Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM

37 posts, read 170,858 times

Advertisements

My husband and I returned from our house buying trip and were successful! It was an exhausting trip but a good one. We got a nice home in the WL school district, which is what we were hoping for. The inspection is tomorrow and we close in mid June. We are really excited and thank you all for your helpful posts here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 PM

82 posts, read 486,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlute23 View Post
My husband and I returned from our house buying trip and were successful! It was an exhausting trip but a good one. We got a nice home in the WL school district, which is what we were hoping for. The inspection is tomorrow and we close in mid June. We are really excited and thank you all for your helpful posts here.
Congrats! Sounds like the trip we had. If you don't mind answering, what neighborhood did you decide on? The load taken off your shoulders after the inspection will be tremendous. Now, you get to decide on how to move everything. Are you moving yourself or hiring a company? We are going to be moving ourselves... but it is not a really big task since we are currently in a one-BR apartment.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks Hokieed! We decided on Amberleigh Village. We wanted newer construction in the WL school district. We got a great deal on the home and love its location. It is close to Purdue for my husband and will be great for me as a stay at home mom. There are so many great trails and the park right there. Purdue gave us a moving budget so we are having a company move us. We have done that in the past and with me pregnant will save us a lot of grief Good luck with your move! It's coming up soon isn't it?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM

82 posts, read 486,889 times
Phlute23: We are moving on Memorial Day weekend, which might be a mistake because of the Indianapolis 500, but we will plan our drive through the city to work around it. We really liked Amberleigh Village too. The trails are great and the neighborhood looked great for walking. You will be really close to the Farmers markets held during the week too. The neighborhood we selected was right on the paved trail that connects to Amberleigh village north off Morehouse, a definate plus. I drove all throughout Amberleigh Village and had one of the ranch houses on my list as one of the top two. It was really nice! And it IS the only new construction in the WL school district.

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming addition to your family. My sister is expecting in seven weeks, so I have a slight idea of what you are going through and I can't imagine tossing a move in among all the other preparations. You two sure know how to make life changes all at once!

What department is your husband going into? My Wife will be at the Veterinary school and I hope to make some connections in Purdue's Mechanical Engineering, Physics, and Art Departments. I've got big plans for Indiana!!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks Hokieed! Yes, we are doing all of the major life stressors all at once. The only one that we aren't doing is getting married. We tackled that 4 years ago

My husband will be in the schools of pharmacy and chemistry. I hear the veterinary school is top notch. That is great! Sounds like you'll make your mark on Indiana too. Do you plan to stick around after she is done with school? For us, we are very much looking forward to planting roots there. My husband has been in school so long and we have never really been able to settle anywhere. WL is closer to home for us (me in WI and my husband in IL) so we are looking forward to being within driving distance to family...also looking forward to a good thunderstorm! We don't have those in San Diego. I was expecting to leave the earthquakes behind however and I see that that may not happen in Indiana as I thought!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 61,773 times
Smile Lots of info on WL-Thanks!

Just found this thread in searching for info on West Lafayette. My husband is up there (in Fowler) now while I'm still in Orlando. He just started work with company building the "wind farms". We will be there thru December, maybe thru next year for the next phase.
Noticed all the talk was of buying a home, but we would want to rent a house. Keeping our home in Orlando. Like someone else mentioned, not really wanting an apartment. Been trying to search online for something in Fowler area. Or something between WL and Fowler. With the winter commute (and being from Orlando and no snow!)we really did not want to be too far from the project.
I'm going up there May 21-26 to look around and talk to everybody I see about rentals! Any info in this area would be helpful. Any north side area subdivision to look at? Thanks!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,773 times
Default also relocating to lafayette indiana

My husband and I are probably relocating to Lafayette, Indiana w/i the next 6 months. We have a 9 year old daughter. The school/neighborhood combination is our single greatest concern. I believe we will be living in Lafayette, not West Lafayette. Can anyone give me an opinion of Battle Ground Elementary/Wea Elementary/Klondike Elementary or any other better suggestions regarding more favorable elementary schools and neighborhoods with lots of children?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 31,445 times
i would recommend west lafayette which is just across the wabash. the schools are much better and west lafayette itself is a much safer area. lafayette has some nice areas but in general it's a blue collar city. you need to be careful about which area you choose in lafayette. as long as you live in the west lafayette school district there are no areas you need to avoid. also a big plus west lafayette is a smoke free city, has a great bus system [both lafayette and west lafayette] a nice recycle system, bike trails and there are plenty of things to do here. good luck

Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,656 times
Default Moving to Lafayette

I've just spent the last half hour reading all of your posts and I was wondering if any of you could help me out. My fiance and I are planning on moving to the Lafayette area and we had some questions about the area. Does anyone know anything about the Benjamin Crossing neighborhood in Lafayette? Also where is the crime better/worse? We would like to be close to shopping/activities, is Lafayette or West Lafayette the more suitable choice. Also anyone have the name a realtor who specializes in relocation? We are planning on going out there within the next couple of weeks to find a house and what not.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 31,445 times
yes i know about benjamin crossing, i have a friend that lives there. i believe the houses are well built however this subdivision was built right in the middle of the "loans to anyone boom" and loans were literally given to anyone who filled out an application so you now have many foreclosures out there. it's a huge subdivision which could possibly have some safety issues in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana