Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 9,413 times

Advertisements

Here's an unbiased take of FW weather coming from someone who isn't just in love with the city. The summers can get really hot, but it tends to rain often which seems to shorten your "fun in the sun" drastically. In the winter from late Nov. to mid-March (usually) it snows. You're not dealing with 12 inches of snow, lol. But the most I've ever seen was about 4 inches in my 6 years of living here. And it doesn't snow constantly. Some days it snow non-stop, followed by a break, a slight meltdown (about 2-3 weeks), a few flakes here and there, and then it'll snow again. Right now its about 23 degrees F outside but its really late (2:30am) so the temperature has dropped alot. I came from Tennessee, and even I can stand the cold winter. It's not like some states where you really have to bundle up. I usually get by with some pants, tennis shoes, a regular shirt and a sweatshirt or coat over that. You're not going to need to layer up a lot, or wear gloves, earmitts, scarfs, hats, and all that jazz. But if you have a low tolerance for cold, I would really recommend you select a different destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 16,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicegirl View Post
I'm moving to NE Indiana from Rochester, NY. How Humid is Humid? I'm not concerned with the snow, since I'm used to 90+ inches/yr. Does Indiana get that much?
Northern Indiana gets way more snow than anywhere else in Indiana but I wouldn't think it would be anywhere close to 90 plus inches. I lived in the South Bend area for a few years and even in the worst snow we got up there I was still able to get my little sports car out. I am thinking the wost snowfall while I lived up there was somewhere around 12 inches. I was born and raised in Southern Indiana and now that I am back home it seems like we get maybe 12 inches all year.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:15 PM

15 posts, read 61,865 times
Indiana is very diverse in the amount of snow it receives. I have lived in southern Indiana where snow is kind of sparse in the winter. The winter temps hover around 30-40F with a couple of really cold days here and there (10-20F). Snow is kind of shock when it hits down here, and we are all ill-prepared when it does! (Hey, kids love the snow days, even if the snow is melted away by 1pm!).

I lived there 20 years and only saw 1 bad storm that I remember, which was just in 2004. There was 21 inches of snow overnight! But that by far is a rarity in this area!

Yesterday the high was 55F. Southern Indiana loves to change up her weather! But on the bright side, I always have so many clothes! Gotta be ready for the weather changes! At the end of Nov. it was 70F one day and 2 days later it was 14F!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:59 PM

155 posts, read 766,497 times
So, SusanArizona, what did you decide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
The wind there feels like it can cut your face, and I swore when I lived there that the sun went away for months in the winter, but the warmth of the people and the strong sense of community more than makes up for it.
I agree about the wind and those long gray winter days. They were always so depressing! Couldn't wait to leave FW after high school. I love going home, but only May through October. My blood has gotten too thin after living in the hot & humid south for so long.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,212 times
Default I'd stay in AZ

I grew up in northwestern indiana lived there most of my life and left the area when I was about 34. I have been living in the phoenix area for the last ten years and I'll take three or four hot months any day over bitterly cold winters and nearly every weekend in the summer which is always when you try to plan some fun it rains.
Don't forget, arizona averages 300 sunny days a year I'm not sure but I'd check the local stats. because it seemed to me it was more like 300 cloudy days in Indiana.
one more big thing for me is how muggy it is in the summer at least around lake michigan.
The plus side of the midwest is it is green and almost all of my family lives there and I'd like to think they are good people, it's more personal there you'll make friends easier because they still have front porches and lawns to mow.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM

8 posts, read 25,710 times
Default Not cold in Indy

It's been about 50 - 60 here for days. The forecast throughout
the weekend is 50's + ! This has been a very mild 'winter', so far.
I am a transplant and was never fond of the ice/snow that
I had to shovel off my driveway when I first got here four years ago.
The weather has definately been getting warmer every winter,
although I did not notice it being hotter last summer.
Sunshine and 50's. Strange but not at all unwelcome.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:40 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,294 times
Default weather in NE Indiana

Coming from NY myself to live in Fort Wayne - the weather in NE Indiana has been much more moderate/mild and I would say it is one of the best climates I've experienced in the US (not too hot, not too cold). Overall, we have more months of nice outdoors-tolerable weather (about 8-9) and on average in the winter we receive 27 inches of snow per year (I remember seeing that online somewhere about 2 years ago). I've been here several years now and I don't think I've ever seen that much though.

This winter appears to be an aberration for everyone weatherwise, it has been incredibly warm and nice - this weekend I brought my kids to a park to play it was so nice. That aside, it does appear that January and February are when we would normally get any snow anyway.

Regarding humidity in the Summer - since someone posted a reply about that - well my observations over the past 5 summers are different. We don't get really humid/uncomfortable weather in the summer all that often. We may have a few days of high temp (80s to low 90s) as anyone else in the US in July and August but humidity-wise and also rain-wise I would say we're probably below-US average for both of those. We may get hit with a lot of rain in a very short period of time (but then again who doesn't?), but we don't seem to get days of rain on end in general in NE Indiana.

Good luck with your decision to relocate :-)

Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,021 times
it's been so mild and warm up here in Indiana that I can almost grow oranges in my back yard.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dCEO View Post
It's been about 50 - 60 here for days. The forecast throughout
the weekend is 50's + ! This has been a very mild 'winter', so far.
It's called a moderate El Nino.

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2007 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 01-06-2007, 11:21 PM

38,875 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
It's called a moderate El Nino.
You mean it's not due to global warming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana