Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,522 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family and I are relocating from the East Coast to Granger this summer. I would appreciate any and all input on Granger, Schools, Colleges,

Are there any amusement parks close by? Things for teenagers to do?

I was born and raised in South Bend on Leer street, I moved from there in 85 and i know allot has changed since I was a kid in school. I do know that we are going to Granger, I was there for 2 weeks just got home last week and I am coming back in April to check out the schools with a fine comb, but If i could get any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
The Dunes and the Indiana National Lakeshore are close. Amusement parks? No ... there's Great America northe of Chicago and of course, Chicago is a trainride away. UP mall is still there ... there's a new waterpark over in Shipshewana.

ND, IUSB, Bethel College .. still there.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,963 times
Living on the East Coast you will probably do OK handling Granger traffic. The schools up there are the best in Town. IUSB is excellent for a public University and crime is not to bad in Granger. Property taxes are going to kill you up there. They are always about 20-30% higher than the Real Estate agent's estimate. The mall is close by and everything else is just a few miles away in Mishawaka. If you don't mind the huge (and snobby) crowds in Granger, it is the best place for you in the South Bend Metro these days. If you are trying to save some money and be arounf people that are a bit more humble give the South Side a try. There is a lot of Capital Investment going up. Especially around Miami and Ireland!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM

291 posts, read 948,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMortgage View Post
Hello, My family and I are relocating from the East Coast to Granger this summer. I would appreciate any and all input on Granger, Schools, Colleges,

Are there any amusement parks close by? Things for teenagers to do?

I was born and raised in South Bend on Leer street, I moved from there in 85 and i know allot has changed since I was a kid in school. I do know that we are going to Granger, I was there for 2 weeks just got home last week and I am coming back in April to check out the schools with a fine comb, but If i could get any advice I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time

Mary
Welcome back! I think the Granger schools are excellent. The only problem is the high school is overcrowded. It is super competitive to get into sports because of it being so crowded. Your child would have to be the best of the best to get on some of the teams. Academically it is a great school. And that is coming from a "Caveman". Since you are a native of South Bend, you understand how much of a compliment that is. If I were to move to Granger though, I would go closer to MI. It is getting pretty filled up and traffic is becoming a problem. Nothing like Chicago, but still lousy for this area. Have you considered south of Mishawaka. Still lots of room and still accessible to the north amenities. Also, the south side is being built up as well. It will more than likely be the new Granger in the future. Lots of possibilities. Good luck with the move!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:38 PM

311 posts, read 916,051 times
I think after the traffic of the NE, Granger, even at rush hour will be pretty sweet! I would also recommend just south of Granger, in the Penn/Harris school district area. I relocated several years ago from FL to Fort Wayne and then to NW Elkhart , just a mile from the St Joseph County line and am very familiar with the homes in this area. <mod cut advertising>

Last edited by domergurl; 08-20-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana