Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,635 times

Advertisements

I doubt if it's there any more, but as a kid in South Bend, there used to be a sandwich shop, drive in called Toastys, on Michigan St. Every time we went there my mom always had the tenderloin sandwich. She always said they were the best.
But that was a long time ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I lived in Iowa two years ago and had my first experience with the tenderloin sandwich. I'm from the South, and tenderloin is the unbreaded cut that is placed on a biscuit - never a sandwich. Tenderloin sandwiches here are essentially a thin, breaded, fried, boneless "pork chop" that goes especially well with onions and ketchup only.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:09 PM

74,155 posts, read 1,836,473 times
They put garvey on it. It's not bad.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:04 AM

53 posts, read 108,607 times
Default The best tenderloin!

For the 2nd year in a row.....600 miles from home!
My wife and I attended the car Cruze nite in Fairmont,In. again this past Sept.
We had to return to a little bar downtown for the best Pork Tenderloin we've ever eaten anywhere.
At the bar named the "GIANT" even though it's a tiny place.
The movie Giant with James Dean is the reason they chose the name.
The Tenderloin they serve is Giant
Our main reason to visit the area is the 2 big car shows in Gas City and Fairmount held late every Sept.
for our sixth time since 1990.
We do hope to move to that general area next year,
looking at Roanoke and Decatur? Any opinions welcome.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganPackers View Post
I was not at all familiar with either pork tenderloin sandwiches or sugar cream pies until moving down to Bloomington for school, though I am from Fort Wayne.
Odd, as a teenager in Northeast Indiana I actually preferred a "tenderloin"... nobody called it anything else... over a hamburger, especially at the lake cottage during summer. I still remember the "Happy Days" type burger place I went to in Ft.Wayne that had great tenderloins. Except it was different from the tv show because the place was a real dump and the greasers were authentic thugs who smoked a lot. But the french fries were thick and meaty and crisp on the outside but not tough, and you can't find those many places now either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I lived in Iowa two years ago and had my first experience with the tenderloin sandwich. I'm from the South, and tenderloin is the unbreaded cut that is placed on a biscuit - never a sandwich. Tenderloin sandwiches here are essentially a thin, breaded, fried, boneless "pork chop" that goes especially well with onions and ketchup only.
I dunno, I always ordered my tenderloins "deluxe," which in the parlance of the day meant on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise. I left the state for good after a couple of years of college, and I no longer have any ties to Ft. Wayne, but every once in a while on my wide travels I found places in odd corners of the country that do a good tenderloin sandwich, and I always ordered it deluxe, and they always smiled and nodded approvingly, since I was obviously "in the know".

Last good one I can remember getting was in Fredericksburg Texas maybe 6 years ago, before I left Texas, just some little local place at the other end of town from all the tourist hoopla that a local recommended. It had a pig shaped sign, and some kind of piggy name, and the guy smiled when I ordered a tenderloin deluxe and it was perfect. As I was expressing my appreciation I found out he was originally from Northeast Indiana himself, so he "spoke the language.".

Old 05-30-2015, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
I grew up in Greenfield Indiana and know first hand that Wet Tenderloins were created there. A food stand called Whities located just west of Riley Park on highway 40 was the source. These were without rival the best sandwiches I have ever eaten.
They were huge. After riding my bike to the park I spent hours watching thousands of them being made thru the glass.
Begin with a pork tenderloin pounded thin. Seven plus inches in diameter. Next the terderloins were dipped in egg wash and then fine seasoned flour. Fried in hot oil the tenderloins rested for about 3 minutes and then they were dipped in brown gravy and placed in a toasted bun which was at least 6" in diameter. Immediately wrapped in waxed paper and served thru the delivery window.
Whities later became Jim Dandy's and the Wet Tenderloins changed. Eventually the Tenderloin stand was closed and Jim Dandys moved to North Highway 9.
Those sandwiches were each hand made, never frozen, never prepared ahead and Whitie himself made them. He was the secret- his passion for a sandwich crafted to perfection as a true labor of love.
Lee Kroencke

Old 05-30-2015, 07:08 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekro View Post
I grew up in Greenfield Indiana and know first hand that Wet Tenderloins were created there. A food stand called Whities located just west of Riley Park on highway 40 was the source. These were without rival the best sandwiches I have ever eaten.
They were huge. After riding my bike to the park I spent hours watching thousands of them being made thru the glass.
Begin with a pork tenderloin pounded thin. Seven plus inches in diameter. Next the terderloins were dipped in egg wash and then fine seasoned flour. Fried in hot oil the tenderloins rested for about 3 minutes and then they were dipped in brown gravy and placed in a toasted bun which was at least 6" in diameter. Immediately wrapped in waxed paper and served thru the delivery window.
Whities later became Jim Dandy's and the Wet Tenderloins changed. Eventually the Tenderloin stand was closed and Jim Dandys moved to North Highway 9.
Those sandwiches were each hand made, never frozen, never prepared ahead and Whitie himself made them. He was the secret- his passion for a sandwich crafted to perfection as a true labor of love.
Lee Kroencke
The brown gravy on them sounds excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana