Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM

14 posts, read 41,033 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tacoma, WA where they had a similar problem with smell but I liked that little city and never let it bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 29,355 times
G'Day All,
I have been in Terre Haute,Ind. for one month now. I am greatly surprise by what I have seen. I looked into this town for over several months before committing to my move out of central Illinois. I researched 5 other cities in Ind. for two years now. Some I have lived in before and some that seemed interesting. I was born in Plymouth and lived several good years in Evansville. I went back to Illinois for personal reasons. Last year the last of the reasons to stay ended. I have never like the town I was in or the people. A lot of rich losers and snobs. The State is unbelievable. It's become a nest of social Nazis. New rules, fines, taxes. It full of snitches so watch out if you go and what you do there. "May it rot in the messes they have made over the years."
Some of you know me as Tom Goad at Facebook, but since this blog will be posted to several web sites( and to a few individuals), I will reveal my true self. Some know my true self. My real name is Karl E. F. and I'm posting a near recent photo of me with this note. Like many of us here we don't use are real names at FB. In that case I thought it would be fine to let others to get to know me. They will see me around T H a lot anyway. I have some good people in my list of "friends " and I think they'll be fine with this.
Now, about T H. First off . It does not stink or smell. Maybe years ago, but the air is just fine...as is the water from the Tap is just fine. Also, it is not run over by Druggies, Prostitutes, or Crime. I got Crimespot.com for over 5 months and there was nothing..maybe some minor offense...nothing BIG. I have been out quite a lot around town and had no problems. Yes, I am sure there are these problems here, but it's not out of control. The Police do a good job keeping things in check. They are friendly and helpful, but strict. Some friendly advise, don't mess around with them. After all this is Indiana. If you drink..and are drunk...don't drive. If you like illegal drugs, do them at home or at a friend's place. Otherwise it's a lovely city. The people I have met and have worked have been fair and honest. Also, they are not rude or mean here. I they are open and helpful. Such a relief from the other town I spent time in. It's mostly a working class town that has lost a lot of businesses. Which is fine with me, I have worked ( with my hands ) all my life. So good paying jobs here are rare. So stay in school or go to a trade. You'll be a lot happier.
And for the houses here, it unbelievable. Bargains abound, if you know how to fix things. If not there are several good contractors around. There are two good store in town....Menards to the north and Lowes to the south. I got a great deal on a three bedroom house and yard. The area is low income, but I'm use to that. The Neighbors I have meet have kind and welcoming. I used Newlin Johnson Realtors . My agent was Robert Irwin and I had great success with them. For financing I used Quicken Loans. I work with Ben Lockwood mostly and he did an excellent job. His Boss : Gay Wallace. You would be surprise what they will approve and at a good rate. Houses down to 20, 000. In T H , there's a buyers market for decent places under 30, 000.
I know this city has a past...know as..Sin City..., but who over 30 doesn't have baggage. The town has everything you need. Good local Restaurants, Pubs, Malls ( there are several of them ), an Airport, Prison, University ( rated highly ), some Night spots for music and friend s to meet. The city puts on events and parades. It's not upper style, but it great. I said before coming that this would be a great Bedroom community for people tired of living in Indy. It's only an hour away. For work or for a weekend get away. There good Bus service going east or west ( I 70) and I 74 is just north of T H by 40 minutes. Also , I would like to mention that Evansville is only an afternoon drive down US 41 to the south, it to is a great place to visit. The small town are awesome. It's like a time warp. Well worth a visit. Brazil to the east ( about 20 miles) puts on an excellent Christmas Parade. Many drive to see it.
The area is severed by two highly rated Hospitals. Union in the north and Regional . There lots of Clinic- some of them free for Health & Dentistry. There are lot of small Trade schools here too.
Well, I guess I said enough for this report. I do invite people to write to from T H. My page at F B is rated PG13. Lots of Art and other posting for adult. So be warn before you check it out. Art is a favorite hobby of my and I have been out for far too long. My closing words are: It's a God send the I decided to move here.
Peace.
Tom / Karl

Old 03-25-2014, 07:31 PM

893 posts, read 886,268 times
We once lived in TH and miss it. Nice area. Always seemed the weather was a bit milder than the surrounding area for some reason. Think it has to do with the valley and the lake effect??

Anywhooo. Still have some friends there and we enjoyed our time there. Perfect size in that you can get just about everything you need but it's small enough that you don't feel overwhelmed. Great midwestern town.

Glad to hear the paper mill has shut down. That did detract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana