Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times

Advertisements

I want to move to indiana from a suburb in cincinnati. Was looking for something diverse,we are an african american family in our mid 20's, safe,and close to shopping, resturants etc. We were looking at places in the 46220,46038, and 46032 zip codes are these places safe,and friendly. Avalon Lake looks like a great apartment community does anyone know what it's like or where it is? any opinions about other areas are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 05:25 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
46038 is my town! I love living here. It's very friendly and safe safe safe. Schools are fabulous and it's very affordable. Great parks and lots of activities. It's close enough to everything Indianapolis has to offer. I can get anywhere in 30 minutes or less.

You would be very welcomed here.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:34 PM

30 posts, read 65,139 times
Default Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by b's mom View Post
I want to move to indiana from a suburb in cincinnati. Was looking for something diverse,we are an african american family in our mid 20's, safe,and close to shopping, resturants etc. We were looking at places in the 46220,46038, and 46032 zip codes are these places safe,and friendly. Avalon Lake looks like a great apartment community does anyone know what it's like or where it is? any opinions about other areas are greatly appreciated!
I'm from Chicago and greatly appreciate diversity which the zip codes you listed all lack. But I will tell you, the best one is 46032 (Carmel), very safe, great school, lots to do, has a great bike trail and you avoid the ne corridor of the city (hwy 69), very bad traffic in the morning and evening, carmel is more north of the city with much easier access to get on 465 which circles the city, like I said I would not consider any of the diverse but Carmel is al least progressive if that makes any sense, little more educated. If you start getting into nothern Fishers (46038) and into Noblesville (46060) it gets a little "funny".

Old 12-30-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump416 View Post
I'm from Chicago and greatly appreciate diversity which the zip codes you listed all lack. But I will tell you, the best one is 46032 (Carmel), very safe, great school, lots to do, has a great bike trail and you avoid the ne corridor of the city (hwy 69), very bad traffic in the morning and evening, carmel is more north of the city with much easier access to get on 465 which circles the city, like I said I would not consider any of the diverse but Carmel is al least progressive if that makes any sense, little more educated. If you start getting into nothern Fishers (46038) and into Noblesville (46060) it gets a little "funny".

Funny? Funny how, like a clown? Do we amuse you???

My advice, visit first, then make your decision. Carmel is very nice. The mayor is very focused on making it a world class city, kind of like Naperville, IL. But he's catching some flack right now for his rather rude comments about where "service people" can live in Carmel.

Traffic ... ah yes, the buggaboo for all the Fishers Nay-sayers. Don't let that be a deterrant. I've been in nasty Carmel traffic during rush hour on 116th where, in Fishers, it's 4 lanes, and it suddenly turns to 2 lanes in Carmel ... 116th is a major E/W thoroughfare through both towns.

Live where you feel comfortable. The other towns are still available to you no matter where you live.

Carmel people are so funny and territorial.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Carmel is very nice. The mayor is very focused on making it a world class city, kind of like Naperville, IL. But he's catching some flack right now for his rather rude comments about where "service people" can live in Carmel.
Ooooh yeah, I caught that in the Star. Really just rubbed me the wrong way, LOL . Certainly wouldn't want to make me live there!

Domergurl (and any others who want to chime in...) just curious as to why I rarely see Zionsville mentioned whenever people ask about Northern Indy suburbs?

I travel there a couple of times per year for running/cycling races and always find the downtown charming. Are the taxes horrid? Do the citizens turn into flesh-eating aliens after dark?

Not trying to stir up trouble, or hijack the thread, really just curious.
Plus it may prove useful as others search these threads.
Thanks

Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 PM

Zionsville is pretty exclusive. It's a lovely town, but they really are hemming in development and keeping it more upscale.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:58 PM

30 posts, read 65,139 times
Check out Twin Lakes Apartments, possibly Stonegate. Both in Carmel.
The traffic alone should deter you from ne side period, to descibe it a little more in detail for you and domergurl, just look at a map and you can see to get into carmel you can take Michigan Rd, Meridian (31), or Keystone (431) which are all major n/s roads and then the "side" n/s streets are very plentiful (Shelboure,Ditch,Towne,Spring Mill,Rangeline,Westfield blvd and a couple others). All e/w streets on the northside need improving, only problem is if your going to the ne side your choices are just horrible. Allisonville or 69 to 37 (absolutly hands down the worst traffic in and or around indianapolis when it comes to commuting), not to mention your e/w options are even more trouble because you have to get over the White River. Domergurls comments are a little "funny" concerning the traffic, it's a no doubter kinda thing. I have 2 houses in Fishers that I rent (I lived in Fishers for 3 years), and 1 in Westfield and I'm a real estate agent (so I'm a little familiar with the area). So I'm well aware of it and the people in Fishers/Noblesville. I now live in Carmel, domergurl and the other post are correct, there is an "attitude" in Carmel which I can assure you all disgusts me more than any of you, it's more of a money thing, in Fishers there's much more of a hillbilly "thing" going on. Not as bad as Noblesville (right next door)which is refered to as "nobletucky" (because the folks comin up from Kentucky all ran out of gas there). Anyway to make a long story short, you cannot miss moving to Carmel. Good spot. I don't think any of Hamilton County is racially friendly as a matter of fact I know it's not, I have SEVERAL african american and hispanic friends who get stopped by the police ALL the time, but never getting tickets, they just want to know "where ya heading to?". Very very disgusting. Again Carmel is the best on the northside when it comes to race issues. Zionsville, very nice but I think a little too small for someone just moving to the area and not too many young people. There's a Bentley dealership in Zionsville if that tells you anything. Avalon Lake isn't the worst place, I just think there are several better options for you. The last thing for domergurl, if you don't know what I mean by "funny" when I'm descibing Fishers for a young african american couple, I can assure you nothing I can say would help you understand. Hamilton County is a great place to raise a family if you like a very conservative area, great schools, safe. I just have a hard time because there's no culture here, I miss that from living in Chicago. Oh, one more thing the comment posted about the Carmel mayor making comments on where "service people" can live, you're not seriously insinuatiing that Fishers is somehow more "liberal" than Carmel, we don't have or want to have kids and Fishers is a nice town but there's absolutly nothing about Fishers that is better that Carmel, except maybe the waterpark that is going where the Britton golf course used to be (wonder if I'll be able to count all the minivans), oh wait I almost forgot Carmel will be done with it's new water park next year too. I forgot about the fitness center, aquatic center and dog park right on the Monon Trail. Almost (as usual) for Fishers

Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 AM

I'm neither a hillbilly, nor a conservative ... white, yes. We looked at and almost purchased a home in Carmel, but the school system is what swayed us to Fishers. The thought of any of our 3 children attending a high school the size of Carmel made me shiver. At least the school system in Fishers is willing to split up high schools to make them a little more pallatable in size than Carmel, who won't forsake their athletic programs ... nice priorities. I go to Carmel a lot to shop, Gymboree, I enjoy their parks as well. I can participate in their parks programs and enjoy their new waterpark, just like Carmel folks can enjoy what Fishers has to offer.

I just find Fishers a little more down to earth. Yes, there are hillbillies here, but I'll take a down to earth hillbilly over a hoity toidy Carmel person who is more concerned about what shoes they wear in public.

Traffic ... such a non issue if you want a nice quality of life without having to keep up with the Joneses.

Did I mentioned that we are Chicago transplants as well? Traffic on it's worst days on 69/37 (there are alternates btw), is nothing compared to traffic anytime on the Kennedy or Ike inbound or outbound. So again, non issue.

Last edited by domergurl; 01-01-2007 at 08:44 AM..

Old 01-01-2007, 02:56 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,382 times
correct me if I am wrong. I read that Carmel High School (public high school) now has over 3,500 students and that impresses me as being a very high number.

CARMEL HIGH SCHOOL

520 E MAIN ST CARMEL, IN 46032-2259
PHONE: 317-846-7721 SCHOOL TYPE: PUBLIC
PRINCIPAL: JOHN WILLIAMS DISTRICT: CARMEL-CLAY SCHOOLS

Grade Span 10-12 Discretionary $ per Pupil 95

Number of Classrooms 208 Educational Climate HIGH

Number of Students 3,795 Technology Measure HIGH

Full Time Teachers 320 Instructional Computers 730

Students per Teacher 11.0 Internet Access Y

Average Class Size 18.0 Library / Media Center Y

Old 01-01-2007, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 25,711 times
Default Good Places in Indy

B's Mom,

All are good zips, but 46220, which has not yet
been mentioned is the Broad Ripple area. Broad Ripple is certainly
the hippest of the three zips, and perhaps for that reason the most
diverse. Quaint (for Indy) and happenin', it has a nice charm that
is welcoming and fun. The best thing to do is come here and get a feel
for yourself. I think you will gather very quickly impressions of the
local cultures in each place.
Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana