing. An Indiana driver's license costs $10 and is good for 6 years. Indiana annual state tax is 3.4% -- not bad. Bloomington sales tax is 7% on the dollar. Property and taxes can be high for the Midwest, but not nearly as high as the east coast. Groceries are kind of high at Kroger and Marsh unless you have coupons or a plus card you can get by filling out a form -- any one can get a card. We have an Aldi, 3 Marsh's, 4 Kroger's, 2 K-mart's, a Super Wal-mart, a Sams, and a Target. So, you have some variety. Everything is really close, too. No pains of getting on and off a network of congested highways spanning across a huge metropolis to buy diapers and a case of pop aound here! Ah, the joys of small town life.

Have a blast in Bloomington!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:50 AM

19 posts, read 58,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooningBlom View Post
Bloomington's a nice town, but you have to be patient with us -- we're not like other cities. People here love food, the arts and kindness, so we're civil and relatively easy to win over. However, Bloomington can have its days when the weather sucks, the public transit can be inconvenient as buses don't run on Sundays and please forgive the moodiness. This quaint town, nestled in the rolling hills of south central Indiana, is safe though somewhat sissified -- hope that's OK with you, no big city thrills here. Sorry! If you can tolerate the minor quirks, you should have no problems.

That out of the way, here's some history. It took three years for Bloomington to grow on me. Being from a big city, I had to struggle with my restlessness and settle down in a small town. I even left B-town a few times to move to Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne, back to Indy, and Springfield, MO. But I always came back to B-town. And I'm glad I came back. I like my soft-touch town -- no one sleeps on the streets or in the alleys and every one has access to community kitchens all over town so no one goes hungry. No gangs, no drive-by's, no riots.

Even though Bloomington is famous for IU and being a Big Ten town, it's a good place to raise a family away from the crime and noise of the big city. We value education here, obviously. Anyway, enough of my advertizing.

Electricity can be expensive here in the winter. I pay $50/month to Duke Energy to heat a small efficiency. I pay $11.37/month to Comcast for basic cable. Water is usually free, unless you own a home. Even then it's not outrageously overpriced. Most people here do the Geico, Safe Auto, Allstate thing. An Indiana driver's license costs $10 and is good for 6 years. Indiana annual state tax is 3.4% -- not bad. Bloomington sales tax is 7% on the dollar. Property and taxes can be high for the Midwest, but not nearly as high as the east coast. Groceries are kind of high at Kroger and Marsh unless you have coupons or a plus card you can get by filling out a form -- any one can get a card. We have an Aldi, 3 Marsh's, 4 Kroger's, 2 K-mart's, a Super Wal-mart, a Sams, and a Target. So, you have some variety. Everything is really close, too. No pains of getting on and off a network of congested highways spanning across a huge metropolis to buy diapers and a case of pop aound here! Ah, the joys of small town life.

Have a blast in Bloomington!
Well That pretty much says it. I don't think there's much that I could add to that comment. ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana