Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 15,902 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some help! My wife, 20mo daughter, and I may be moving to the NW Indy area and are unsure where to look. I the two options due to the job are Valpo area or South Bend area. We are both 30 and like a variety of things (dining, exercise, community events) and the ability to have a lot of choices of activities and events. I know that Chicago is closer to Valpo, and would offer an endless supply of choices, but as far as family, crime, enjoyment, schools, cost of living, etc can anyone help with some insight? What areas/cities/counties are the best? What is the area like, etc?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by milljs; 08-31-2007 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
First, Indy is short for Indianapolis, just so you know. Northwest Indiana can be shortened to NWI or the region (big debate on that moniker a few threads ago!).

I grew up in Bremen, near South Bend and lived for a couple years in Valpo. Valpo and Granger (a burb of SB). Both are college towns, sort of. I liked Valpo very much. It's very close to Chicago, but the commuter train runs to South Bend too (that's the beginning of the line). Valpo and South Bend are close to a great outlet mall in Michigan City, both have great access to Lake Michigan. Valpo is closer to Chicago. Real estate may be a tad cheaper in SB because Valpo and Porter County are becoming Chicago suburbs, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I don't know, I'd take 'em both for a test drive before committing to one or the other. Personally, I would love to move back to Valpo because I like being closer to Chicago than South Bend.

You can check out their community websites and parks and rec websites too.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,735 times
I live right in between Valparaiso and South Bend and I would never live in South Bend, there is way too much crime. Whenever we go shopping in Mishawaka we have to drive through South Bend and we try not to do it at night. I would definitely live in Valpo, it has nice homes and is close to Merrillville which has great shopping. Plus you're not far from Chicago.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 60,523 times
My husband has done plenty of work in South Bend and he says pick VALPO for sure. We lived in Griffith Indiana which is very close to Valpo, we both were raised there from birth until about a year ago until we moved to Texas, but his parents live in Chesterton currently which is very close to Valpo, so we are very familiar with the area. In Valpo you'll have lots of things to do; PLENTY of shopping and different malls near (Southlake and Michigan city) you have Chicago night life, the lake, and also the Indiana Dunes are right there so Plenty of beaches, plus I just saw and you can look this up to double check me; that Valpo University (which has always had a great rep) is now considered the 3rd best University in the state of Indiana acedemically.

Good luck on your move...

Old 09-16-2007, 08:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Valpo is an excellent family friendly town along with Valparaiso University. I know some friends who live in the area and they really like it a lot. It is a nice blend of small town values, but not too far removed from bigger city conveniences. In Porter County you have city areas, suburban areas, rural areas, and great areas near the lakeshore.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 13,174 times
Valpo. I live there now and enjoy living in farm country. There are no neighbors where we live and we feel safer here.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanine Alexander View Post
My husband has done plenty of work in South Bend and he says pick VALPO for sure. We lived in Griffith Indiana which is very close to Valpo, we both were raised there from birth until about a year ago until we moved to Texas, but his parents live in Chesterton currently which is very close to Valpo, so we are very familiar with the area. In Valpo you'll have lots of things to do; PLENTY of shopping and different malls near (Southlake and Michigan city) you have Chicago night life, the lake, and also the Indiana Dunes are right there so Plenty of beaches, plus I just saw and you can look this up to double check me; that Valpo University (which has always had a great rep) is now considered the 3rd best University in the state of Indiana acedemically.

Good luck on your move...
When my DD went to Valpo, she shopped in Merrillville. Unless I really missed it, there's not much shopping there, especially for clothes. Target and WalMart. I did think Valpo was a nice town and a nice university. Unfortunately DD didn't like it and transferred.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
When my DD went to Valpo, she shopped in Merrillville. Unless I really missed it, there's not much shopping there, especially for clothes. Target and WalMart. I did think Valpo was a nice town and a nice university. Unfortunately DD didn't like it and transferred.
That is interesting. I attended Valparaiso University and transferred as well. They cut back on one of their departments after I was going to change my major. That really did not leave me with a good feeling.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
That is interesting. I attended Valparaiso University and transferred as well. They cut back on one of their departments after I was going to change my major. That really did not leave me with a good feeling.
I think she missed Colorado, and maybe, just maybe, her family.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 15,902 times
Default How about Portage? What do you know?

Does anyone know anything about portage? I know a lot of the cities are very close up there, but is portage good? bad? safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana